Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Carbon fiber wraps..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon fiber wraps..

what do you guys think about the differnet wraps they have out know. I know to buy a real carbon fiber hood will run you 300 plus but some guys out here were i live are just getting the hood top and trunks wrapped. looks pretty good to me specially if your hood and top is peeling kinda cleans it up a little bit.. what is you opinions on this Ya or Na

Doing something cheap to make it look like something expensive is lame. Not to mention it will look like shit and rightfully so.

As far as interior trim or stuff like that I can understand and it could look good, but its still a fake.
    Doing your hood in $35 pep boys "carbon fiber" wrap is what you see cheap ricer garbage most of the time. But it can look good.

If you cant pay dont play. Thats IMO
    Last edited by TAMPA; 02-12-2013, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Honestly, installing a full carbon fiber hood (that usually doesn't even fit well) when the weight savings isn't needed (as in, it's not a race car) isn't really any worse.
      If all you're going for is the look, then wrapping a part is barely different than using a real CF part... and it'll fit better, and likely last longer.

There are cars on the market now that come from the factory with "carbon fiber trim". I bet many of them aren't actually carbon fiber at all.

The only problem I see with a wrap is when people claim it's real. Because that's just idiotic. Own what you have.

There was a time when I'd have criticized such a thing. A time when I'd make fun of someone for running cheap wheels instead of expensive forged pieces. A time when anything but "the real deal" was shameful. Then I realized that it's not about how many genuine parts you can slam on a car... parts that you'll probably never use for the purpose they were designed or... but how well you can make it all work together for your own purposes. If your car is a daily driver, and won't be seeing any race duty... why spend money on race parts? If your car is basically stock, and you want to autocross it... why take the hit on points by installing a real CF hood or trunk lid? The slight weight savings won't make up for that loss in points!

Comment

would never claim its real so we would be good on that... and if I did do it i would have it professionally put on,, and i must admit it looks pretty fresh.. i can post up a pic if you guys would like,,, if its ricer and you hate it I understand.. Im not saying do it put for wrap they look damn nice too me..

Comment

The good thing about a wrap is that you can do parts that would be nearly impossible to have in CF (at least without a ton of work)... such as the roof.

When my car is finally track-worthy, I'm considering a vinyl wrap with cb7tuner livery, instead of a custom paintjob.

Comment

I have yet to see anything that looks good wrapped in that carbon fiber stuff. I’ve messed around with it a bit and the back side feels and looks like aluminum or something like that. The edges peel up once it’s been suck down and that’s what I see going wrong most of the time.

Like said above, there are cars that come with "carbon fiber look" interior trim pieces that do look awesome.

Maybe it’s just me but it doesn’t look like real carbon fiber at all. Maybe there is some stuff out there that looks closer than what I’ve seen but none as of now that I have seen quite cut it.

Comment

If it's quality stuff, and it's done right, it could look good.
              I'd have to see the finished product to have an opinion. If it can look as good as the real stuff, then I don't see the difference between a wrap or real CF parts when the goal is only appearance. My CF hood (got it in a trade for an incomplete nitrous kit) never quite fit properly, and the clear coat faded. It was a quality, expensive brand, too! My stock hood is back on. CF hood is rotting in the shed.

Comment

I was looking into this because i wanted to wrap my hood instead of plastidip it.If you do yours i would like to see it
                Edit: I dont like the fact that the real cf needs so much care
                Last edited by ferenza; 02-12-2013, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Typically you see it on the same car that has a huge aluminum wing on the back too. That’s what turns me off to the idea. And then some people think that what they are buying is the real deal and will argue to the death about it.

I admit that it can look right be done right and overall look pretty good.

I do like the vinyl wraps that you can cover a whole car in. h311ra151n had his rx7 wrapped in a red bass boat style flake vinyl and it looked amazing. It took like 3 days for us to put on but it was worth it.

Comment

heres a pic the guy has on craigslist.. not sure if he done it himself but its a shop that does it for 80 bucks.. looks good to me..

Comment

Originally posted by TAMPA View Post
                      Typically you see it on the same car that has a huge aluminum wing on the back too. That’s what turns me off to the idea. And then some people think that what they are buying is the real deal and will argue to the death about it.

I admit that it can look right be done right and overall look pretty good.

I do like the vinyl wraps that you can cover a whole car in. h311ra151n had his rx7 wrapped in a red bass boat style flake vinyl and it looked amazing. It took like 3 days for us to put on but it was worth it.
                      Im looking for the SD card with those pics on it. It was pretty sick. I got the idea from this guy, our cars looked almost identical as they were wrapped in the exact same stuff. I took a bit more time on mine though.

Comment

that is crazy shit. how long does that take? does it last long?
                        visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by 2doorhardcore View Post
                          heres a pic the guy has on craigslist.. not sure if he done it himself but its a shop that does it for 80 bucks.. looks good to me..
                          Looks good to me.

Nothing like real carbon fiber. Unless thats how it looks without any resin. Still, it looks like that was a quality job.

Comment

Originally posted by 2doorhardcore View Post
                            That looks great. When a shop does it , they usually dont use that ebay crap and they know what they are doing.I like that

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                            Im looking for the SD card with those pics on it. It was pretty sick. I got the idea from this guy, our cars looked almost identical as they were wrapped in the exact same stuff. I took a bit more time on mine though.

Thats beautiful right there

My friend walked in on this pic and clapped for this

Comment

Originally posted by ferenza View Post
                              That looks great. When a shop does it , they usually dont use that ebay crap and they know what they are doing.I like that

Thats beautiful right there

My friend walked in on this pic and clapped for this
                              my roomate walked in and asked what it was. i said a lolipop
                              visit vgruk

Comment

Working...
                              X