Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FINALLY considering upgrading the board... your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FINALLY considering upgrading the board... your thoughts?

Ok, I'm contemplating an upgrade, finally. With the technical skill of my moderator staff (Eric and Mike, mainly) we should be able to do it fairly easily... we hope.

The last time this board was updated, it was a mess. Not horrible, but a lot of features got screwed up for a while. Steve also went through MAJOR pains to keep the look as close to the original as possible (something I also want to do).

So, are you guys prepared to be patient during an upgrade? I've fought the suggestion in the past, because I know what a headache it has the potential to be. However, now seems like there are enough little improvements that it may be worthwhile.

I want to take it to you guys first. I don't want to have to deal with thread after thread of whining... or my PM box overflowing with "why can't I do this" questions. Things may, and probably will, be buggy as we adapt to the new system. Aside from there being a number of major changes (this software is quite a few versions behind), it'll take a bit for me to get used to them.

The poll above isn't really to make the decision... just to see how people feel. I haven't decided for sure one way or the other yet, and this will be sort of a guideline. Just give me your feedback!

Also, I'm not sure how much the upgrade costs, so I don't know if I can afford it immediately. That may be a bump in the road as well...
    Yeah, go for it! I'll deal with the bugs...
    82.56%
    No way! The old system works... so keep it!
    17.44%

GO for it!
    what would some of the upgrades be? just curious

"Tucking tires and wires."
    The Chronicles.

Comment

ill be hear no matter what = D i say go for upgrades are good.

~Cole~

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what the upgrades will be... if you look at other boards (hondahookup.com has a newer version, I believe) you can see some differences.

I'm sure the admin controls will be a bit more streamlined. There will probably be more options... Things like seller ratings may be doable (though I may not implement that still... I still don't want the board to have a close involvement with sales...)

The thing that prompted the idea was the ability to filter out spam... if you could see the number of deleted spam threads in the Beginner forums (AccordWarrior and I delete at least 5 a day these days it seems) you'd be amazed. It's a small thing, but as I said above, there finally seems to be enough small things that may be improved upon in the new software.

Comment

i was just waiting on this thread to happen deev, go for it.

Comment

I don't mind, but its hard to fill the craving if the site is unavailable for a day or two.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
            where you been, is something wrong?
            i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

I say do it.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

This thread will also serve as an "I told you so" to anyone that complains about the bugs... If you're all for it now, I expect you to be patient as we work through things. It may be perfectly smooth... but I'm expecting and preparing for the worst. I will DEFINITELY back up the entire board structure prior to the upgrade. There is a possibility that we could lose everything (that has always scared me... it's unlikely, but scary nonetheless). During the first week or so, be prepared to lose any new information. It probably won't happen, but be prepared just in case.

Comment

hey we all need some upgrades in our lives..

Go for it
                  .............................-----------------93 Ex Coupe[/COLOR]-----------------

My CD7

Comment

I'm also putting as much as I can up for sale to cover the costs (as well as my rising credit card bill... damn wedding killed me, and I've just been charging the site monthly to my credit card... it's piling up ) If you see anything you want, now is the time to buy! Help me out! Most of it is in my sig. I'll be searching my basement for more stuff tomorrow most likely.

Comment

u got my vote for GO!

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
                      1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
                      2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
                      2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
                      2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
                      2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

do it do it

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

do it..site will be down and i can get some homework done haha
                          that spam needs to go tho..thats bout it..the boards fine...there hasnt been so much scamming going on...but id still try to implement the ebayish sellerish feedbackish programish thingy haha...i like the board how it is now..halloween colors and all..BUT a homepage would be sick..i can add the bulletins on there...as well as have other people or whoever add things such as articles or w.e..typical homepage stuff

Comment

Anyway we can also make backups? I'm sure there are untold gigs going unused in many users computers...I assume making backups can only be done by the person in charge of the server though

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                            where you been, is something wrong?
                            i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

whateva works.....I'm cool with upgrades.
                              1993 Accord LX - Sold
                              93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                              92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                              2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                              2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                              2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                              2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                              2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Working...
                              X