Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to put some Honda into my Mazda...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to put some Honda into my Mazda...

I love my Miata, but it gets MPGs equivalent to a modern V8. Power output is lame (though I don't really care about that, usually.)

Still, I find myself drooling over a K24A2 conversion. Apparently it's becoming rather popular, and 220whp is apparently not an unrealistic number to expect from it. In a car weighing roughly 2200lbs, I'd be looking at low-12-second quarter mile passes, assuming traction isn't an issue. That's faster than many attainable modern V8 powered sports cars!

kmiata.com offers a full conversion kit for $5400. Basically all that I would need is an Element wiring harness, ECU ($400 through kmiata, with a reflash), a custom exhaust (probably about $500 at a local shop), and of course a K24A2 engine.
    In total, it would be about $8000. Very pricey. But I'd be looking at more power than my CB7 had, at least 10mpg more than the Miata currently gets, and modern Honda reliability.

Am I going to do it? Not now. Not anytime soon. Maybe never... depending on whether or not the Miata gets replaced by a TVR in the next few years... but if I hold onto it, it may very well happen! The idea is fascinating. I just wanted to write about it, as I'm probably annoying/scaring the crap out of my wife by constantly talking about it!

i talked the to dude that runs that place at import alliance about 2 years ago. he knows his shit and says hes got a lot more coming.
    COUPE K24

Comment

Steve from HMotors just posted JDM K24A (the TSX equivalent) engines on Instagram for $1200 this morning. The expensive part about K-series swaps these days is really only the transmission. That's not a factor for you in this capacity.

I really find it difficult to bring myself to like brand-swapping with engines. But with Mazdas, I just think it's hard to make an argument for any of the engines they have under their brand. Maybe a Duratec V6, since that came in a few Mazdas. A 60-degree DOHC V6 isn't bad.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

its also funny to hear it rip vtec on the track in his videos and see an miata tearing it up..
        COUPE K24

Comment

That's pretty cool. You can really scare the shit out of her and talk about an LS swap. Maybe a 4g63? Or rotorary.

Sell that Caddy and boom, instant funds.

Comment

Is your lack of fuel economy typical for the NA generation, or just for your specific car?

$8,000 seems like a ton of money for what you get. I'd be more apet to go with a Monster Miata kit and throw a 5.0L in.

It won't be as rev happy as the K series, but the low end torque will change the car.

Comment

Two words:

Flyin' Miata.
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
                i talked the to dude that runs that place at import alliance about 2 years ago. he knows his shit and says hes got a lot more coming.
                Awesome. They seem to know what they're talking about, and I hear great things about the quality of their stuff. If I ever seriously consider doing it, it would be in a few years... so it's nice to know they're probably not going anywhere! It's also nice that the NB Miata shares a LOT with the NA, much as the CD and CB share many similar components. As with the Accords, the similarities give the 1st gen Miata a MUCH longer life. Not that the 1st gen is waning in popularity anyway. It's probably the most sought after generation.

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                Steve from HMotors just posted JDM K24A (the TSX equivalent) engines on Instagram for $1200 this morning. The expensive part about K-series swaps these days is really only the transmission. That's not a factor for you in this capacity.

I really find it difficult to bring myself to like brand-swapping with engines. But with Mazdas, I just think it's hard to make an argument for any of the engines they have under their brand. Maybe a Duratec V6, since that came in a few Mazdas. A 60-degree DOHC V6 isn't bad.
                Yeah, Mazda's engines have always been fairly unimpressive. They're not bad, but they're nothing special when compared to stuff from Honda. Honda's engines are all just so well made. I'm probably a bit biased... but I feel it's justifiable.
                $1200 is about what I've seen K24s going for on ebay, so it's nice to know I could grab one from HMO for that price. I would trust them over pretty much anyone (my H22 is still running strong, and I bought it nearly 14 years ago!)

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                That's pretty cool. You can really scare the shit out of her and talk about an LS swap. Maybe a 4g63? Or rotorary.

Sell that Caddy and boom, instant funds.
                I still love the Caddy, though! I'm honestly not sure what I'd want to replace it with when it's time. A newer CTS-V, perhaps... though the 1st gen is the most special out of the bunch, if the slowest.
                I like the Miata for the low weight and near-perfect weight distribution. A V8 would toss both right out the window. Even an all-aluminum LS swap would be adding at least 150lbs to the front of the car.
                I actually thought about a rotary, but since the "crankshaft" is in the middle of the engine, mounting a rotary in a Miata would require it to sit REALLY low... and it would take a ton of work. If i wanted a rotary, I'd just get an FC convertible. They're a dime a dozen!

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                Is your lack of fuel economy typical for the NA generation, or just for your specific car?

$8,000 seems like a ton of money for what you get. I'd be more apet to go with a Monster Miata kit and throw a 5.0L in.

It won't be as rev happy as the K series, but the low end torque will change the car.
                My fuel economy is typical of the NA. It gets like 22-23mpg. Pretty lame for a 1.6L! In a 2200lb car, a K24 would probably get me 35mpg... maybe more.
                The price is definitely up there. Perhaps it will come down in time. I may even find used kmiata swap parts. The K24 would probably end up being a bit cheaper as well (though maybe not... the H22 never really dropped in price... granted, the K24 is REALLY common.)

A V8 Miata doesn't really appeal to me, oddly. I still want a TVR Chimaera, which is essentially that (in a much less reliable form... ) but I feel a V8 swap would take all the balance away from the Miata, which is what I love most about it. It would turn it into an ungainly mini-Viper. The fuel economy and power potential of a K24 appeals most, as it would leave the balance of the car pretty much as-is... while potentially making it significantly faster than my CTS-V.
                It probably won't ever happen... but it definitely intrigues me!

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                Two words:

Flyin' Miata.
                Turbo kit? Meh. I'd rather go JRSC if I go with any sort of boost at all (that would give me about 140whp... for under $2000.) I drool over their suspension components, though. I REALLY want their frame rail braces and under-body brace! I currently have their coilovers on the car (though they rattle, as coilovers do... I kinda want to yank them for some good shocks and static springs.)

Comment

It's sadly spot on, Mike. An all aluminum LS with a manual transmission is 500lbs. That's rounded up, but significant none the less.

The NA (BP? Idk if you have a 1.6 or a 1.8) engine and transmission would be around 360lbs. I guess it's worth it if you want the reliability of an up to date all motor v8. Flying Miata also has the kits, sir.

Check this out! When I worked at O'reillys, a dude came in from a place called Garage Zero here in ATL. They do swaps on old Japanese chassis. It was a KE Corolla with a 13b. He bottomed out and smashed the oil cooler on the way to Import Alliance.

Sorry for the but I wanted to share these pics with somebody for a while.

Comment

When my brother had his NB, he wanted to do the same thing and I was entirely behind it. You really can't beat the modern performance and reliability of a newer Honda engine combined with the RWD, weight, and balance of a NA Miata!

About the awful fuel economy, I always suggested finding a 6 speed transmission from a later NB and dropping that in. Since they shared the same 1.8L as the older ones I assume it would bolt right up? It would probably increase your highway fuel economy and get rid of the 4K RPM highway cruising which was always annoying.

A 6 speed transmission and a supercharger always sounded fun to me too....
                    Originally posted by deevergote.
                    And please, for the love of God, type like a human being!

Comment

This was at AutoZone the other day. Do this, haha.

AutoZone sells shirts now. Crazy.

Comment

Monster truck!

I have the 1.6 in my car. It's a 90. The oldest Miata you can get here. The 6 speed from the newer NB would probably fit, though. Still, it's more the engine, rather than the transmission, that lacks fuel efficiency. It just... isn't. I mean, it's not awful, especially compared to my CTS-V, but it's pretty bad for a 1.6L making such little power!

If I ever swapped, it would definitely be a K. The cost is quite unreasonable, but it could be worth it to me if I decide to keep the Miata (or [i]A[/i Miata) for many years. I could store the original engine and stuff, and swap it back in when/if I part with the car.
                        I like the idea of a V8 swap, but given the cost of that, I'll just buy a TVR in a few years and have something with a factory V8. In all honesty, that will probably be the Miata's replacement anyway.

Rotary Corollas are VERY common sights at the drag strip near me. Guys show up with these little rotary swapped beasties, pop the engines on the track (pissing everyone off in the process), and they swap in a spare engine in the time it takes to clean the track. They show up with a spare 13b or two in a van. It's hilarious, and impressive.

Comment

Has anyone done an F20C swap from an S2000? I'm sure it won't get any better fuel economy, but doubling the hp would be nice, and it shouldn't weigh any more right?

member's ride thread
                          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                          91 Accord SE 176k
                          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

$8000 for 220 wheel is completely unreasonable. You could turbo the 1.6 and get that power for a 1/4 of that cost. Actually a friend of mine years ago bought a turbo'd and tuned 92 all done for like $3500. Granted it ate a diff under abuse but later LSD diff installed and fixed. Something like 200whp, scary fast, and it was just stock DSM parts. Nothing trick or expensive really.
                            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Yeah, but the K24 would provide that power with greater reliability and fuel economy. A boosted 1.6 would give me V8 fuel economy and questionable reliability (especially if I did it on a budget!)
                              Honestly, the power combined with the greater efficiency and reliability is what is attractive to me. Power alone, yeah... there are easier and cheaper ways to do it. But having the stock H22 in my CB7 providing years of reliable, efficient, entertaining power got me hooked on having that sort of setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X