Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I might need to buy another car for a work commute. Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know Accords were mentioned (4th and 5th Gen), but you could also look into a 1st Gen Acura CL. Its built on the CD chassis, and many parts are cross compatible (not all, but a good amount). The '97 shares the F22B1 from the 5th Gen, while the 98-98 had the F23 or J30. The '97s are more desired IMO, since they don't have the auto transmission issues. But if you get a 2.3 5-speed you're good. I've actually been looking at them for my sister, and it may seem crazy, but at least in SoCal, in the same price range, the CLs you can find are WAY cleaner than the Accords, and typically have lower miles.

And the interiors are much nicer to boot. I just swapped my stock LX lower interior to a CL, and man its a HUGE difference. Plus digital climate control, power everything, and even optional heated seats.
    Last edited by Corweena; 06-25-2017, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      "cheap, efficient, reliable beater"
      CB7 with rust and minor body damage.

"interesting daily that makes a statement, while being affordable, reliable, and reasonably efficient"
      CB7, lowered, lip kit, light tint, jdm headlights w/projector retrofit, oem fogs, clean exterior, H22

"something different and useful"
      CB9

Yep, seems like it fits any car.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Mike, I noticed your figure of $50/week in gas costs. Have you considered leasing an EV? With today's rebates you might be able to lease a Leaf for less than $200/month.

Or better yet, just buying a lightly used EV. They are seriously cheap on the used car market. If you have the provisions to charge at work, all the better.
        Original-Owner 1991 Honda Accord
        2005 Acura TSX 6MT
        2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
          CB7 with rust and minor body damage.

CB7, lowered, lip kit, light tint, jdm headlights w/projector retrofit, oem fogs, clean exterior, H22

CB9

Yep, seems like it fits any car.

LOL'd at this!

I wholeheartedly agree with Sonikaccord
          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by Nurega View Post
            Mike, I noticed your figure of $50/week in gas costs. Have you considered leasing an EV? With today's rebates you might be able to lease a Leaf for less than $200/month.

Or better yet, just buying a lightly used EV. They are seriously cheap on the used car market. If you have the provisions to charge at work, all the better.
            I've actually given that some thought. My new job even has charging stations outside the corporate office! Someone has a Tesla.
            A used Leaf could be had for $7000 or so, if I looked hard enough. They're not bad cars. If I could charge it at work, I wouldn't need much of a charging setup at home. That was always one frustrating part about EVs. I have a driveway that is one car wide and 3 cars deep. We tend to keep two cars in it at a time. The only part with access to an outlet is the back, meaning I'd need to reserve the entire driveway for my EV if I plan on charging at home!

Comment

There's also this: https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/6155742450.html

Probably gets good gas milage, as long as you don't need to haul much.
              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Looks like a Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust!

Comment

Read through the thread-

I guess if you get tired of DD the CTS, then I'd say go with a CB9/CD9 or if you want some sporty or comfortable, a 1st gen TSX or CL seemed like the best suggestions.

Comment

I'm all over the place... Last night I was researching diesel benzes. And there's a sweet mazdaspeed protege for sale in a parking lot near my work.

I've come to realize that I can split the commute duty between the caddy and something else. That gives me some wiggle room.

Comment

I'm all over the place... Last night I was researching diesel benzes. And there's a sweet mazdaspeed protege for sale in a parking lot near my work.

I've come to realize that I can split the commute duty between the caddy and something else. That gives me some wiggle room.
                      The Mazdaspeed would be a great option, not because its a good car but because if those things are anything like my brother's 10 MS3 they have absolutely no aftermarket support.. Since were are family in here, I will tell you what i told my brother; you need to figure out what direction you want to go first and then narrow down, right now you are all over the place like a kid with a buck in a candy store. I hope you don't take offense to that Mike.
                      [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

motorcycle/something with 2 wheels?
                        Originally posted by wed3k
                        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                          The Mazdaspeed would be a great option, not because its a good car but because if those things are anything like my brother's 10 MS3 they have absolutely no aftermarket support.. Since were are family in here, I will tell you what i told my brother; you need to figure out what direction you want to go first and then narrow down, right now you are all over the place like a kid with a buck in a candy store. I hope you don't take offense to that Mike.
                          MS3 has no aftermarket support? I find that surprising! I do like those.

The MSP would be cool, despite needing a turbo to do what Honda did in the GS-R a decade earlier. Still, Mazda makes fun underpowered cars!

And yeah, I'm in no position to buy anything right now, so that's exactly what I'm doing. Trying on a bunch of stuff to see what fits!
                          When I first started shopping for the car that ended up being the CTS-V, I looked into a bunch of stuff... started with a Chrysler Crossfire, then fixated on an Audi S4, and eventually settled on the relatively inexpensive CTS-V. It was practical, checked the important boxes, and I could get a decent example for the money I was willing to spend.
                          When I started shopping for what became the Miata, I looked at the S2000 and MR2. MR2 was overpriced for what it was (3rd gen only... I wanted a roadster, and I didn't want someone's project... 3rd gen MR2s are mostly unmodified, because they're pretty universally hated.) S2000 was out of the price range I was willing to spend, unless I wanted one that needed work. I settled on the Miata, and it was definitely the right choice!

I'm just feeling out what my wants and needs are now, and looking to find the right balance. Unique, affordable, reliable, enjoyable, and... I dunno... something that I don't feel like a shlub parking next to the Audis and BMWs in my work's parking lot. I know that's silly... it's a conveyance, and nobody but me cares what I drive... but I want it for the same reason I wear a tie when everyone else is wearing a polo... I just like the presentation. Even if it's just for me!

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                          motorcycle/something with 2 wheels?
                          Way too dangerous on NJ roads. I'm afraid to drive the Miata on this commute due to it's relative fragility and invisibility to idiot commuters!
                          My wife would sooner break my kneecaps than let me get a motorcycle anyway (and my mother would probably fly up from Florida to help her! ) If I wasn't 30 highway miles away, I'd likely have considered a scooter. I'd LOVE a Ruckus... but rt295 is an absolute nightmare in a car. I'd need a change of drawers every day if I was doing it on a bike.

Comment

MS3 has no aftermarket support? I find that surprising! I do like those.

The MSP would be cool, despite needing a turbo to do what Honda did in the GS-R a decade earlier. Still, Mazda makes fun underpowered cars!

And yeah, I'm in no position to buy anything right now, so that's exactly what I'm doing. Trying on a bunch of stuff to see what fits!
                            When I first started shopping for the car that ended up being the CTS-V, I looked into a bunch of stuff... started with a Chrysler Crossfire, then fixated on an Audi S4, and eventually settled on the relatively inexpensive CTS-V. It was practical, checked the important boxes, and I could get a decent example for the money I was willing to spend.
                            When I started shopping for what became the Miata, I looked at the S2000 and MR2. MR2 was overpriced for what it was (3rd gen only... I wanted a roadster, and I didn't want someone's project... 3rd gen MR2s are mostly unmodified, because they're pretty universally hated.) S2000 was out of the price range I was willing to spend, unless I wanted one that needed work. I settled on the Miata, and it was definitely the right choice!

I'm just feeling out what my wants and needs are now, and looking to find the right balance. Unique, affordable, reliable, enjoyable, and... I dunno... something that I don't feel like a shlub parking next to the Audis and BMWs in my work's parking lot. I know that's silly... it's a conveyance, and nobody but me cares what I drive... but I want it for the same reason I wear a tie when everyone else is wearing a polo... I just like the presentation. Even if it's just for me!

Way too dangerous on NJ roads. I'm afraid to drive the Miata on this commute due to it's relative fragility and invisibility to idiot commuters!
                            My wife would sooner break my kneecaps than let me get a motorcycle anyway (and my mother would probably fly up from Florida to help her! ) If I wasn't 30 highway miles away, I'd likely have considered a scooter. I'd LOVE a Ruckus... but rt295 is an absolute nightmare in a car. I'd need a change of drawers every day if I was doing it on a bike.
                            I used to work at a Mazda dealership a decade ago and loved those Speed 3 over the 6 and even the Miata; miatas are weird, they are small but feel big once you are sitting inside one. MS3 pumps have to be rebuilt using an internal kit,Injectors were non existent until recently i believe(my brother said), the bottom end is almost maxed out at 263hp and although a downpipe/intercooler upgrade works wonders the engine cannot handle the power. My brother somewhat regrets getting his and has his eye on a subaru.
                            [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Subaru is another one that can't take much power without a significant investment. They CAN make power, but there's a threshold that costs a fortune to cross. The flat brim vaper tax is real, too (buy used, you'll probably get some dumbass's project.)

I never sat in a 3rd gen Miata. The 1st and 4th are awesome, though. Perfect size for me! And I'm not a small guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X