CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 09-28-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
Merganser
Newcomer

Merganser is cool... so far.
F with H internals

I couldn't find the answer in any of the threads, so here goes...

Destroked f23a(1) 87mm bore
w/
stock H23a1 replacement pistons
w/
H23A bluetop Crank and Rods

Would it work?

Going for a smog friendly DD, GT

mad props!!
Merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:44 PM   #2
jamin_jacob
CB7tuner Member

jamin_jacob is cool... so far.
http://www.zealautowerks.com/hfseries.html

http://fuelinjectorclinic.com/flow-calculator
Old 10-14-2018, 01:00 AM   #3
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
Is there a purpose for wanting to bore the engine other than to fit the larger H23A1 pistons? More specifically, what I'm asking is if increasing the displacement is the goal and the pistons are a means to that end, or, do you find the resulting compression ratio of that combo ideal and it necessitates a bore increase?

Regardless, there are two things you're likely not considering. One, the H23A1 pistons use a press-fit pin, and the H23A VTEC rods are compatible with floating pins. The rod bushing would need to be taken out to new "floating" clearances. Also, the H23A VTEC rods are unique in the fact that there are actually 141mm instead of 141.5mm like the H23A1 and F22s. This is because Honda wanted to use a 31mm tall piston as is used in the H22A. So since the stroke and rod length is ideal for a piston of 31mm, putting a 31.5mm piston in would drop it .020" in the hole. While the resulting compression ratio on paper is decent, it wouldn't have good quench area qualities.

I believe a different piston could be found that is more ideal.

The USDM H22A4 piston would solve the quench issue while maintaining a similar compression ratio to what the combination in the OP would have. It would also be compatible with the wrist-pin of the rods. H22A Type-S pistons would do the same, only with a slightly higher compression ratio.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: