Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Horrible squeaking noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horrible squeaking noise

I'm having this horrendous squeaking noise coming from my front passenger wheel and only happens when I turn left, any tips on what to look for??

ball joints may be bad . mine where and made that noise .
    this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
    How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
    Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Check your ball joints ASAP

If they start making that noise they are in DIRE need of replacement

Normally they break before they make that noise, if they get to making that noise than that means they're very far gone

Check the upper, lower and outer tie rod ball joints.

Comment

if you don't there is a pic in here that can be you.http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ht=ball+joints
        this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
        How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
        Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Originally posted by BWR28 View Post
          I'm having this horrendous squeaking noise coming from my front passenger wheel and only happens when I turn left, any tips on what to look for??
          Is it a very rythmic noise, like squeek...squeek...squeek, or is it random like squeek..squeek............squeek?

If its rythmic, you may also want to check your brakes up front. Ive had customers come into our shop with a noise like that, and usually its a pad adbutment clip (pad shim) that sits too close to the rotor, and only contacts the rotor during high stress turns, and generally the rotor is slightly warped, which will also the shim to contact and sqeek with each revolution of the rotor. Does the noise go away if you brake while turning?

Also, if it only occurs while your driving left, this puts more pressure on the RF wheel bearing. But if you bearing is literally squeeking, its beyond horrible! But dont laugh, I once had a Nissan XTerra come in that a young chick was driving, the wheel bearing was so toasted, melted, and loose, it was squeeking and grinding as we pulled it in!

Also, turn your wheel to the same angle that you hear the squeek while your driving, and have a look while its parked to see if anything is contacting the rim, tire, or rotor etc. Good luck

EDIT: thought of another cause: Do you have steel wheels with wheel covers? Sometimes the cheap piece of shit wheel covers from autozone and walmart can rub against the tire too, and that causes them to move against the rim and squeek.
          Last edited by ON_N20; 11-14-2012, 11:19 PM.
          ON_N20
          Nitrous = Been there. Turbo = Now. Nitrous + Turbo?... LOADING

Comment

Yeah it's a consistent sqeak when I turn left, but sometimes it does it when I'm just driving, but 99% of the time it's when I turn left

EDIT- matter of fact, it only started making the noise after I changed my brakes
            Last edited by BWR28; 11-15-2012, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Stand outside the car and have someone recreate the noise while you are looking for the offending component.

Comment

Originally posted by BWR28 View Post
                Yeah it's a consistent sqeak when I turn left, but sometimes it does it when I'm just driving, but 99% of the time it's when I turn left

EDIT- matter of fact, it only started making the noise after I changed my brakes
                Then definatly check out the brakes again. Did you replace the pad abutment clips that fit between the pad and the caliper bracket? (You always should, or at least clean and lube). You may have shifted them slightly and caused them to contact the rotor like I explained earlier.

Also if you just did your brakes and did not lubricate the pads where they meet the clips, and if your rotor is slightly out of round, you could get a squeek noise from the pad shifting slightly as you are driving from the slight contact it makes from the rotor. This can happen in a straight line, or be more pronounced during a turn... like how your car is behaving. My girlfriends sable is doing this right now, so I am familiar with the noise and the cause, but Im just too lazy to fix it right now I get tired of being the family mechanic!

Did you replace the rotors as well? Im assuming you didnt, since they are a pain in the ass on our accords.

My reccomendation at this point, would be to recheck the brake work, and ensure that the surfaces are cleaned and lubed properly (clean and lube the pad to clip area, lube the BACK sides of the pads that touch the caliper piston, and caliper backing, and lube the caliper bracket slides preferably with a silicone based lubricant). Also if you havent already, replace or machine the rotors. If you dont want to get in to deep, bring your car to a shop with an on car brake lathe - they can machine the rotors on-car, and you wont need to go through the trouble of replacement.
                ON_N20
                Nitrous = Been there. Turbo = Now. Nitrous + Turbo?... LOADING

Comment

Sounds to me like your power steering fluid is low. I went through this earlier with my car.
                  92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
                  2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
                  2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

If it's coming from the passenger side, it's not power steering. That's directly in front of the driver.

Check ball joints. If the boots are torn, the joint must be replaced ASAP. Most ball joints don't warn you... they just fail, and you'll lose control of your car.

Next, check your wheels. First, make sure the wheels are properly mounted. Loose lug nuts could make noise (and be very dangerous.) Check your wheel bearings by grabbing the wheel at 12 and 6 (as on a clock) and alternating push/pull with each hand. If there's play, the bearing is bad. Replace it. Check your brake pads. Sometimes, when pads are beginning to reach the wear indicator, they will squeak when turning. My Fit does this regularly, as I tear through brakes about twice a year.
                    While you're down there, examine all bushings, boots, and shocks. Replace anything that shows signs of damage. If any rubber boot/covering shows damage, replace the component it is protecting.

Comment

Solved!

So I got in there again, took a look at everything, and realized it was a damn brake pad clip making the noise! All my bearings are great, thanks for all the advice! Now I can start back up on actual motor work again lol

Comment

Working...
                      X