ST swaybar kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ST swaybar kit?

Hey guys, so my front swaybar is totally destroyed from my little curb accident. There's that ST front and rear swaybar kit on eBay for $360-ish dollars, wondering if that's the best way to go, or if anyone else has used it.

I'll need to grab an EX rear crossmember to bolt up the rear sway bar, correct?

I've heard a good rear sway bar on CB7s makes a huge difference, so I'm kind of excited to put one on!

PS. I'm definitely going to get a lifetime alignment from Firestone, I take my suspension apart every month it seems
    I'm faster then a prius

The rear ST sway bar mounts different then the stock sway bar. Any model subframe will work with the rear ST bar. The bars together make the car much more fun to drive, and neutral it out quite a bit.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
      The rear ST sway bar mounts different then the stock sway bar. Any model subframe will work with the rear ST bar. The bars together make the car much more fun to drive, and neutral it out quite a bit.
      Oh okay, I'll have to look up on how the rear bar is installed.

I'll probably end up going with that kit.

Thanks Rilas!
      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Here is how the rear is mounted.

Rear ST Sway Bar 1

Rear ST Sway Bar 2

Rear ST Sway Bar 3
        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I'm not sold on the front bar. I've driven CB ACcords in nearly every configuration, too.

22mm front/nothing on the rear
          22mm front/14mm on the rear
          22mm front/16mm on the rear
          25mm front/14mm on the rear
          25mm front/16mm on the rear
          25mm front/22mm Progress solid on the rear

For my current Accord, I have a 27.2mm front sway bar from a '94-'97 EX hanging on the wall I've been meaning to powdercoat and install. Based on previous driving experiences, I think I'd almost prefer to leave the 25mm bar on there. In no way am I a suspension engineer, but I feel more confident with a larger rear bar and the current 25mm front bar. I'm putting a J35 in the car this fall, and that may predicate a change to even stiffer front springs causing me to want to go down to the DX/LX 22mm front bar. We'll have to see.

Now, a lot of this isn't universal because it comes down to your spring rates. You can think of your sway bar as an additional spring for each "axle" that only enters into the equation during lateral forces, such as cornering. It's additional resistance to compression countered by an opposing force on the opposite side of the axle. So how much sway bar you need largely depends on what you're using it for, and what your spring rates are front and rear.

For any of these, I would strongly suggest urethane bushings to get the most out of whichever bar you use. Possibly even some lateral locks from companies like Whiteline.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I've heard a number of people say they didn't like the feel of the front bar (or any upgraded front sway bar.) I believe the complaint was that it increased understeer noticeably. Not a good thing.

ST is good stuff, though. Do research and see if it will do what you want it to do. I found that the best upgrade in the front was a quality traction bar. The Collective Racing bar that I had is long discontinued, but I believe there is at least one company that still makes a good one.

Comment

Huh. So I might just want to stick with stock sized front swaybar?

The ST kit has a 27mm front. Stock is 22mm?
              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                Here is how the rear is mounted.

Rear ST Sway Bar 1

Rear ST Sway Bar 2

Rear ST Sway Bar 3
                Sweet! Thanks.
                I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                  I'm not sold on the front bar. I've driven CB ACcords in nearly every configuration, too.

22mm front/nothing on the rear
                  22mm front/14mm on the rear
                  22mm front/16mm on the rear
                  25mm front/14mm on the rear
                  25mm front/16mm on the rear
                  25mm front/22mm Progress solid on the rear

For my current Accord, I have a 27.2mm front sway bar from a '94-'97 EX hanging on the wall I've been meaning to powdercoat and install. Based on previous driving experiences, I think I'd almost prefer to leave the 25mm bar on there. In no way am I a suspension engineer, but I feel more confident with a larger rear bar and the current 25mm front bar. I'm putting a J35 in the car this fall, and that may predicate a change to even stiffer front springs causing me to want to go down to the DX/LX 22mm front bar. We'll have to see.

Now, a lot of this isn't universal because it comes down to your spring rates. You can think of your sway bar as an additional spring for each "axle" that only enters into the equation during lateral forces, such as cornering. It's additional resistance to compression countered by an opposing force on the opposite side of the axle. So how much sway bar you need largely depends on what you're using it for, and what your spring rates are front and rear.

For any of these, I would strongly suggest urethane bushings to get the most out of whichever bar you use. Possibly even some lateral locks from companies like Whiteline.
                  So the stiffer your spring rate, the more you would want a smaller bar? My coilovers are pretty stiff, as you would expect. My sway bar is extremely sketchy right now with how it's mounted, and it's metal to metal on one of the sway bar bushings, so I've been able to hear when the sway bar is moving.

I could just go pull a stock sized sway bar, and get a progress rear bar, everyone loves those!
                  I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    I've heard a number of people say they didn't like the feel of the front bar (or any upgraded front sway bar.) I believe the complaint was that it increased understeer noticeably. Not a good thing.

ST is good stuff, though. Do research and see if it will do what you want it to do. I found that the best upgrade in the front was a quality traction bar. The Collective Racing bar that I had is long discontinued, but I believe there is at least one company that still makes a good one.
                    innovative is one that makes the traction bar

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                      Stock is 22mm?
                      Stock front size on the DX/LX is 22mm. The EX/SE uses a 25mm front bar.
                      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Working...
                      X