nominal oil temp & pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nominal oil temp & pressure

I just installed 3 gauges. Oil temp, oil pressure and coolant temp. Gauges look cool as shit. I will post some pics as soon as i get them mounted. I went with the prosport premium evo gauges 52mm. They got audible warnings. Now i am wondering what is the nominal oil temp and oil pressure so i can set my low and hi warnings. I am assuming oil temp would be no higher than 190 and pressure idk. Maybe no higher than 100 for pressure. the coolant temp is a no brainer.

You might be surprised about the oil temp. I will have to check to be 100% but I'm pretty sure it's closer to the 212*F range... only saying this based on the fact that today's engines are designed to operate at temperatures that will enable the removal of water and other crap via vaporization. These vapours are then removed through the crank case ventilation system aka PCV.

Boiling temp of water is 212*F, at sea level.... only makes sense that oil temps would be right around there, if not a wee bit higher. You location would dictate that it would be a bit lower due to the elevation but OEM would be +212*F.

ECT's are usually in the 190 -210*F so it wouldn't be a far stretch to see the oil a bit hotter. Again I will confirm Honda's specs when I have a minute to look through my manuals.

Oil pressure @ ECT of 175-180*F.
    Idle 700-800RPM = 10psi
    3000 RPM = 50psi

Stock thermostat starts to open at 170-175*F and fully open @ 194*F. The OEM ECT sensor is set up to measure temps from -4*F to 248*F
    Last edited by GhostAccord; 03-12-2017, 10:00 PM.
    MR Thread
    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Cool. this is good to know setting up these gauges. i was shocked a little by the low oil pressure as it sits at 9 or 10 when warmed up and at idle. Not sure how the low warning is going to help me setting it at 9 so it doesn't beep all the time. I set the coolant temp to 205, oil temp to 220 and oil pressure low warning to 9. I will see how this goes. BTW anyone who installs digital gauges without a visor, don't. Get a needle one. I do wish now i would of gotten ones with a needle instead as no visor equals glare and needles are much easier to read in glare.

Comment

My oil pressure gets at 80 psi when at 2k rpms. Is this normal?

Comment

Working...
        X