EXT: S2000 antenna install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: S2000 antenna install

While I am normally on H-T I found this thread and its a great write up, the original poster is SearchBeforeUPost! . Here is the original thread: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=820243

But for ease I will copy it to here...enjoy

Hey folks, I did a little how-to this afternoon about installing an s2k antenna on your accord. I did this a year ago on my 91 EX, and have had NO problems ever since. The reception is still the same, and there is no water leakage in my trunk because of this. If you find that your reception is a little bad, you can get a booster from Radio Shack.
    Here is what you need:

1. The sexy S2k Antenna
    2. An install kit made for a DC2 integra. I bought my kit from user "RStoR" and it has everything you need to install. If you are feeling DIYish, you can source all of the parts from Home Depot. The kit I got from RStoR cost me about $20 if I remember correctly, and it includes instructions. The only thing that you might have trouble making on your own is the wire piece. Anyway, here is what you need.
    3. The rubber insert and silver nut from your old antenna set-up.

First step of course is to fix yourself a drink or puff one down. Second step is to remove the old antenna. I had a power antenna like most other Accords out there:

Now you are left with this gaping hole:

Now you are going to want to start piecing your kit together like this:

The PVC pipe part goes on the underside of the body, and the part you saved from your old antenna goes inside of that from the top of the body...

Now one side of your PVC is angled, that is to match the contour of the body. You can see how it is going to fit together:

Start trial fitting everything in place minus the antenna:

This is how it will start to look inside the trunk. Disregard the wire part right now...

No more cb7, 7 years of ownership and 196K on the ticker before she was sold

Current beast: 98 ej8 on 7psi with a 15g turbo and other goodies!

NREMT-B | 300D and some glass

wow, that was easy but it looks just like a rubber antenna i bought for 8 bucks...
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

that s2k attena looks like all the vw attenas. i havent had my attena on my car since the day i bought it... radio stations around here suck
      1991 JDM Galant VR-4

Comment

thats my how-to everyone..

The S2000 antenna is different from the VW antennas. The VW antennas are longer and more floppy. VW owners commonly replace their antennas with the S2000 one, like my friend did on his VR6 jetta.

Comment

PART 2

Ok, here is an important part. Before you screw your antenna into the base, you want to put a little washer on it. This keeps the screw part from ripping out and you having to order another antenna

Now I said that I installed mine a year ago, but today I decided I would paint that silver nut black for sTunNa points...

While I was waiting for the paint to dry, I also sawed the excess threaded part off with a hacksaw.

Ok. The paint dried, have another drink, and you are ready to finalize your installation.
          Trial fit everything again...

You can now play with the angle you want your antenna to sit at by spining the PVC peice inside the trunk. Until now, my antenna was straight up and down, but I now have it sitting at a more S2000-like angle:

Tighten everything down. DON'T overtighten the antenna. It just needs to be hand tight, not to 180 foot pounds like your axle nuts. Its not going to fly off, trust me.
          I tucked that wire behind the panel, but if you still have your trunk trim in you won't see it anyway.

Thats it! As an added bonus, you can remove the wire for the power antenna motor (and the factory CD changer while you're in there) and shave 0.000000001 off of your quarter mile time! Look for that how to in the future, as I rip apart my wire harness and remove all the unecessary wires! I read that the 3rd gen RX7's wire harness was redesigned in some year to shorten the route of wires to save weight. And we all want to save weight, don't we?

Some pics of the finished product:

As far as theft, when you tighten everything down from inside the trunk, if you try to remove just the antenna itself the entire assembly including the base will spin. I am not saying that it won't come off, but it would be harder than just unscrewing one from an s2k, celica, jetta, etc.

Parts list: everything you see in that picture. I would suggest ordering your antenna, and once you recieve it bring it to Home Depot with you. You can then size the nuts, coupler, and threaded piece. I will measure the PVC diameter today, although I am sure it is the smallest one you could buy. The cable is simply TV cable, with a male antenna connector on one end and that yellow thingy on the other end. You don't really need that much length of cable, half of that would be plenty.

------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry I tried to post part 2 yesterday but it was messing with my emotions :crook:

Comment

good job. i have the kit just not the antenna.

u still have a spare antenna mask?
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

i'm assuming you meant mast, and no I don't. I sold it with the motor to a CB7 tuner member.

At work we have an "03 Acura 3.5 RL with a tiny antenna, I think that I am going to order one of those and see how it looks instead of the S2K one.

Comment

OMG!! thank's soo much! I wanted a diy liek this for some time, I don't listen to my radio since the antenna makes that shitty noise, and everyone makes fun of me for it.. so, what do i need to get, and how much..also, where can I get it all? I can get the antenna at honda, but who knows how much..I would perfer someplace near, as ordering stuff online just isn't getting ehre fast enough for me..so, please, name all I need, so I may complete this soon..I got a home depot, ace hardware, lowe's..etc around here..

-A. Swift
                CB7 member number 137
                Black Doubt Crew member #2
                Ebay Whore Club member #5

-I was at the dentist, breathin' in some nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and all of a sudden..I ran faster!!!

AIM: boostinswifty38

alipne 7995 deck, pioneer 400w 4 ch amp, and all the wires for sale..500 obo!

R/C cars and a heli for sale..2 airbrushes, paints, bodies galore..etc etc..tc3 and xxx buggy for sale..400 for it all! hit me up for details n pics

Comment

OMG!! thank's soo much! I wanted a diy liek this for some time, I don't listen to my radio since the antenna makes that shitty noise, and everyone makes fun of me for it.. so, what do i need to get, and how much..also, where can I get it all? I can get the antenna at honda, but who knows how much..I would perfer someplace near, as ordering stuff online just isn't getting ehre fast enough for me...
                  Well you can either get it from honda any 2001-2003 s2k antenna will do, they run like 20 some bucks...or you can buy it from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com very fast shipping and theirs runs like 14 bucks

Comment

Great write up and pics too.

My Cardomain

Current Score: Cops - IV Me - V
                    Quote of the moment: "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."
                    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
                    Simulation Racing Thread i.e. PC, PS2 & XBOX

Comment

ok, where can I get this DC2 kit you speak of? Is this all I need, and what size PVC pipe did you use? What angle cut, how long, and how wide is it?

-A. Swift
                      CB7 member number 137

-I was at the dentist, breathin' in some nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and all of a sudden..I ran faster!!!

R/C cars and a heli for sale..2 airbrushes, paints, bodies galore..etc etc..tc3 and xxx buggy for sale..400 for it all! hit me up for details n pics

Comment

Yea. I'm still trying to find somewhere to buy that cable to use. Or the kit itself. anyone find it?

Comment

I suggest you get the kit from this guy:

b18c510@hotmail.com

His name user name on HT is RStoR.

Comment

Just emailed him. Hope to be able to get the kit ASAP.

Comment

lemme know how it goes, and for how much..

-A. Swift
                              CB7 member number 137

Comment

Working...
                              X