CB7 Feature on High-Performance Handling Handbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lokuputha View Post
    Koni Yellow dampers with some Neuspeed race springs, or a set of FFII's might be better than what they have spec'd out for their suspension. This article is a good 10 years old.
    Neuspeed Sports are good too...

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Talk about old school. My future rim fitment's gonna be similar to that...

Comment

I am really debating getting a bigger rear sway... with Goodyear Eagle RS-As and 440/300# springs on Illuminas the car does NOT break traction under nearly any circumstances (I have yet to), but it leans so heavily. I almost feel like I don't have sway bars. I'm at the absolute limit of the balance of handling and traction spring/shock wise (Yellows would def improve low speed damping but it's not worth the $$$ to me), but a rear sway would keep the lean in check. Hopefully keep a little weight off the outside tires and prevent scrubbing.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Wow, this is awesome. I just recently have been looking into what I'm going to run for my suspension setup and this is extremely helpful.

Comment

That build uses Illumina shocks, which are pretty crappy honestly. Even the AGX is a better shock, and most definitely a Koni, and some full coilovers. They were able to achieve high skidpad g's with that setup, so using today's better parts and technology, a 1g cb7 isn't unreasonable at all. I bet Ronald_Type-R's does more than that.
            There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
              That build uses Illumina shocks, which are pretty crappy honestly. Even the AGX is a better shock, and most definitely a Koni, and some full coilovers. They were able to achieve high skidpad g's with that setup, so using today's better parts and technology, a 1g cb7 isn't unreasonable at all. I bet Ronald_Type-R's does more than that.
              On the CB7 I find the AGX to be completely inferior to the Illumina. Doesn't have enough travel, doesn't last as long, and the damping curves seem to be no better.
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                On the CB7 I find the AGX to be completely inferior to the Illumina. Doesn't have enough travel, doesn't last as long, and the damping curves seem to be no better.
                I don't know about longevity, but the AGX tends to have better or equivalent compression numbers from what I've seen, and there is usually less crosstalk on the AGX. The compression has a greater affect on planting the wheels and that is where the illumina seems to lack. The rebound adjustment is generally better on the illumina though from what I've seen. I haven't seen graphs from the CB7 specifically, but I have for a couple of other cars...a mustang and a civic. I imagine the trends would be similar though because the technology on the inside of each shock is the same across multiple applications. Have you seen any cb7 graphs?

Comment

I don't know about longevity, but the AGX tends to have better or equivalent compression numbers from what I've seen, and there is usually less crosstalk on the AGX. The compression has a greater affect on planting the wheels and that is where the illumina seems to lack. The rebound adjustment is generally better on the illumina though from what I've seen. I haven't seen graphs from the CB7 specifically, but I have for a couple of other cars...a mustang and a civic. I imagine the trends would be similar though because the technology on the inside of each shock is the same across multiple applications. Have you seen any cb7 graphs?
                  My car came with AGXs and I replaced them with Tokico Illuminas which have allowed the car to handle much better.

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                  I am really debating getting a bigger rear sway... with Goodyear Eagle RS-As and 440/300# springs on Illuminas the car does NOT break traction under nearly any circumstances (I have yet to), but it leans so heavily. I almost feel like I don't have sway bars. I'm at the absolute limit of the balance of handling and traction spring/shock wise (Yellows would def improve low speed damping but it's not worth the $$$ to me), but a rear sway would keep the lean in check. Hopefully keep a little weight off the outside tires and prevent scrubbing.
                  Have you experienced understeer yet?

Adding a rear sway bar will help to fix the problem of understeering.

Comment

Originally posted by gcvphoto View Post
                    My car came with AGXs and I replaced them with Tokico Illuminas which have allowed the car to handle much better.
                    If the car came with the AGX's they could have been blown, and also the different shocks performing differently could be affected by the spring you were using. The Illumina may have a better adjustment range for the rebound, so the car has better turn-in characteristics and it handles better. I feel like the AGX would be the better shock for traction on irregular surfaces though(ie, public roads).

Comment

If the car came with the AGX's they could have been blown, and also the different shocks performing differently could be affected by the spring you were using. The Illumina may have a better adjustment range for the rebound, so the car has better turn-in characteristics and it handles better. I feel like the AGX would be the better shock for traction on irregular surfaces though(ie, public roads).
                      Having had similar setups with both AGX and Illumina on the Accord, the Illumina is better. It rides better, handles better and sits lower. The only real downside I have found is that the adjustment for the illuminas is on the top of the shock, which makes the rears a pain in the ass to adjust. But other than that, I have found absolutely no downsides to the illumina on the Accord. So far, they have lasted longer as well.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                        Having had similar setups with both AGX and Illumina on the Accord, the Illumina is better. It rides better, handles better and sits lower. The only real downside I have found is that the adjustment for the illuminas is on the top of the shock, which makes the rears a pain in the ass to adjust. But other than that, I have found absolutely no downsides to the illumina on the Accord. So far, they have lasted longer as well.
                        How long did your AGX's last and how long have you had the Illumina's on? What springs? What settings were/are you running each at? I just want to find out fact and truth in these suspension threads, not argue. Everyone makes general statements and assumptions about one part vs another, but I want to be specific to the CB, so maybe post up your opinions in the spring, coilover, and damper thread for people to see, since that's exactly what that sticky is about.

Comment

How long did your AGX's last and how long have you had the Illumina's on? What springs? What settings were/are you running each at? I just want to find out fact and truth in these suspension threads, not argue. Everyone makes general statements and assumptions about one part vs another, but I want to be specific to the CB, so maybe post up your opinions in the spring, coilover, and damper thread for people to see, since that's exactly what that sticky is about.
                          The illuminas are around 70K if I had to guess. They were put on well before 200K, and it has just over 250K on it now... Now, I am not saying that illuminas outlast all shocks, merely that in my experience they have outlasted the AGX's. I would probably opt for the Neuspeed specific Konis if I had it to do over again. Although, I can tell you, also from experience, that Tockico DOES stand behind the lifetime warranty. I had a friend with an illumina that blew, and they replaced it no questions asked, free of charge. In fact, I think they sent him a new set of 4 shocks, although don't quote me on that, because it was a long time ago. I also at one point lost one of the adjusting caps, and they sent me 8 more when I asked for a few more.

All the data is in the MR thread.

The AGX's were somewhere around 40-50K by the time they needed replaced, and they were also on a set of sport springs, although H&R instead of Neuspeed. The Accord on illuminas sits lower than on AGX's, even though the springs were pretty similar. Also, we put the old springs on new shocks (I think they may have been blues, but don't remember anymore), and it sat lower too, so it was the AGX's that were limiting the ride height. They also did not ride as well as my current setup.

The only complaint I have about the Illuminas and Neuspeed sports is that there isn't really a damping curve that seems to match the springs perfectly. They are either just a touch stiffer than I would like, or a touch softer. So, I just put up with the little bit of stiffness. The ride is still perfectly acceptable though, and on "public roads" the handling is superb, although there is a little more initial lean due to the progressive nature of the spring.
                          Last edited by owequitit; 02-07-2010, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Awsome find and awesome article..... I cant get over smiling about this statement from the article;

"...the 1993 Accord now corners as well as a BMW M3."

all i can say is

Bought from Darkcloud

http://wheelflip.com/r/DrAkE

Comment

Originally posted by Noridetoolow View Post
                              Awsome find and awesome article..... I cant get over smiling about this statement from the article;

"...the 1993 Accord now corners as well as a BMW M3."

all i can say is
                              You need a quality setup though. Much of what people are running here is nowhere near as good as even the pretty simple setup they have.

I would really love to do a handling & ride quality test with some of the popular setups out there.

Comment

That setup is a bit dated even. You could easily improve upon it without much additional cost. Not to mention tires have gotten better since then. It is a good first step in the right direction to a proper suspension though.

Comment

Working...
                                X