Long Continuous squeak while turning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Continuous squeak while turning

So for about 8 months now, my cb7 has been making a loud, continuous squeak while taking a turn. It does not make the sound when you turn the steering wheel at a stop, it doesn't make any weird noises when you hit bumps. The squeak started off only during left turns, but over time it's been getting worse and now it makes the noise no matter which way I turn.the colder it is outside, the less loud the squeak seems to be, during the winter it was about -20°C out and now it's around 1°C and all I hear going around the on ramp to the freeway is SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAKKKKKK. The sharper and faster the turn, the louder the squeak. The p/s fluid is a nice golden color, its not low nor leaking. I took it to the shop I used to work at (I'm not mechanic, I just did fluid changes and sparkplug changes and whatnot) they couldn't find any major issue, replaced the driver side lower balljoint which made no difference. They did mention the control arm bushings are a little worn but it's not a concern as of yet. They could not confirm if that was the actual cause as they were more concerned with fixing the cars of paying customers (understandably)

I posted a YouTube video showing the sound I'm talking about. Any ideas?

Betty and Betzi died for our sins

The video doesn’t work for me..

Comment

Neither link worked for me. Does it change any if you apply the brakes during the turn? Ball join won't do it. Bushings won't do it. If applying the brakes changes it considerably (or stops it), then it is likely the brakes. Are the pads low, particularly the inner pad with the wear indicators? If applying the brakes doesn't affect it much, my first thought is wheel bearing.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60zv...kg3orbk0h00410

Third time's the charm

I had the brakes changed a couple months ago, The squeak was there before and after pads and rotors were replaced, and did not change. This doesn't sound like any kinda bad wheel bearing I've ever heard, Sounds rubbery... if thats the right word.

Comment

I agree, that doesn't sound like a wheel bearing or brakes to me either. Is the noise coming from inside the car, or outside? Doesn't quite sound like a tire rubbing, but how's your alignment? If the tires are fighting one another (particularly in a turn), one or both may have to slip. Does it sound different on different road surfaces (blacktop vs. concrete)?
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
            I agree, that doesn't sound like a wheel bearing or brakes to me either. Is the noise coming from inside the car, or outside? Doesn't quite sound like a tire rubbing, but how's your alignment? If the tires are fighting one another (particularly in a turn), one or both may have to slip. Does it sound different on different road surfaces (blacktop vs. concrete)?
            The sound doesn't seem to change at all no matter what I'm driving on. I don't think it's the allignment, I've been dailying the car for a year now and the tires are not wearing unevenly, also at some point I switched to a set of winter tires I had and the sound didn't change in the slightest. The sound is quite loud on the inside of the car, I can feel the squeak through the steering wheel if that makes any sense. I've been told that it can be heard from the outside, and rather loudly too, but I will get a friend to help confirm this soon. The noise began shortly after I got my car back from the body shop for rust repair if that maybe gives someone a hint.
            Last edited by AmTeC; 03-23-2018, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Is the Power Steering Pump leaking at all? When you wipe your hand under
              the pump is it wet?

I had the same symptoms when my Power Steering Pump was dying.
              Just like what you said about going around an off ramp it would squeal allllll the way down the ramp.
              Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
                Is the Power Steering Pump leaking at all? When you wipe your hand under
                the pump is it wet?

I had the same symptoms when my Power Steering Pump was dying.
                Just like what you said about going around an off ramp it would squeal allllll the way down the ramp.
                That's kinda what I was thinking too, that it might be the ps pump. I was hoping it would be something less annoying to fix. I do have a good spare ps pump on the shelf but I would rather not have to swap it until necessary. You guys think changing the fluid would be a good idea? I'm not actually sure how old the fluid that's in there is right now, looks okay, but looks can be deceiving I guess

Comment

Well at least you have something you could possibly check.

I would Change the fluid, bleed the fluid, & replace the seals inside the Steering Pump itself.

They sell the kit very cheap at auto part stores & is an easy fix!

There is a DIY on here on how to do it. & I think I have a repair thread I was talking about the DIY.
                  Keep Pushing..

Comment

sounds like fluid fighting its way thru the spool valve/past the internal rack seal(piston). what i would do is take off the P/S belt and take a drive to see if that gets rid of the sound, if it does then some more detective work is in order.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                      sounds like fluid fighting its way thru the spool valve/past the internal rack seal(piston). what i would do is take off the P/S belt and take a drive to see if that gets rid of the sound, if it does then some more detective work is in order.
                      My worst fear is that it might be the rack...

Guys, I did something dumb.

I bought a donor car to do the Auto to manual conversion, and I saved every single useful part from it before I sent it off the the scrap yard... Except the steering rack... A couple hours after I had the donor car towed, I had a serious "D'OH!" moment as I remembered that I had left the rack in the car. Ever since then I have been telling myself THAT SQUEAK CANT BE A BAD RACK, NO WAY THE ONLY PART I DIDNT SAVE COULD BE GOING BAD HAHAHAHA kill me

Well back to the topic at hand, At the moment, I'm still not certain if the problem is even P/S related, although judging by the symptoms it seems like it to me. My plan is to first put the car on jackstands, and simulate going around a turn, since the noise only occurs when the car is moving, I guess there's some diabolical mumbo jumbo going on with the VSS that controls something or other to reduce the steering assist... or... something. I'll try to pinpoint the squeak if it even does it on jackstands. Next I'll try to remove the P/S belt and go for a drive like illinois_erik suggested. If the noise changes or goes away, I will change the fluid and replace the pump with the one I have on the shelf, If the noise persists and I'm certain its not a suspension part. I guess it must be the rack *shudders*

I'll have to find one somewhere and swap it out.

Sound good to you guys?

Comment

Get a pick or small screwdriver and check for fluid in the rack boots. If there’s fluid when you pry back the boots, replace the rack. When you remove the belt and drive around, if the sound goes away, you’re narrowing it down to the whole PS system - not just the pump. Checking the suspension is extra work in this case, as the belt removal tells you if you should even look.

Btw my dogs loved your video, thanks for that! It made them all start singing

Comment

I did a basic barebones inspection today, and here's what I found

-I took a sample of the PS fluid. Looks brand new, Fluid level is at the max line when the engine is off.

-The PS pump does not make any abnormal noises, and it is not leaking. I checked this when the car was on the ground and stationary, so maybe not the best diagnosis.

- I raised the front end of the car and put it on jackstands. I put it in gear and simulated going around a turn. It was making the squeaking noise, but it stops once I get below a certain speed. I got a video of this but youtube will not let me upload it for some reason. Will try again later.

This is all I was able to check today because I have work very soon and I daily this car.

OH, one more thing I forgot to mention. My steering has always felt a little heavy ever since I got the car. I thought it was normal, its not like cripplingly hard to turn, but its a tad heavier than the average car, you can probably see me in my video struggling a bit to turn the wheel one handed while the car was stationary. when the car is raised off the ground the steering is free and nothing is binding it or anything. But then I got my second cb7, which had lighter steering, closer to that of a modern car. I had a feeling something was up with my daily.

Perhaps these problems are related?

Comment

Problem Solved

Guys!! It was a bad PS pump all along!!

I took the belt off to see if the squeak would go away, what I noticed upon removing the belt was that the pump pulley was stiff and felt sorta rough to turn. I remember seeing a thread on here some time ago where someone mentioned that the pump should be very easy to turn, and glide smoothly. I had a spare pump on the shelf I pulled from a CB7 last summer and I slapped it in, added a bit more fluid, bled the air out, and went for a drive. First thing I noticed, steering wheel was easier to turn now. The squeak was totally gone. There was also a very light bubbling in the reservoir with the old pump, which is now totally gone with the replacement.

I dont quite understand how the pump was causing the noise in the rack though, also the pump itself was not making any noise, While it was running I put a long screwdriver to it and it sounded the same as the new one does now, no abnormal sounds.

I was thinking of rebuilding the old pump and keeping on the shelf as a spare incase the replacement dies too someday, Im not sure if this is even viable with the pump being all rough to turn and whatnot though.

Anyways, Thanks for the help you guys, I couldn't have figured this out without the help of the CB7Tuner community!

Comment

Doesn't hurt to take it apart and see if the gears are scored up. If it looks good, get a seal kit, clean it up, reassemble and put on the shelf. I think I have three (one rebuilt, 2 in need of it). If you somehow had air being pulled in on the suction side, those air bubbles may have made the noise when going over the piston seal or through a valve in the rack (think letting the air squeak out of a ballon) when you were turning. Just a theory!
                              Last edited by Fleetw00d; 03-27-2018, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X