I bought another Civic (#3) 1996 Coupe EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought another Civic (#3) 1996 Coupe EX

I forgot to post this up but, a few weeks ago I bought another Civic.
    I have a thing for the "EK" Civics.
    I haggled the owner from $700 down to $450. It was the most interesting
    haggle ever because the guy was from Russia or something & his daughter
    had to translate us going back & forth.

I was sure this Civic deal would settle the U.S.'s & Russia's differences

KIDDING

So he was selling the car because his daughter is getting some job at a
    hospital in Philly & he needed to get rid of some of his assets. He had the car
    listed on CL for $700 saying that the Ignition Coil was bad. I made an
    agreement that I could bring my own distributor in order to get the car started
    before I purchase it. Well, I went to check it out only to find out the alternator
    was completely seized up. It was so bad that the crank pulley was spinning
    the ALT belt but not the ALT pulley due to the rust.

So I haggled the guy down to $450. To get the car home I cut the ALT belt,
    bought a fresh battery from Vatozone & drove it a hour home. There is
    only 170K on chassis & engine. ALL HONDA MAINTENANCE. ZERO RUST.

The next day I bought a new alternator, put the original distributor back on,
    & she fired right up!

Clutch & transmission feel amazing. I need to redo the brakes of course.

The only major issue I need to address is the wiring harness for the driver's
    side door. Apparently, on these Civics ( & CR-Vs I discovered ) the floor
    harness that goes throughout the cabin & to the driver's side where the
    harness connects to the driver's side door harness, the wires get pulled out
    of the back of the plug (plug #C556). I was reading on some other forums
    that the wires on that floor harness are a bit too short, so after years of
    opening & closing the driver's door the plugs can get pulled out.

I might just do some ghetto wiring for now just to get it working so I know
    everything is okay.

My plan for this Civic is to just flip it. For $450 there is no way I can't make
    my money back plus some.

Just a little D16Y8 VTEC..I have heard D,B, & H series VTEC Crossovers
    but on these engines it is so quiet haha. At least my EK Sedan has a
    short ram & exhaust compared to this bone stock setup.

Keep Pushing..

Nice grab! I’m always on the hunt for these kind of deals.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Oh my goodness what a nightmare rewiring BOTH doors!!!

I think there was a total of 17 wires on the driver's door & 10 wires on the
      passenger side door that all had to be rewired.

So the issue was the wires were pulled out of the back of the plug. ALL WIRES

I basically said screw repinning the plugs & doing all that work. This car is
      going to be a flip so I cut both plugs off for each connector & just hardwired
      from the floor harness straight to the harness in the doors. I just matched up
      all the colors of the wires. I did go the extra step of labeling the colors of
      each wires so in the future if someone has to redo anything they will have it
      a little bit easier.

Anyways, I am happy because after the rewiring EVERYTHING in the car
      works just as it is supposed to!

I went to a local junk yard to get a new power steering pump. I actually
      pulled off two different ones but of course the one I took home did not
      work haha. I am not even sure why is doesn't work. I guess the pumps
      just die over time? The OEM worked but I think the bearings inside were
      shot because when the pulley spins it just makes a horrible grinding noise.

I also put a set of headlights from my sedan on this car & I think it looks
      pretty good. (future reference, sedan & coupe headlights are the same lol)

I wired up the halos for daytime lights. I guess these are like early 2000
      halogen type headlights. They look kinda ricer lol. Oh well..

I am in about $750.00 soooo I can deff make something off this one.
      Keep Pushing..

Comment

Keep Pushing..

Comment

Civics are a decent, economical car that happens to have an overwhelming amount of aftermarket support and an abundance of cars at the JY. I thought of getting one about 3 years ago but the only thing that kept me from doing so was the still high theft rates of them, instead i got a boring ol' 98 Corolla. Some dude gave my dad a 01 LX last year because of distributor issues, he got it painted the original clover green and turned it into his daily.
          [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Yeah it is not a bad car at all. Sometimes I will drive it to work or I will
            casually drive it to the grocery store. I just finally got the Title so I think I
            may list it for sale soon.

Nice! yeah it's cool to find something nice out of what other people think is
            no longer any use for them.
            Keep Pushing..

Comment

The amount of butt connections hurts my soul. $450 though? Can’t beat that.

Flip that thing for $1500 or donate it for a $1000 tax break. You’re good whatever you do.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                The amount of butt connections hurts my soul. $450 though? Can’t beat that.

Flip that thing for $1500 or donate it for a $1000 tax break. You’re good whatever you do.
                Haha believe me if this was my car that I was keep I would have done the
                whole pin-out & wired it all correctly. It was so tedious to redo all the wiring
                though.
                Keep Pushing..

Comment

FLIPPED! $$$

I was getting tired of paying insurance for 4 cars so I finally had to get rid of
                  the EK Coupe.

It literally only took 45 minutes to sell it once it was posted in a Honda group
                  on Facebxxk.

I did not end up finding out what the real issue with the power steering was.
                  I would bet that when it got in an accident that it must have bent the rack
                  to a point where it was binding when attempting to make left turns.

Anyways, I am from Maryland & the buyer came from Pennsylvania. I met
                  him at the Target parking lot by my house. I took him for a ride, showed him
                  everything electrical works & he was happy to buy the car. I listed it for
                  $1,700 but I honestly only wanted to get $1,500.

He pulled out a wad of cash & asked if I would take $1,500 without even
                  having to haggle. I said that is fine with the price.

Went home to add up all my receipts to find out my spending total.

Spent: $768.00 (rounded)
                  Buyer Paid: $1,500.00
                  Profit: $732.00

I was just glad to rescue a Honda from sitting &
                  get it running just as it should. & I was even more happy because the guy
                  who bought it is using it as a daily. Also, he was an older gentleman so
                  I assume he is not going to rice it out.

This was a very fun project!
                  Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
                    FLIPPED! $$$

I was getting tired of paying insurance for 4 cars so I finally had to get rid of
                    the EK Coupe.

It literally only took 45 minutes to sell it once it was posted in a Honda group
                    on Facebxxk.

I did not end up finding out what the real issue with the power steering was.
                    I would bet that when it got in an accident that it must have bent the rack
                    to a point where it was binding when attempting to make left turns.

Anyways, I am from Maryland & the buyer came from Pennsylvania. I met
                    him at the Target parking lot by my house. I took him for a ride, showed him
                    everything electrical works & he was happy to buy the car. I listed it for
                    $1,700 but I honestly only wanted to get $1,500.

He pulled out a wad of cash & asked if I would take $1,500 without even
                    having to haggle. I said that is fine with the price.

Went home to add up all my receipts to find out my spending total.

Spent: $768.00 (rounded)
                    Buyer Paid: $1,500.00
                    Profit: $732.00

I was just glad to rescue a Honda from sitting &
                    get it running just as it should. & I was even more happy because the guy
                    who bought it is using it as a daily. Also, he was an older gentleman so
                    I assume he is not going to rice it out.

This was a very fun project!
                    I wish I had the time and wrenching ability to flip. I feel like it would be a great way to drive a lot of cars on my bucket list without dealing with the long term BS that is holding onto a car as a second / third car.

Comment

You deff have the ability to do it!

Yeah you could definitely acquire some nice cars if you just look out for them.
                      It would be hard for me to get rid of a car that I really like.
                      Keep Pushing..

Comment

Working...
                      X