Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENG: Replace the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My car is an Automatic. When my VSS was dead or dying, My odometer didn't work either. It DESTROYED my mileage by flashing the D4 light and refusing to shift out of (or past) third!!

It's getting colder now. I discovered that at 50F my speedo is off by 10MPH when cold. At 25-30F it's off by 15MPH! I need to buy a QUALITY VSS!

Just to add it,.. I just rolled over,.. 300K (+the mileage lost to the bad VSS).

Comment

My odometers are working but the speedo is acting weird. It will read 40 when I know I am at 60 or so then it starts working right. Kinda like it has to warm up.

she is down....but definately not out

Comment

When you lift the front end and spin the wheels, the drive gear in there is supposed to spin... mine doesn't. Anyone ever replace the internals or am I stuck buying a new tranny just to get proper shifting (auto) and my VTEC working?

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Very old post but very helpful since it came up in search. With the needle jumping and D4 flashing..this DIY will be helpful. And to the guy that felt the need to correct the OP naming of a part....was that necessary to the overall removal and replace....no it wasn't.

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
          New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
          My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
            Very old post but very helpful since it came up in search. With the needle jumping and D4 flashing..this DIY will be helpful. And to the guy that felt the need to correct the OP naming of a part....was that necessary to the overall removal and replace....no it wasn't.
            this.

without him saying rubber booted and not shift linkage, i wouldn't have known. Maybe if he would have said "rubber booted thing AKA shift linkage" yes that might have been better, but still without him dumbing it down , some of us might have had even more problems than we probably already were haha. thanks for the DIY, i will be using this VERY soon.

Comment

Ok you're right.
              I will be doing this fix on Sunday 4/15. To Doyina> The car is automatic and if I take some pictures of it's location and anything else...will it be ok to use it on this thread? If not I won't. Some of your photos don't clearly show the vss. Also...go back if you feel the need and edit it to say whatever they say the part is called.
              Last edited by SilverShadow; 04-14-2012, 06:16 PM.

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com

Comment

As mentioned...photo wasn't clear and I went after the plug you outlined only to see it wasn't the VSS! It was clearly the wrong sensor! Something called to my best I can remember..shaft position sensor? Anyway, since I don't know my way...I let the mechanic do it, least I make the car worse.

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com

Comment

nice write up

Comment

Nice to see this still in use!

Comment

Just felt like knocking the dust off after reading this thread. I'll be doing this as soon as my sensor comes. The odd part is that mine only stops working when it's cold. It's dead when I start the car cold but works fine after a couple minutes of driving to warm the sensor up.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

All or most times my speed sensor would give out, it would be the wiring on the harness side. The pin wanted to fall out. So check that if you're getting issues with the VSS.
                        “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
                        ― Jeremy Clarkson

Very first tear down and rebuild. vvv
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Current Build, F23 block F22b dohc head:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203144

Comment

Thanks for the input. I got one from eBay just in case. I'm going to check mine first to make sure the connections are clean before I swap it out. The ebay one I got was $8 with questions month warrenty.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

This is what I bought on Tuesday and it was at my house on Thursday.
                            The reason I went for this one is because it promised a "10 year warranty"

The VSS looked great, works great!! I just wanted to share my experience with this thread. (dolyna, some pics would really help!)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Vehicle-Speed-...-/310344089375
                            Originally posted by cb7dazz
                            And you're english is much better than some people on this board and it's their primary language.
                            Originally posted by Jarrett
                            ...for example

Comment

Working...
                            X