Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonikaccord : 1985 Mazda RX-7 GS

What....have I gotten myself into...

I'll probably be doing a lot of cross posting from the RX-7 forums. Stay tuned.

YouTube Clicky!!

Instantly jealous. Please post updates on this. I RX7s.

Comment

Fb
      <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

So very cool.

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

She moves under her own power...time to start refreshing stuff.
          I'll have to upload pics when I get to a PC.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

First things first.
            My old clutch disintegrated. Out comes the transmission and cleaning

In goes new rear main, pilot bearing (which was a total bish) and seal:

New clutch and resurfaced fly:

Trans ready for install:

Trans is in:

New fuel line with old filter. Going to go through a few gallons to make sure it catches all the gunk.

Old gas

Car washed:

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I hope you get the modding bug and step up to a big turbo to wake up the torque-less wonder!
              [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                I hope you get the modding bug and step up to a big turbo to wake up the torque-less wonder!
                Honestly, I want to go carb'd NA 20B...really hope that bug doesn't bite

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Mannnn, turbo'd or not, those things are fun and light. That, and the sound of a rotary is intoxicating.

I'm in for the next few years, if it goes on that long, to see what the future brings.
                  Last edited by Straight Success; 06-29-2019, 07:52 PM.
                  The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                    Honestly, I want to go carb'd NA 20B...really hope that bug doesn't bite
                    Wishing you the same you wished me! Its a long, never ending road this one

Comment

Alright, the front steering and suspension is shot. It's definitely not safe to drive on. While I'm at it, things will be getting cleaned up and powder coated to look nice down there.

The rotors on this car are tiny. If carbon ceramic rotors are dinner plates, these are saucers. They look to be in good shape, I'll get them turned, paint(powder coat?) them and throw em back on. I bet they are higher quality than the Chinese replacements I ordered even if they are 30+ years old.

Calipers are getting rebuilt and powder coated with new pads.

Shocks(Strut inserts, technically) are going to get replaced with Koni Yellows from an MR2. The aftermarket for these cars is similar to the CB, so getting parts from other cars to work is the best option. Springs, TBD. Stock springs are way too soft for any performance driving.

Tie rods and balljoints are getting replaced with Sankei 555 components. I *think* that's the OEM supplier for this car.

Bushings are getting replaced with Energy Suspension...red color. I normally go with black, so switching it up this round. It should contrast well with the black powder coating. Since I'm dropping the subframe, now would be a good time to replace motor mounts. Thinking about going solid. I enjoyed the feel in the Prelude, this car should have even less vibration for obvious reasons.

Camber plate goes here.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
                        Mannnn, turbo'd or not, those things are fun and light. That, and the sound of a rotary is intoxicating.

I'm in for the next few years, if it goes on that long, to see what the future brings.
                        They are very tossable, a more manly Miata!
                        Thanks for the support!

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                        Wishing you the same you wished me! Its a long, never ending road this one
                        Damn karma

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Yeeee! I want to find an old Corolla to swap a 13b into

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                            Yeeee! I want to find an old Corolla to swap a 13b into
                            Why go thru all the trouble of doing a rotary swap when the 2J is a much better powerplant?

Comment

I decided to check the charge on the A/C to see why it was not turning on and I fell down the rabbit hole. Since I’m not going to recharge it, I deleted it….and a few other things.

Lots of these things around. They are vacated, obviously I would not be holding it otherwise.

Oil metering pump leak. I may delete it and run premix, or keep it and run premix.

A/C compressor and lines out

Since we are ditching the A/C, let’s get rid of the windshield washer bottle, charcoal canister, and cold start assist fluid bottle

Freshly purchased shelving being put to good use

“Rat’s nest” removed. We can finally see the engine!

Carb removed, air pump removed, going to delete some stuff off the Nikki carb to clean it up as well and eliminate potential vacuum leaks.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                              X