Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Stock eng rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock eng rebuild

Alright, so ive been tinkering with my accord since i got it. Ive noticed that some issues keep popping up and that i have a start up/ electric problem. also ive done a tune up and routine oil changes. lately the lx has been smelling like oil and my bumper is covered in thick black splatter from the exhaust. I figured

1. piston rings are shot
    2. gaskets need replacing
    3. full rebuild to be safe

so ive suffer ebay, orielly's, rock auto ( whos prices keep getting worse) and so on. ] also i have a mans every day tool box for little repairs and a garage in my apt complex. what else do i need other than a cherry picker?
    what steps should i take as far as rebuilding the f22a1 and breaking it in? where can i find good quality hardware to replace all oem fasteners?plan is to turn my rebuild into a full diy for others to follow.

Just from reading what you posted makes me think either A you need to have a professional do the work or B do alot more research on the tools you will need (Mostly for measuring spec's) aswell as to what it takes to do a rebuild that will last.

Just IMO i would suggest finding a decent low'ish mileage engine to replace yours as a swap is less involved.

02 Crv
    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Seconded. Either way I would so recommend an engine stand to hold the assembly while it's being worked on. But like SOHC_FTW said, your better option would be to get a running engine and replace all the exterior seals and gaskets and use that.

The most intriguing part of your post is that you have an apartment with a garage. Do you have pictures of this arrangement? My mind is effectively blown.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I can take pic of my set up and post this weekend. Honestly I made out like a bandit, I have 2 covered spots and an end garage unit all right outside my aappartment door.

back to the car, I have a engine stand. I got one when I rebuilt the trans on my jimmy. I want to rebuild the engine so that i have a better understand of my car. Ive done a lot of work on cars and rebuilt several top ends on chevys, this will be the first full rebuild for me.

Also I do research everything I do as much as possible, when it comes to somethings that i cant find a clear answer to I turn to the community!

Comment

Originally posted by docscb7 View Post
          I can take pic of my set up and post this weekend. Honestly I made out like a bandit, I have 2 covered spots and an end garage unit all right outside my aappartment door.

back to the car, I have a engine stand. I got one when I rebuilt the trans on my jimmy. I want to rebuild the engine so that i have a better understand of my car. Ive done a lot of work on cars and rebuilt several top ends on chevys, this will be the first full rebuild for me.

Also I do research everything I do as much as possible, when it comes to somethings that i cant find a clear answer to I turn to the community!
          I am the same way man, I have an f23 swapped into my 91 sedan and my plans are to pull it right before winter and rebuild it completely, just so I have a better understanding of the motor and how it works, plus a fresh engine sounds like a win win to me

Comment

You haven't even went into great links to see what is exactly wrong with your current engine.

My most recent rebuild + a few strengthening/power odds and ends and i'm well over a grand. Hell you do realise the bearings are $11bux a piece not to mention machine work that it will probably need. Do you even know how to decode your block to see what bearings it used from the factories mini blueprint?
            A full rebuild is just that...... not just ring's and seals the measuring alone is time consuming and a pain you never know what you'll run into that probably needs machined and replaced.

It is way cheaper money vs time wise to get one from even an importer that are around $700 than do an entire rebuild correctly. I know it sounds fun and is, but if this car is your DD and you don't do it correctly then the engine and car are useless.

Just to add if you're serious some good honda rebuild articles are out there just to give you an idea.

http://www.evans-tuning.com/support/...-a-gsr-engine/
            Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 07-26-2012, 05:55 PM.

02 Crv
            02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
            92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
            Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

I understand that doing anything worth doing is not going to be lite on the wallet. I have a lot of information at my fingure tips and also have a number of resourses for help. what im looking for is quality parts at a fair prices and advice on the random tools that i might not think to buy when out shopping for them.

the over all goal for this car is to have a high dollar build on the current eng after a swap is done. This car will go through many changes not just a hand full of upgrades. I dont want to ever be completely finish working on my cb

Comment

Working...
              X