Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

90 accord Dies while driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 accord Dies while driving

Hey Guys Having a problem with my 90 accord h22.

i've replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, main relay, and air filter. my car is still dying while i drive it randomly! the RPM's go to zero, but the speedometer and everything else stays on and coasts till i stop. it cranks fine but just will not start. the only other thing i can think of is the fuel pressure regulator. i've taken it to honda and they refuse to work on it because of the prelude motor.. lol all honda yet they refuse service, quite ridiculous i know. anyway does anyone have any suggestions?

Any check engine light? if so what one?

I had a problem like this with mine, I had a short in the wire harness. it would die and not start but for some reason if i let it sit for a couple hours it would start again. I ended up replacing the harness and never saw the problem again.
    "There is nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation cannot prolong."

Comment

Originally posted by jeefisthe1 View Post
      Hey Guys Having a problem with my 90 accord h22.

i've replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, main relay, and air filter. my car is still dying while i drive it randomly! the RPM's go to zero, but the speedometer and everything else stays on and coasts till i stop. it cranks fine but just will not start. the only other thing i can think of is the fuel pressure regulator. i've taken it to honda and they refuse to work on it because of the prelude motor.. lol all honda yet they refuse service, quite ridiculous i know. anyway does anyone have any suggestions?
      x2 on the CEL, when it dies see if it is getting fuel and spark

Comment

This sounds like mine which I have yet to figure out btw would it happen to be manual? Cause mine would die then I just clutched and went back on..I'm starting to think it's the distributor it self or my harness like oreellyfool said cause I did do a wire tuck and I think some wires are shorting somewhere?
        WHEN LIFE PASSES YOU BY...DOWN SHIFT...

Comment

Did you check your Dirstributor Rotor? Fuel Pressure Regulator, Fuel Lines? CEL codes?
          CB will be out beginning of March

Comment

yes the car is 5-speed.

the check engine light goes on when it dies, but goes away after the car is attempted to start or starts again. (clears itself)

i checked if any fuel was leaking past the fuel pressure regulator into the air box and it wasn't. also i rented a fuel pressure test kit but the fittings wouldn't fit my service port on my fuel rail for some reason.

the distributor rotor seems to be okay, i cleaned it up before i installed the cap/wires/plugs yesterday

when i attempt to start it when it dies i can smell fuel, but no puddling under the car so im guessing fuel is being supplied and spark must be the issue

im going to have it brought in tomorrow i guess to test fuel pressure and see if they can find a short in wiring.

Comment

first get your codes, they must be stored.

Is your dizzy leaking oil?

one easy test to see if it is a fuel pressure regulator issue is to clamp off the fuel return line that goes from the fuel pressure regulator to the the tank. If it runs better then thats the issue.
              1991 Honda Accord 2DR LX 180,000 Miles RIP

Comment

X2 on checking your check engine light codes. The ECU stores them unless you pull the radio fuse or the battery cable. That WILL be your best starting point.
                "There is nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation cannot prolong."

Comment

The coil or the ICM would be my guess.

Comment

90 is a good old age! I would say get a new one. I would second the ICM since the problem shows up on the Tach.
                    91 Accord LX 5-speed
                    93 Accord LX 5-speed

Comment

i replaced the distributor, rotor and cap today and it hasn't died yet...the used one i got from HAP (honda auto parts) had the rotor rusted on there so tight i couldnt get it off and the screw was missing hahaha. i'm going to go grab some food now and keep my fingers crossed while i drive.

about the CEL codes..when it was dying i would get a CEL, but after i took the key out and tried to start it again the CEL would clear itself and only go back on once it died again; i dont think this is normal?

THANK YOU EVERYONE for taking the time to read my thread and post some positive feedback, much love to all and thank you.

more pics coming soon in my beginner image thread once i get her washed.

Comment

Having the same issue

Ive been having the very same issue with my car for the past few months. At first i thought it was my battery. Ive replaced all the connections (terminals, wires, battery) Next i did a tune up. During the tune up I found oil in my dist. cap, what does that mean?

After the car dies I pop my clutch and it fires back up 9/10 times.

Also having issues starting, have to hold the key takes a sec to fire up. when it does start the check eng. light comes on, If i flip my key while clutched in quickly car fires up and clears the light.

could this be a short as stated earlier in the thread?

Comment

mine was doing that i have a f22a1 298k miles and its a 92 accord and the coil cord wiggled itself off enough to were it wont start
                          MRTvvv
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193522

Comment

Thanks I'll check that now

Comment

My 91 cb7 is haveing the same issues, I've replaced the fuel pump, checked the relay, checked filter and it still turns off the same way... It will start after the car gets cold, but soon cuts off when I slow down, feels like its choking. My mechanic says it might be the ecu....what's your opinion?

Comment

Working...
                              X