Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I seen a new Civic Type-r today and hated it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seen a new Civic Type-r today and hated it...

(just my opinion.....)

Caught up to one today on the highway and ....... ug. I've hated other cars in the past but it was jealousy. If given the chance to drive/own one I'd quickly hop at the chance (MGs for example. or Porsche). But this thing made no sense. The middle exhaust tip was shiny silver and the outside ones darkened from use. The extra wing on the back was........ way overboard. I remembered the youtube review where he pointed out the huge plastic fake vents also have a fake plastic spots for the parking sensors which you can't even get for the car. The fins and angles on this thing too...............

Now I would understand if this had 400WHP or more. If it was at the top of its class, mad as a Challenger, low & high HP options, etc. it would have some "leverage". It looks like someone took a bunch of cars and put them together to make one. The show doesn't seem worth the price of admission.

It made me think of a car I seen recently which also had huge wings, angles, fins, multiple exhausts, racing seats, and was way overboard but for some reasons I had a different feeling for it....................

I seen the focus today too on the road, it looked more fun.

I do agree that the CTR's styling is WAY over the top. I kinda like the look of the new Civic, but when I look closely, it has so much busy plastic work on it that it reminds me of old Pontiacs. It's a VERY polarizing style, taking the "boy racer" image even further than the STi and Evo ever did.
    The clean look of the original Type R Hondas were best, IMO. Slightly more aggressive versions of cars that had classy, somewhat subdued styling.

I do think that the CTR's overall output and reported balance ("reported", seeing as I haven't driven one) make it a pretty decent car. I don't know that I'd spend the money for one, nor do I feel it has the same magic as the Type Rs of yesterday... but I still think it's an impressive machine.
    Given the option, though, I'd probably choose to drop my coin on a slightly slower 2.0L turbo powered car... the BMW 230i (or, if I felt like tossing away another 10 grand, the M240i).

Comment

It's meh to me. I saw one at the tire shop and it was visually loud. There was also a Ferrari there which looked tamed compared to the CTR.
      If I were to stay in the same class of car, I'd rather have a Golf R. Subtle, practical, fast enough, reliable... well maybe not that last one.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

It grew on me quickly enough, when I went to a dealer to look at one. I wouldn't mind owning the CTR at all, but I would still get it in black to hide as much of the exterior details as possible. It just blows my mind that Honda gave it 300+ hp when they've always been so conservative with power. The fact that they did give it so much could be a sign of the future, too. The last-gen Focus RS was in a similar place with a FWD chassis being made to cope with almost identical hp, before they advanced to keep up with the competition. The next gen Type R can't very well be the same or worse, so maybe we'll finally see an AWD performance car out of Honda... that doesn't cost NSX money.

Some good news is that I read an article where the writer (or maybe it was a video, I can't remember) actually thought to ask Honda if all of the Type R parts could be installed onto a normal Civic. They actually can: engine, suspension, all of it. The only difference would be the extra chassis bracing that the Type R has.

Speaking of the handsome Golf R, the Honda fanboy in me does envy VW for keeping clean, mature, body lines across their range.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I totally agree on the Golf R. That’s probably my favorite of the current souped up econoboxes. It is what honda’s old type r cars were.

I’ve heard that the ctr actually makes about 330hp, and that it’s underrated in it’s reported power. Haven’t confirmed that, though.

Comment

It was interesting to see Ford, Dodge, Chevy etc. all step up with newer models that had tons and tons of HP! Provided by all engine or battery combination, there are crazy quick cars out there. The Challenger is a monster! The European models each have their prized leaders, with multiple modes and car settings. With technology, HP, or battery creating this magnificent machines.
            I really wanted this new type-r to be this. A true step above. With 4 race modes with the highest being "you will need to change your tires first mode". The white knuckle hang on to that torque steer power like your steering wheel was a chainsaw! GGGAaawwwwgg! , suspension lowering, launch control?, boost by gear, monster.

But... instead it reminds me of several years ago when my bud got a cobalt SS and stopped at the dealer one day and had it upgraded to Stage 3 and it made 300HP... and that was very long ago.

Agree with what ya'll saying though.

Comment

My inner ricer loves the obnoxious looks of the CTR.

There, I said it. Carry on.

Comment

I actually rented a 6spd Golf R through a Turo app when visiting back in AZ and took it up to the 89A through Jerome and Flagstaff in AZ...VERY FUN Roads.

It handled like it was on rails and this was even just the base model without the adaptive suspension and equipped with 18" wheels. Even after flogging it full throttle for about 75-100 miles, I managed 26mpg for the entire trip of about 400 miles.

The interior was freakin' amazing too. Not once did I feel uncomfortable the entire trip. My massage therapist friend says these are some of the best seats she's sat in. The car felt solid as a rock when in those twisties as well as on the highway in cross winds. I'm actually thinking about getting one as my next car, partly because I moved to MI where it snows and the AWD system would help too.

A couple things with the infotainment bugged out once or twice though, Apple carplay when i hooked it up wouldn't play for a period of 10-15 min until it finally worked, so it has some features like that. But mechanically it was very refined and had tons of low end torque from 2000 rpm until 6000 rpm. The clutch and shifter weren't as good as my CB7's with a prelude BB4 shifter upgrade though. That's the one thing I didn't like about it, the pedal felt a bit vague and the engagement wasn't as good as my CB7, but I do have a braided line direct from the CMC to slave.

Here's some pics of the Lapiz Blue Golf R I rented.

Last edited by Losiracer2; 10-16-2017, 11:46 PM.

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Here's an awesome, very technical review of the CTR just posted today

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

"vortex generators".... "so the spoiler becomes functional" .......

No, it looks like a normal civic and they just stuck some crap pieces on it. Like the Corolla S, which simply looks like a normal Corolla but with plastic pieces stuck on it. Plus there was another review where they pointed out that the rear spoiler is so flimsy it moves when you close the trunk. Ya, I really wish they had of did proper aerodynamic styling rather than "stick a large spoiler on a already existing body".

Same with the exhaust. The middle exhaust is simply a resonator. I think quad tips with the resonator hidden would of looked much better.
                    Can't feel vtec....... ya, no-one wants to feel that :P

I'd take a Golf Type R or S2000 over this car any day! Plus it's the feeling I get when i see people driving this. Kind of like guys with lifted trucks, you feel sorry for whatever empty feeling inside they are trying to fill and then need to convince/show others it for no reason. If I had a friend write me today and say "come check out my new CTR!!", I would say no thank you. Heck, I'm not sure I'd even be passenger in one of these.

Comment

The Prius-with-a-wing body style isn't my taste but fake vents have always been hideous to me. The saving grace for the CTR in my mind is the aftermarket can always tone down the aesthetics to suit personal preferences (and you know being a Honda Type R there will be a few dozen real JDM companies making spoilers, lips and bumpers it). The exhaust is another easy to change item. I was never really a fan of the EP3 but the aftermarket has some nice options for that car as well. The performance is there and it is definitely near or at the top of it's class already so the hard part is done so to speak, the rest should be easy to change (wheels should be another must change item IMO).

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                        "vortex generators".... "so the spoiler becomes functional" .......

No, it looks like a normal civic and they just stuck some crap pieces on it. Like the Corolla S, which simply looks like a normal Corolla but with plastic pieces stuck on it. Plus there was another review where they pointed out that the rear spoiler is so flimsy it moves when you close the trunk. Ya, I really wish they had of did proper aerodynamic styling rather than "stick a large spoiler on a already existing body".
                        I can guarantee it's functional. It may not be functional at normal highway speeds but with the scrutiny that the OEMs give aerodynamics these days, it was designed for more than aesthetics. I've read it gives an extra 66 pounds of downforce at 124 mph.

Large spoilers moving on trunks is nothing new. The wing on my STi was not rigid. Perrin made stiffeners for the wing specifically to tighten it up but I have to believe STi knew what they were doing when they designed the aero for the car. The whole rear fascia of my Vette moves when I shut the hatch.

Comment

The look of the new Civic is growing on me. Even the Type-R :facepalm: I want to see one without the wing. I think they are going to fix all the fake scoops and shit in the MMC.

Originally posted by lordoja
                          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

The FK2 is much sexier...even with its tall butt.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Yes, that looks a little better. or this...

Comment

Working...
                              X