Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Odd Slit/Dent @ Tranny/Mount intersect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to add that replacing a rear main seal is not an easy job, ESPECIALLY if you don't have the proper tools and have never done it before. To add, once you start opening things up you may find more things that need replacing (clutch fork bearing/release bearing, clutch, flywheel, etc.) and the car has to be high enough to get the trans out from the bottom. Also if you run into issues (lower ball joint won't release, stripped bolts, etc. you'll be praying as you then won't be able to move the car. 2-3 hours, maybe for someone who has done it before (no offense fleetw00d).

- Got a good jack, and jack stands?
    - Got a torque wrench (short and long) and lock tight?
    - Got transmission fluid?
    - You'll have to remove axle nuts, are they seized? Have a 21mm? socket?

etc....

I'd leave that leak until it gets worse. Keep putting oil in it, save up some money. If this is an older car you'll be replacing more parts than the main seal.

Comment

The most intensive thing I have done is a headgasket on a D series motor. However I have done everything myself to my ride if you check the beginner images thread.

I have all the tools.

This will just be a long project because I know it needs the lower ball joints, oil pan, and I have an odd squeak when I push in my clutch from the motor compartment.

Back to the manual part, which I dont have. Should I just grab an accord manual?

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMafia206 View Post
        The most intensive thing I have done is a headgasket on a D series motor. However I have done everything myself to my ride if you check the beginner images thread.

I have all the tools.

This will just be a long project because I know it needs the lower ball joints, oil pan, and I have an odd squeak when I push in my clutch from the motor compartment.

Back to the manual part, which I dont have. Should I just grab an accord manual?
        Ok cool. Umm... I think any manual should do. Same bolts, same spots, same axles, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
          2-3 hours, maybe for someone who has done it before (no offense fleetw00d).
          None taken. I know I would take longer because I try to clean things up as I go (and I've done it before!). I figured if I put longer someone would say "I can do that job in X hours ...".
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

When reinstalling the rear plate, which Hondabond do you use HT or 4 or would Ultra Grey work?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

If it were me, I would remove the access plate, thoroughly clean/degrease the entire area and keep a keen eye on the leak. You never know, I've seen oil pan leaks look just like that. Start with the simplest thing first, you have nothing to lose by just simply cleaning and watching the leak closely as the weeks go on.

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                When reinstalling the rear plate, which Hondabond do you use HT or 4 or would Ultra Grey work?
                The 93 OEM manual says 08718-0001 Hondabond HT, but Majestic indicates it has been superseded.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
                  If it were me, I would remove the access plate, thoroughly clean/degrease the entire area and keep a keen eye on the leak. You never know, I've seen oil pan leaks look just like that. Start with the simplest thing first, you have nothing to lose by just simply cleaning and watching the leak closely as the weeks go on.
                  Ive been told its only a few bolts to get the plate off correct? I know my pan is leaking for sure because it has oil all around it on/below the gasket. I think this is the route I will go. But I did buy the car like this so who knows.

Comment

I just took one off, three 10 mm head bolts if I remember correctly. The pan is relatively easy. Make sure all the spacers into the pan gasket come off; before I started doing all my own work, I had a pan gasket replaced and one spacer stuck to the block. I was lucky I had any oil in it all when I got home.

Comment

Working...
                    X