Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Synthetic motor oil vs conventional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or pay $50 a year and top off as needed.

@Deev
    Shit! If I were working 120 a week, I'd pay to have it changed too! Then I'd go to bed. Christ dude, that's a lot of hours.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
      Or pay $50 a year and top off as needed.

Would not trust that. If I had a junk car then I would chance it. But that just seems not safe. Especially if it's a daily driver.
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

It would probably be fine, but I agree, I wouldn't do it either.

My Fit's oil service light came on between 10,000 and 11,000 most often. It was designed for use with conventional oil, so it had no idea synthetic was in there. That means conventional oil could've been changed at 11,000 and it would have been "fine". I'm sure I could've taken my synthetic to 20,000 regularly and seen no damage as a result. I wouldn't, because that's terrifying... but I bet I could have.

Comment

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't shy away from it if it was a true 100% synthetic oil. Think about how many years and miles we put on the other fluids in our cars. If the liquid is designed for that use and claims a one-year oil change, then I'm comfortable with that.
          The scariest thing about oil to me is the fact that dino oils are in some loose sense organic. No matter what, dino oil will break down with heat, etc. If you take that equation out of the mix and give me a product design in a science lab that can be manipulated to meet certain demands, like being resilient to heat,etc then that eases my mind more than throwing something that came out of the ground into my engine. I've pushed the limits of all my synthetic oil changes, and from my experience even the long-haul oil changes produce an oil waste that looks like it still had plenty of life left. I fully believe that the royal purple claim of 15k miles is very conservative.
          Just my opinion. So far non of my opinions have done any damage to my cars. (knocks on wood)
          CC2 Vigor.

Comment

There is one factor about older cars and oil change intervals that gets ignored in these discussions. Old cars may have rings in less than perfect condition and the oil can get contaminated by engine blow-by. So regardless of what sort of oil you are using, check it on a regular basis and if it is looking black instead of gold, change it no matter how long it's been in there.

Deev I have a Fit too! Love that plucky little L15a7.
            In 2013 I had only had German cars since 1989. Now we are an all Honda family. I have a 2013 Fit, my wife has an old Civic, I race a CB7. Soon we will sell the Civic, my wife will take the Fit and I'm going to get an RSX-s. I'll keep racing that cb7 until it dies.
            ==========================
            1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
            1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
            Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
            Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
            M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
            Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Originally posted by ukemike View Post
              There is one factor about older cars and oil change intervals that gets ignored in these discussions. Old cars may have rings in less than perfect condition and the oil can get contaminated by engine blow-by. So regardless of what sort of oil you are using, check it on a regular basis and if it is looking black instead of gold, change it no matter how long it's been in there.

Deev I have a Fit too! Love that plucky little L15a7.
              In 2013 I had only had German cars since 1989. Now we are an all Honda family. I have a 2013 Fit, my wife has an old Civic, I race a CB7. Soon we will sell the Civic, my wife will take the Fit and I'm going to get an RSX-s. I'll keep racing that cb7 until it dies.
              This is off topic but do you have Any videos of you racing. You don't have many performance mods and just seeing the list if what you have done has inspired me to dig into my suspension. I love cruising the the twisties out here in Washington. There's a lot of really good back roads around where I'm at that you can really push your car as long as you know how to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Cragelarson83 View Post
                This is off topic but do you have Any videos of you racing.
                There are links to several videos in this thread:
                1991 Accord LX Race Car thread

All of our race videos are here:
                PicknPull Racing's Youtube Page

Watching the full drives can be boooring but any that are labeled fast laps, are short enough to be entertaining.

If you'd like to talk about how to make a CB7 handle and not worry about all the other suspension sillyness like slamming it, huge wheels, stance, etc, start a threat on the subject I'll jump in with my thoughts. I imagine Deeve would too.
                ==========================
                1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
                1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
                Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
                Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
                M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
                Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

I imagine Deeve would too.

(also, once I get a few minutes away from school work, I need to check out your videos!)

Comment

There are links to several videos in this thread:
                    1991 Accord LX Race Car thread

All of our race videos are here:
                    PicknPull Racing's Youtube Page

Watching the full drives can be boooring but any that are labeled fast laps, are short enough to be entertaining.

If you'd like to talk about how to make a CB7 handle and not worry about all the other suspension sillyness like slamming it, huge wheels, stance, etc, start a threat on the subject I'll jump in with my thoughts. I imagine Deeve would too.
                    I will doo just that....i scrapped my vigor after i bought my cb7because i had nowhere to park it...i wish i could've snagged all the interchangeable suspension components.. I was pretty bummed out but had no choice. I look forward to hearing what you got for me.

Comment

Scrapped your Vigor? Man, those things are becoming quite rare these days! I always kinda wanted one. Weirdo longitudinal 5 cylinder driving the front wheels...

Comment

AMSoil, yeah, that's the ticket! I walked into an Autozone, was looking at the oil filters, and one of the floor reps offered help. We got to talking about oil and filters, and I remarked "Of course, the ultimate oil filter is AMSoil." He did a roundabout and just walked away. I guess the best cannot be argued with.

So, my take is the additives. That has changed the oil, and depending on your perspective, either improved it or ruined it. In the olde dayz, an oil change consisted of placing a bucket of dirty oil on a high shelf in the garage, and running a long lamp wick or fiber rope down to a bucket on the floor. Eventually the bucket on the floor would fill up with nice clean oil.

Comment

Working...
                        X