SUSP: ROH Conversion with 282mm rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUSP: ROH Conversion with 282mm rotors

Just did this DIY for my local forums here in Australia and did a search on here to see if there was one done. Couldn't find one done already which I couldn't believe. Anyway, if there is already one done just point me to it and I'll get rid of this. Suggestions welcome. Hope this comes in handy to someone. It was alot easier than I was expecting it to be. Mainly because of no ball joint separations.

Aim: Rotor over hub conversion with prelude 282mm rotor and caliper upgrade.

Required:
    - New or re-use CB Accord front wheel bearings. (If re-using your old ones they need to be pressed out from the hub)
    - 98 Acura CL 2.3 front wheel hubs (pressed onto bearings)
    - 94 Prelude VTIR 282mm front brake rotors
    - 23T Prelude caliper brackets
    - 97 Prelude calipers/92 Accord wagon calipers with brake pads to match

Steps:

1. Jack up the car safely and remove the front wheels.

2. Remove the axle nut and push the drive shaft back through as far as it will go. You need this clearance to get the bolts off that hold the bearing onto the knuckle.

3. Remove the 12 point bolts holding the bearing to the knuckle from behind the knuckle. You'll probably need to use a ring spanner because its pretty tight in there.

4. Ideally you would now use a slide hammer to get the bearing off the knuckle. It isn't pressed in but it is pretty tight. We just used a big screw driver and bashed it in between to wedge it out. Once loose remove it from the knuckle.

Old vs New bearing pressed into new hub.

5. Fit the new bearing and hub to the knuckle and screw the bolts in from behind the knuckle again. The bearing will be tight again so use the bolts to tighten it in, in a criss-cross pattern.

6. Slide the new rotor on over the hub and tighten the set screws.

Old Vs New

7. Fit the new caliper bracket, pads and caliper.

Finished. (Ignore the writing the calipers are from a BB6 Prelude)

8. Fit the brake line to the new caliper and bleed the system.
    Members Ride Thread

Absolutely perfect Cam! I envy your clean working conditions btw

Originally posted by Maple50175
    Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

nice write up. had to do that once and it wasnt as easy as you showed but glad someone put it up i couldve used this once.

Under Ground Society

"SLUTS NEED LOVE TOO.....AND A LOT OF DICK!"

Comment

Great write up!
        How is the stopping performance? is it a huge diff from stock?
        The past, is history:The future, is a mystery:The present, is a gift.
        James 4:7
        Submit yourself to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Comment

big brakes feel great huh?

btw good luck removing the old bearing without damagine it. I had to redo my bearing that I had installed before the ATL meet. it broke apart when I removed it, leaving the base of the bearing on the hub. so I had to use the cut off tool on it. in the end I left deep cut marks on the new CL hubs

also I hope you pressed it all the way

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
          01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
          93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
          93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by konig52r View Post
            Great write up!
            How is the stopping performance? is it a huge diff from stock?
            Can't test it yet since I'm redoing alot of wiring and shit in my car atm. There are plenty of people on here that have done it who can attest to how worthwhile it is.

Yeah pressed the hub pretty much as far as it would go. Rotor lines up inside the caliper bracket perfectly. I couldn't believe how smoothly it went and how well this mix/match of parts actually goes together.
            Members Ride Thread

Comment

o ok kool, well let me know how it works when you get ti to work.
              cause i want to do it too! but idk what set-up to use. i know the hub is always gonna be the same. o those rotoes are off a 92 lude? any 92 lude?

Comment

Not sure what the model names are in the USA. Over here its called the prelude VTIR which is the top of the line BB4 with the H22a. I think the lower models have smaller rotors.
                Members Ride Thread

Comment

Nice write up
                  My ride History:
                  Accord 90 lx auto: Gone
                  Accord 91 dx MT: Gone
                  Accord 92 lx auto: Gone
                  -----------------------------------
                  1st to D.I.Y custom RED/CLEAR's

Comment

o ok, i see. so with those rotors you can still fit stock size wheels right?

and does anyone know what lude hes talking about or what car here has that size rotor?

Comment

write up is good! When I did my ROH and vtec rotors it was a night and day difference in braking.

BTW for anybody that wants to know 283mm is 11.1 inch rotors... So there 4th gen lude vtec rotors

Comment

one thing I would suggest, idk if it affects how the wheel sits on the hub but, use flush countersunk phillips head screws and not the button type phillips heads that you used. If it sticks out far enough, it won't make the wheel sit perfectly flush on the hub and that could cause a vibration if that is the case.

But nice work. I've got Acura Vigor brakes up front and Vigor/Wagon rotors...which still allows me to keep it HOR. One day I'll convert to ROH and use the 98-99 2.3 CL hubs. I just love how it stops though. SO much more braking force than before.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                          one thing I would suggest, idk if it affects how the wheel sits on the hub but, use flush countersunk phillips head screws and not the button type phillips heads that you used. If it sticks out far enough, it won't make the wheel sit perfectly flush on the hub and that could cause a vibration if that is the case.

But nice work. I've got Acura Vigor brakes up front and Vigor/Wagon rotors...which still allows me to keep it HOR. One day I'll convert to ROH and use the 98-99 2.3 CL hubs. I just love how it stops though. SO much more braking force than before.
                          Yeah thanks for pointing that out. You definitely can't use those screws I had in the pictures there. I didn't have any countersunk ones yet and those had the same thread. I just ended up grabbing some from the wreckers. All hondas use the same I think.

One other positive note. I'm pretty sure that I've gained caliper to wheel spoke clearance over the original setup.
                          Members Ride Thread

Comment

nice write up, my running the vtec lude caliper and visor disk swap. and love it. when i go ROH this is what i will do i since i already have the calipers.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

nice write up. i might go ahead and do this now that i have seen it done so easily.

Question.....
                              Did you ever put the axle nut back onto the axle? the last picture shows no axle nut....

Comment

Working...
                              X