Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Boosting the H22 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boosting the H22 ?

Hey guys,

So i'm ordering my H22 from Hmotorsonline and i was really thinking about boosting it but from reading around it seems not to many ppl are boosting the H22. People like boosting the F22 because of it low compression. Is it a bad idea to boost the H22? I was thinking with fully stock i can maybe push 5-9 PSI and be safe. Any thoughts/Advice ?
    Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
    Originally posted by deevergote
    den das al u ned u no dat u get wurs gas milge tho rite?
    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Originally posted by tutsuo View Post
    Hey guys,

So i'm ordering my H22 from Hmotorsonline and i was really thinking about boosting it but from reading around it seems not to many ppl are boosting the H22. People like boosting the F22 because of it low compression. Is it a bad idea to boost the H22? I was thinking with fully stock i can maybe push 5-9 PSI and be safe. Any thoughts/Advice ?
    The main reason why people don't boost it, is because of the sleeves and it needing resleeved among other factors (forgive me for not giving all the info I am not stateside atm). And the F22Ax (to be exact) is chose as a good platform, because it has one of the better heads that flows well vs the H22, not just because of stock low compression. And yes you can boost @ no more than 6 lbs but even then you may damage your engine. There is a lot of factors that go into this. Best thing to do is research. I have done quite a bit of myself and you can learn quite a bit.

IMO go NA with the H22 it handles it really well. (My 2 cents)
    The CB7 Collector.
    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
    92 LX Coupe F22A1
    2013 Toyota Corolla S
    92 EX Sedan F22A1
    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Originally posted by HappyGilmore View Post
      The main reason why people don't boost it, is because of the sleeves and it needing resleeved among other factors (forgive me for not giving all the info I am not stateside atm). And the F22Ax (to be exact) is chose as a good platform, because it has one of the better heads that flows well vs the H22, not just because of stock low compression. And yes you can boost @ no more than 6 lbs but even then you may damage your engine. There is a lot of factors that go into this. Best thing to do is research. I have done quite a bit of myself and you can learn quite a bit.

IMO go NA with the H22 it handles it really well. (My 2 cents)
      Thanks for the info
      NA(Naturally Aspired)? and to be honest i just really want that spooling/BOV sound, i dont really plan on racing much just some fun every now and then. What i really wanted to do was 3-5 PSI for sound.
      Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with the H22's sleeves. I get tired of people saying that. You can't use an aftermarket forged piston with them, with the exception of Mahle Gold Series. Anything else and you must sleeve. S2000s have the same sleeves as an H22, and there are some in your area making 400whp on stock sleeves boosted. Now they are stock sleeves, so obviously I wouldn't try to push 600whp or anything crazy, but they can handle it. The weakness is the ringlands and the strength of the internals themselves. Your rods and pistons were designed to handle about 240whp, and not much more. I've seen H22s make more on stock blocks yes, but never lasted more than 2 years before they blew; and these were on VERY CONSERVATIVE tunes.

People don't boost the H22 because few in this community have it. There's a decent amount of H22 owners yes, but few have the financials to continue on after the swap. Sleeving costs roughly 1100; add in your bore and final hone to seat the pistons and you're easily looking at roughly 1700. This is your "Go Big or Go Home" moment. Building an engine gets expensive quick. Even a properly built F22 can slap your wallet around faster than you think. There are boosted H22s, 3 of them are within 100 miles of you IIRC(I would have been #4 in July of this year but I moved to Florida), with two being in Accords.

Good luck on whatever path you take.
        '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

My h22 has been boosted for over 2yrs stock block. Make sure the engine is in good shape and get a good tune. I run 8-12psi with no issues.

No need to sleeve unless its going in a race build, plan on making around 500+hp, or theyre already fucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
            There's nothing wrong with the H22's sleeves. I get tired of people saying that. You can't use an aftermarket forged piston with them, with the exception of Mahle Gold Series. Anything else and you must sleeve. S2000s have the same sleeves as an H22, and there are some in your area making 400whp on stock sleeves boosted. Now they are stock sleeves, so obviously I wouldn't try to push 600whp or anything crazy, but they can handle it. The weakness is the ringlands and the strength of the internals themselves. Your rods and pistons were designed to handle about 240whp, and not much more. I've seen H22s make more on stock blocks yes, but never lasted more than 2 years before they blew; and these were on VERY CONSERVATIVE tunes.

People don't boost the H22 because few in this community have it. There's a decent amount of H22 owners yes, but few have the financials to continue on after the swap. Sleeving costs roughly 1100; add in your bore and final hone to seat the pistons and you're easily looking at roughly 1700. This is your "Go Big or Go Home" moment. Building an engine gets expensive quick. Even a properly built F22 can slap your wallet around faster than you think. There are boosted H22s, 3 of them are within 100 miles of you IIRC(I would have been #4 in July of this year but I moved to Florida), with two being in Accords.

Good luck on whatever path you take.
            i guess ill stay NA, i just want that sound so bad xD. ill have to save up as much money as i can for a supra.

BTW joey i was told to hit up the Home Depot on saterday night and see a guy named joey im assuming thats you, on my way there actually my f22 got a bad rod barring and i turned around thru the tunnel and all the way back home with my limping f22(IMO ONE HELL OF A MOTOR.) so now im getting that h22a.

Comment

Yea I am no longer there full time. I may eventually come back, but that will be quite some time before it comes to fruition. But if you need something I can point you in the right direction.

No disrespect, but if you can't afford to sleeve your H22 how will you afford a Supra? It's a turboed car stock yes; but other than the fact that it is a more expensive car out of the box the maintenance on that car vs the CB7 is downright insane. Something breaks, and you're easily shelling out 500 or more. And you won't find any in the junkyards. There is one, in Hampton, but the owner of the yard will not part it out, you buy the car whole or go home. The cost to build one is easily 2.5-3 times that of the cost to build an H22. Not to mention your insurance company may not know what a CB7 with an H22 is; but they sure as hell know what a Supra can do. If you're my age expect that bill to double. And in an area like the 757, I hope you have a garage, or live in a gated or secluded community; cars like that should never be left out at night.

Comment

Originally posted by tutsuo View Post
                i guess ill stay NA, i just want that sound so bad xD. ill have to save up as much money as i can for a supra.

BTW joey i was told to hit up the Home Depot on saterday night and see a guy named joey im assuming thats you, on my way there actually my f22 got a bad rod barring and i turned around thru the tunnel and all the way back home with my limping f22(IMO ONE HELL OF A MOTOR.) so now im getting that h22a.
                Man if you want to boost it, then boost it. You dont have to build it. Just take care of it and get the right parts.

Comment

If you boost a healthy H22, remember that the tuning and low boost is the key to maintaining reliability on stock sleeves and pistons. The pistons being the weakest part. Also make sure that you get the lower of the compression H22's ie 10:1, 10.6:1 VS 11:1
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Bro,take your time and save money so you can build it right.I'v seen alot of people blow up h22 with 5lbs of boost.They are just not boost friendly unless you build them.Do what you would like,just my opinion.Good luck bro.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
                      Yea I am no longer there full time. I may eventually come back, but that will be quite some time before it comes to fruition. But if you need something I can point you in the right direction.

No disrespect, but if you can't afford to sleeve your H22 how will you afford a Supra? It's a turboed car stock yes; but other than the fact that it is a more expensive car out of the box the maintenance on that car vs the CB7 is downright insane. Something breaks, and you're easily shelling out 500 or more. And you won't find any in the junkyards. There is one, in Hampton, but the owner of the yard will not part it out, you buy the car whole or go home. The cost to build one is easily 2.5-3 times that of the cost to build an H22. Not to mention your insurance company may not know what a CB7 with an H22 is; but they sure as hell know what a Supra can do. If you're my age expect that bill to double. And in an area like the 757, I hope you have a garage, or live in a gated or secluded community; cars like that should never be left out at night.
                      So can I send my CB's to you? lol

Since you and i both are new to the area that is? LOL
                      The CB7 Collector.
                      Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                      92 LX Coupe F22A1
                      2013 Toyota Corolla S
                      92 EX Sedan F22A1
                      Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Maybe, but we'd have to work that out in PM or Facebook. But we should remain on topic....

Comment

Even at low boost, and with a great tune, you will eventually break a ringland. The H22's internals (or the F22's for that matter) aren't made for boost. Paired with the age of the engine, it will blow. Maybe in 2 years, maybe in 2 weeks. Boosting a stock-block Honda engine is never a good idea if you rely on that car... especially if you have little to no experience with building turbo cars in the first place. One simple oversight due to a lack of experience can fry your engine.

I say swap in the H22A for now and enjoy it N/A (yes, naturally aspirated.) In the meantime, build that F22A of yours for boost. When the F22A is finished, pull the H22A out and sell it... then drop the boosted F22A in there and enjoy! The F22A can make just as much power as the H22A with turbo. Either one of them can easily surpass the amount of power that you can comfortably put down on the street.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            Even at low boost, and with a great tune, you will eventually break a ringland. The H22's internals (or the F22's for that matter) aren't made for boost. Paired with the age of the engine, it will blow. Maybe in 2 years, maybe in 2 weeks. Boosting a stock-block Honda engine is never a good idea if you rely on that car... especially if you have little to no experience with building turbo cars in the first place. One simple oversight due to a lack of experience can fry your engine.

I say swap in the H22A for now and enjoy it N/A (yes, naturally aspirated.) In the meantime, build that F22A of yours for boost. When the F22A is finished, pull the H22A out and sell it... then drop the boosted F22A in there and enjoy! The F22A can make just as much power as the H22A with turbo. Either one of them can easily surpass the amount of power that you can comfortably put down on the street.
                            Thanks for the response everyone.

I think im gunna go with deevs advice and stick NA. but i just want a supra i mean eventually lol there a few ppl selling them for 10k around VA. only problem with building the F22 is that i dont have a picker or any of that stuff all i have is literally 200 piece set. i dont even have a way to get it home from the shop LOL

Comment

Sunbelt Rentals on Mercury Blvd in Hampton rents engine lifts....Or at least they used to. There may be one in Norfolk. I'm not sure of the rates, but you could inquire. Besides an F22A isn't THAT heavy. You and a friend can definitely lift it and put it in your trunk.

EDIT - They are no longer there but here is the link, there is a couple on your side of the tunnel.

Sunbelt Rentals in Hampton Roads

Also if you want to buy one Harbor Freight Tools on Jefferson Avenue in Newport News has a very reasonable priced one with all the capacity you would need.

Engine Lift at Harbor Freight Tools
                              Last edited by Joey GT-R; 03-03-2012, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X