Lets talk spring rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets talk spring rates

As it sits, it looks as if I am pretty much destined for 3rd place in ST in my region this year.

Neuspeed Race springs and KYB AGX isn't cutting it. I need something with custom spring rates.

I was thinking 30% stiffer in the rear would be a good place to start, and something fairly soft in the front, but yet stiff at the same time.

So at this time lets say 600 in/lbs front and 780 in/lbs in rear.

Once I get these rates figured out, then I will have a shock custom valved to best match the rates, and extended top hats fabricated to still allow proper travel in the front.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

God damn, that shit is stiff! Do you plan on making your car a track car only once you get your suspension? It sure as fuck won't be a comfortable ride with those rates.

What are the Nuespeed Race rates? I was thinking of doing 550 rears with 400 fronts on mine with custom valved bilsteins. As well as some removable limiters on the front.

Can you add a solid rear strut bar without moving you up a class? I think with some STIFF ass bars, you won't need such high spring rates.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

why dont u just get coilovers? they are better than lowering springs in my opinion
      Upgrade your mind before you upgrade your car

"So. Cal OUTLAWZ "

Comment

Originally posted by dohcb7 View Post
        why dont u just get coilovers? they are better than lowering springs in my opinion
        because he needs custom spring rates.

Comment

because good ones (not f2, d2, tein, ksport) cost a lot of money.

custom valved bilsteins/konis matched with a good high spring rate lowering spring or ground control setup will be the best bet.

My Members Ride Thread
          Originally posted by deevergote
          You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
            God damn, that shit is stiff! Do you plan on making your car a track car only once you get your suspension? It sure as fuck won't be a comfortable ride with those rates.

What are the Nuespeed Race rates? I was thinking of doing 550 rears with 400 fronts on mine with custom valved bilsteins. As well as some removable limiters on the front.

Can you add a solid rear strut bar without moving you up a class? I think with some STIFF ass bars, you won't need such high spring rates.
            I can add, and will add a solid rear bar. But it can only tie the two strut mounts together. A friend of mine is going to help me fabricate solid front and rear bars.

Honestly, I wasn't sure where to start with rates for this car because there just isn't a whole lot of information out there from people auto crossing theirs. And for the foreseeable future, this is my only car.

And as for the Neuspeed rates, I can't really find any good info for them. But they are progressive as noted by the uneven coil spacing.
            I am getting coil-over sleeves, from Ground Control. These sleeves use standard 2.5''? inner diameter springs, and are available in pretty much any spring rate you want.

But really, I will set my ride height once, and then corner-balance it. There is absolutely no need to adjust ride height often.
            Last edited by The G-Man; 04-28-2009, 10:20 PM.
            Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

i was just researching my NexSS coilovers spring rate and cant find nothing other than,

"High Molecule Force Coil Springs - The coil springs in the NEX suspension is made from high molecule forced steel. After being tested by millions of times on our dyno, we found this spring construction to resist wear and tear, and sustain its efficiency and consistent spring rate. The handling and performance can match by the skill of each driver due to the high spring rate used in the NEX suspension"

No numbers...

when i had it aligned with a decent drop, it was very responsive and pretty stiff. During autox racing, it feels pretty solid. im afraid to go any lower...

i cant wait till i get this progress bar, upper and rear struts installed...
              Last edited by Charliehstle209; 04-28-2009, 11:09 PM.
              93 Coupe........AutoX

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                I can add, and will add a solid rear bar. But it can only tie the two strut mounts together. A friend of mine is going to help me fabricate solid front and rear bars.

Honestly, I wasn't sure where to start with rates for this car because there just isn't a whole lot of information out there from people auto crossing theirs. And for the foreseeable future, this is my only car.

And as for the Neuspeed rates, I can't really find any good info for them. But they are progressive as noted by the uneven coil spacing.

I am getting coil-over sleeves, from Ground Control. These sleeves use standard 2.5''? inner diameter springs, and are available in pretty much any spring rate you want.

But really, I will set my ride height once, and then corner-balance it. There is absolutely no need to adjust ride height often.
                i used to run 400f/300r on my car when i had koni/gcs. it was a good set up and i never stiffened the konis. but i DD'd the car as well. if i went back to GC's id prolly go somewhere like 550f/500r with specially valved konis to match them. stiff enough for racing but still bearable for street use as well.

My Members Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by mcdizzle View Post
                  i used to run 400f/300r on my car when i had koni/gcs. it was a good set up and i never stiffened the konis. but i DD'd the car as well. if i went back to GC's id prolly go somewhere like 550f/500r with specially valved konis to match them. stiff enough for racing but still bearable for street use as well.
                  Why softer out back?
                  Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Why softer out back?
                    x2

Comment

Because most of the weight on our cars is in the front and thats where we get a lot of our body roll from(sloppy front end). You usually only want stiffer rears to prevent squatting in drag racing situations.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                        Because most of the weight on our cars is in the front and thats where we get a lot of our body roll from(sloppy front end). You usually only want stiffer rears to prevent squatting in drag racing situations.
                        True, but you also want to prevent squatting in a road racing situation as well.
                        Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

well i go softer out back because thats what ive always read was recommended. a good anti-sway bar/solid tower brace bar like an esp will help out greatly in the rear as well. id prolly go even all around at 550f/r but im not 100% positive.

im probably just going to be getting a neuspeed super cup kit on my car and calling it quits for suspension, as id rather have a better starting point for road racing (s2000 or c5 corvette).

My Members Ride Thread

Comment

As it sits, it looks as if I am pretty much destined for 3rd place in ST in my region this year.

Neuspeed Race springs and KYB AGX isn't cutting it. I need something with custom spring rates.

I was thinking 30% stiffer in the rear would be a good place to start, and something fairly soft in the front, but yet stiff at the same time.

So at this time lets say 600 in/lbs front and 780 in/lbs in rear.

Once I get these rates figured out, then I will have a shock custom valved to best match the rates, and extended top hats fabricated to still allow proper travel in the front.
                            That sounds extremly stiff for a CB. Hell the race car I work on has 350+ in the front and 400+ in the rear. It's circle track car but still, it 3150 pounds a little bit heavier than a CB but of corse a completely different car. I would scale the car first and go from there.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
                            "The Turtle"
                            DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Originally posted by 93F22A6 View Post
                              That sounds extremly stiff for a CB. Hell the race car I work on has 350+ in the front and 400+ in the rear. It's circle track car but still, it 3150 pounds a little bit heavier than a CB but of corse a completely different car. I would scale the car first and go from there.
                              weight of the car really doesnt mean a whole lot when it comes to the spring rates, a guy locally had a miata that was running 600lb f/r on it for autocross. the thing road like it was on fence posts but it handle like it was on rails so yah.

My Members Ride Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X