Biggest brakes for ROH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest brakes for ROH

So we race a 91 accord in Chumpcar, and had good luck with the regular cb7 size slotted rotors and quality pads, ....... until we did road america. We turned a set of pads into dust in only 7 hours and the rotors are shot too, so now it is time for an upgrade. I am sure the info I seek is out there somewhere, I am just having no luck finding it. So What would you guys recommend for front brakes?

Here are my requirments:
    bigger = better (we have 17" wheels, so we can probably go up to 13" rotors)
    want to use factory parts (don't want a big brake kit, factory parts will give us greater pad options, and there is a chance parts stores will have parts if we need to do a race weekend fix)
    want to keep 4 x 114 pattern (we have 8 17" wheels, we don't want to have to go out and get 8 others with a different pattern)
    we are rotor over hub (want to stay this way so rotor changes can be done at the track.)
    stick to bolt on parts this will help keep costs down, and help us find replacement on race weekend
    heat is our problem, so a 25 thick rotor is better than 23, dual piston calipers are better, aluminum calipers are better, larger diameter rotors are better

Based on the above what do you think is our best appraoch?
    We are "Slow and Reckless Racing", LIKE us on Facebook to keep up with our progress.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sl...03065806427543

98-99 2.3 cl hubs- im guess you have these
    calipers-95-02 acc.v6/wagon/its/93+vtec lude-pn 7754/7755. is a single piston but is larger and more force then the 2 piston cl ones.

Pads im going to use are the hawk hp plus pads(class rules)-HB143N.680
    95-97 wagon roters- auto zone ones. cheap and keep a few extra in trailer. there 11.1 each bigger but not hugh

rock auto has every thing but the cl hubs and good pads,

I use the hawk hpplus but going to a set of blue on my next pads

Let me know if you need part or more questions email me its faster

peninsula.honda.racing@gmail.com

Tripp

The Race Car

Comment

you need to be patient with me, i just need some gentle re-assurance.

So the calipers from wagon = vtec prelude calipers, but isn't one rotor 23mm and the other 25mm? The calipers just cover that range?

Also the wagon rotors appear to go behind the hub, do they still work with our ROH?

And yes we are using the CL2.3 hub

Thanks
      We are "Slow and Reckless Racing", LIKE us on Facebook to keep up with our progress.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sl...03065806427543

Comment

92-96 prelude VTEC use the same calipers as 91-97 accord wagons. Changing the caliper bracket makes it so you can use different thickness rotors.

The 91-97 accord wagon rotors are the same diameter as prelude VTEC rotors but are different thicknesses. The 91-97 accord wagon rotors use 25t caliper brackets, and 92-96 prelude VTEC rotors use 23t caliper brackets. (rumor has it that you don't NEED to get the 23t bracket with Prelude VTEC rotor and that the stock 91-97 accord wagon 25t caliper bracket is fine... I'd just use the 23t bracket, easily found at Rockauto.com)

The 91-97 accord wagon rotors are Hub-over Rotor, (like accord sedans/coupes) whereas 92-96 Prelude VTEC rotors are ROH (like you are looking for).

- 2 cents. (I tried to make it as clear as I could, there are many "confusing" threads about "big-brake" ROH conversions..)
        Originally posted by deevergote
        These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

I'm not sure exactly which kit you should get, but if a big brake kit is in your budget I would contact these guys.

edit didn't see the don't want big brake kit part. Boo.

Comment

08 Acura tl typeS brembo's. Or Acura RL brembo's and brembo slotted rotors for corresponding vehicles.
            MR:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=150506

CHAMPCOUPE IS BACK !!!!

Comment

Since you've already converted to ROH and want to stay 4-lug your largest option is 11.1". The rotor is found in '93-'96 Preludes VTECs(23mm) and '98-'99 3.0CLs(25mm).

To go larger would require converting to 5-lug. But even goin as large as 11.1" will require a caliper upgrade also. The caliper everyone is suggesting can be found on many more cars than listed above. I've got a thread somewhere with that information but I'll just relist them here for the heck of it. I'll also include which bracket that car will have.

'91-'97 Accord wagon (25T)
              '95-'97 Accord V6 (25T)
              '93-'01 Prelude VTEC (23T)
              '92-'94 Vigor (23T)
              '96-'98 2.5TL/3.2TL (23T)
              '91-95 Legend exc. Type II (23T)
              '97-'01 Integra Type R (23T)
              '97-'99 3.0CL (25T)

That isn't even the whole list. '98-'02 Accords got them too but I'm not sure of the caliper bracket. Good luck.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post

'95-'97 Accord V6 (25T)
                '92-'94 Vigor (23T)
                '97-'99 3.0CL (25T)
                So this list of cars are all ones that are swapable to the CB?

Comment

that list is of cars that use the SAME caliper.
                  These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

'95-'97 Accord V6 (25T)
                    '92-'94 Vigor (23T)
                    '97-'99 3.0CL (25T)
                    Jarret, out of that lsit above, which are ROH? I'd also like stay 4 lug myself.
                    This is kind of a "confusing" subject lol.

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

To convert your knuckle to ROH your only option is to use the hubs from a '98-'99 2.3CL. As mtnbikaah clarified, the list above was for calipers only. The larger, single-piston Honda caliper.

EDIT for the sake of being thorough*
                      You can just use the entire knuckle from a 2.3CL or a '98-'99 3.0CL and still use any 4x114.3 Honda rotor you want.
                      Last edited by Jarrett; 01-27-2014, 07:28 PM.
                      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Jarrett, i think PakaloloHonda is asking which of those cars from that list come stock with 4 lug ROH rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
                          Jarret, out of that lsit above, which are ROH? I'd also like stay 4 lug myself.
                          This is kind of a "confusing" subject lol.
                          the best setup for you is to get the 98-99 acura cl 3.0 front brakes that way you keep the 4 lug and have larger rotors and calipers

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
                          "2SIIC"
                          Authentic Jerseys for sale
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

Yeah, if you're sticking with the CB front knuckle then the CL is pretty much where you'll get everything. The two choices you have are rotor size.

So to answer the question and to stay within the scope of what the OP's setup is you can use '98-'99 2.3CL hubs and rotors with CB bearings to convert to ROH and retain the factory calipers and 10" rotor diameter. If you want a larger rotor then you're still going to want the '98-'99 2.3CL hub and CB wheel bearing but you'll get the rotors from the 3.0CL instead. They are 11.1". To use these rotors you'll have to do a caliper upgrade. These rotors are 25mm thick which will require a 25T bracket and the larger Honda calipers found on the vehicles listed above.

If you're able to find a recent '98-'99 3.0CL in the junkyard and the wheels spin freely you can just grab the whole knuckle and have everything in one spot. What I've found though is that people trash those cars to get to the J-series transmissions as soon as they hit the yards so be quick.

Comment

Yeah, if you're sticking with the CB front knuckle then the CL is pretty much where you'll get everything. The two choices you have are rotor size.

So to answer the question and to stay within the scope of what the OP's setup is you can use '98-'99 2.3CL hubs and rotors with CB bearings to convert to ROH and retain the factory calipers and 10" rotor diameter. If you want a larger rotor then you're still going to want the '98-'99 2.3CL hub and CB wheel bearing but you'll get the rotors from the 3.0CL instead. They are 11.1". To use these rotors you'll have to do a caliper upgrade. These rotors are 25mm thick which will require a 25T bracket and the larger Honda calipers found on the vehicles listed above.

If you're able to find a recent '98-'99 3.0CL in the junkyard and the wheels spin freely you can just grab the whole knuckle and have everything in one spot. What I've found though is that people trash those cars to get to the J-series transmissions as soon as they hit the yards so be quick.
                              COOL! That's makes it a bit clearer .. ok, aLOT clearer! Thanks!
                              Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 05-02-2012, 11:07 PM.

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X