No announcement yet.

mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as you are buying quality gas, it shouldn't affect mpg. The only thing that might be a factor is whether or not the gas has ethanol in it (which most does these days, i believe.)
    The cheapest gas at just about every station in the us is going to be 97 octane. 89 is mid grade, and 91 or 93 is the top (depending on location... some will have all 4... some may still carry 94 octane. Sunoco used to in my area.)

Comment

Something to add about gas choices, higher quality stuff should not gunk up as fast and it will be longer time for the MPGs to drop with higher quality gas.

Also check your intake system for build up in the lower IM. It can get nasty in there and restrict air flow significantly.
      Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Here in the central states we have a lot of ethanol in fuel. Shell is one thats not that way. A little more expensive .2-.5 cents per gallon.

hellraisin also cleaned the egr passages in the h23 intake manifold and. That might have something to do with better mileage too.

Comment

Yeah, a properly functioning EGR system would probably help.
          Ethanol tends to decrease MPG. I use 92 octane gas with 10% ethanol. I still get 28-32mpg from my H22, though.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMPA View Post
            Hes got the following : H23 intake manifold and A6 runners, A6 camshaft, PT6 ecu, Maxspeed intake tube, K and N cone filter, Megan Header wraped in Dei Ti wrap, Megan test pipe, and generic ebay catback with an Obx resonator. I might be forgetting something but thats most of it at least.
            Ah , so there does need to be some modification. It's nice to know the vehicle is actually capable of good millage when reconfigured.

It's also nice to hear that someone else considers 37mpg GOOD vs a measly 28. Definitely on par with what it should be. I'll have to take it to a shop and link them this thread so they can make the adjustments the car needs to be correct again

Comment

You, sir, delusional.

Comment

Originally posted by emosun View Post
                Ah , so there does need to be some modification. It's nice to know the vehicle is actually capable of good millage when reconfigured.

It's also nice to hear that someone else considers 37mpg GOOD vs a measly 28. Definitely on par with what it should be. I'll have to take it to a shop and link them this thread so they can make the adjustments the car needs to be correct again
                The car was 100% bone stock when he first got it. It too got about 25-26. And now it gets 35-37 normally. He knows more than I do about these cars and Im sure he could tell you where he seen the biggest gain in mpg but I cant.

Comment

Would making the engine an "air whore" help with MPG because it makes more power while using the same amount of gas, or does this make it worse and requires to up the gas usage too?
                  Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

For a direct comparison, my stock 93 CB9 LX automatic got 32+ coming back to Ohio from FL last month. This was driving about 65 maximum (my daughters following me driving a loaded van with loaded trailer) with a driver and passenger and the rear of the car loaded with luggage, probably running the AC most of the time. In mixed driving it gets mid to upper 20s. Push the highway speeds into the low 70s and the mileage drops to around 28.
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

My new wheel bearings added a solid 3 mpg or more. The old ones had 330,000 miles on them I used to get 26-31 mpg. Now I have not dipped below 30 on any single fill up with slightly over 33 being my best so far. I believe I will hit 35 a few times this year. I always drive the speed limit.
                      I check my mpg every week every fill up. This is the most fuel efficient car I have owned, its astounding.
                      1991 civic hatch with jdm swap 23-26mpg
                      1993 Nissan truck with 2.4 four cylinder 19-23 mpg.
                      1970 cutlass 4 barrel 350 11-14mpg
                      1992 Toyota carolla 5 speed 26-29.
                      All I ever hear about are cars new and old that don't achieve there epa estimated mileage while the cb7 regularly exceeds it.
                      ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

driving style is fucking HUGE. stock + ihe h22a with an h22 5psd, i can get anywhere from 23mpg to 36. if i drive like a dick, im gonna get 23mpg city. i recently got 31mpg city.

31. miles per gallon. city driving.

absolutely nothing changed, mechanically. it was all in my right foot. change your driving style or deal with low mpg.

*of course, engine condition contributes to it as well. my old auto f22a1 got 18 city, 28 highway, but it was on its last legs (ran on three cylinders and sounded like a modded sti for a while) and i drove the shit out of it.

all in all, take care of your shit and dont drive like an asshole. these are the key concepts of good gas mileage.
                        To-Do List for Today
                        Be Awesome

Comment

Try reading up on this long read but has some useful stuff to help you out

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...t=Fuel+mileage

Comment

Originally posted by emosun View Post

Like what TAMPA said, I have gotten 37.2 mpg 100% highway before, on crappy tires and with three intake vacuum leaks at the time. I don't have any modifications besides a P12 ECU, which didn't boost or reduce the MPG when I installed it. The engine is at 280,000 miles, and compression is nearly 180 psi all the way across. You don't need these modifications to boost your MPG. You just need a healthy running engine and a 5-speed transmission.

Check your compression, and inspect the overall health of your vehicle. If you aren't taking care of it, modifications will be a complete waste of your time.

Comment

Most modifications will increase efficiency. Increased efficiency means more power and to a point better fuel economy. Its not uncommon with light modifications to see some mpg gains.

Its not needed to see mid 30s with the CB but it helps. But yes, before performance modifications are done routine maintenance should be done.

From my experience with the CB, more low end torque helps with mpg by lowering the rpms needed to move the car down the road. The PT6, A6 cam, H23 upper intake manifold mated to A6 runners and a better flowing header drastically improves low end torque from a completely stock stand point.

The biggest gain in mpg can be had with good driving habits. I can get upper teens if I drive hard which I have many times. Normally I drive the speed limit and see 30s.

Comment

I get about 24 mpg all around, with a full tune up and everything besides the actual engine is in good health. NGK plugs and wires, no bad oil leaks(cam seal leak, very minor if even existent anymore), new fuel filter and kn filter on a generic sri. 300k miles does a lot to an engine.. And my transmission is automatic, that has a lot to do with it. Fucking shifting all the time -.- Driving helps a lot. I am extremely conservative, partly because my engine is in weak health, and partly because I want to save gas. I rarely drive above 3k rpm, usually at 2k or right under. If you really want to get fuel efficient, bump up your tire pressure to say, 38, maybe 40, and use fuel injector cleaner(lucas fuel additive works wonders. I literally get 3mpg+ everytime I use it, def worth it). Weight reduction and a tune to make your fuel consumption lean would be good, too. It depends on how good you want it to be. If you want 38 mpg constantly, go get a d series ef civic. MPG isn't what accords are all about.
                                Originally posted by Quashish
                                hahaha

noobs be like where to be buying hella flush yo?

Comment

Working...
                                X