Ignition Timing Isseu Please Help*****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Timing Isseu Please Help*****

k guys i know this is not for my cb7 its for my civic but i need help badly and maybe someone here knows civics a little bit....the civic forums suck and are no help. maybe i can get help here. well today i did a tune up on the civic dist cap/rotor plugs and wires......now unlike the cb7 my civics dist. rotor has a screw holding it in place......now to get it off was a bitch becuase the screw was in a akward position......and the only way to get the new rotor on was to have the screw hold it in its place but the only way to do that was to turn the dist over so the screw was on top so i could get a screwdriver at it.....i know its hard to understan......but anyway i think i fucked up my timing becuase i had my girlfriend turn the car over (not start) just turn it over so the dist shaft could move so i could get that screw in place....so would turning it over like that without the dist cap on and without the plug wires on fuck up the timing? if so how do i correct it so its perfect timing again? this sucks and my haynes manual sucks? fizzbob if yo see this get at me on aim vteciscoming....PLEASE...my car is at a friends house and i need it..when i start it it misses while idleing and smells rich. how do i correct my timing? i have a timing gun but nothing else? thanks guys i know its hard to understansd...i checked, and double checked and triple checkled the plug order and its right....HELP.
    [deevergote]" It's not the car that makes the ricer... it's the ricer that ruins the car!"

So all you did was remove the cap to replace the rotor? No, spinning the engine without the cap on won't hurt anything...matter of fact thats how you're supposed to do it. So now it misses, huh. Sounds to me like you just mixed up a couple of the plug wires. Easiest way to correct this is to remove the cap, set the engine to TDC, and whichever terminal the rotor is pointing to you know is #1. So just place #1 plug wire on that terminal and (looking at the front of the cap) install the rest of the plug wires in a clockwise direction....1,3,4,2.
    00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Originally posted by mrhonda
      So all you did was remove the cap to replace the rotor? No, spinning the engine without the cap on won't hurt anything...matter of fact thats how you're supposed to do it. So now it misses, huh. Sounds to me like you just mixed up a couple of the plug wires. Easiest way to correct this is to remove the cap, set the engine to TDC, and whichever terminal the rotor is pointing to you know is #1. So just place #1 plug wire on that terminal and (looking at the front of the cap) install the rest of the plug wires in a clockwise direction....1,3,4,2.
      yea thats what i thought that fcuking set screw isnt able to be tightend unless its turned by turning the car over......k timing is fine...how do i set TDC?.....and thanks for the info....its 1342 ...yea it misses at idle scared the shit out of me....man the order gets confusing i gotta find a pic.
      [deevergote]" It's not the car that makes the ricer... it's the ricer that ruins the car!"

Comment

i have a haynes manual but its sucky.....

Comment

this is 93accordcoupe93......anyways to get TDC.....dont i have to line up the white line on the crank pulley with the V shaped grove on the bottom of the timing cover? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
            if that's off, then your belt either broke or slipped....there is no way you did what you said you did, and caused the actual motor timing to be off......the distributor is connected to the cam which is connected to the cam gear.....you won't turn that by hand on a healthy motor....all you did was bump it around......you can take the wires off and eat them if you want, and then turn it over and you won't hurt a thing but the battery's charge......it won't crank but turning it over hurts nothing......

i'd put money on it your wires are crossed
            yea i wish i had my car here i cant wait to get back at it...lol it was dark and i was super tired when i was working on it.......yeah i know excuses but i will do the wires again tommorrow. thanks AGAIN fizz.

Comment

Working...
            X