Nippon-Denso Tachometer Calibration Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nippon-Denso Tachometer Calibration Help

As you may notice in the vid below, my tachometer is reading higher than the actual rpm. However, it is not in the additive sense (as in the entire range of the needle reads 50rpm high), but in the multiplicative sense (the higher you rev, the farther off the tach is). For example, I am hitting 6k rpms when my tach says I am at 6700rpms, but near idle, It says I am reading 950rpms when I am down at 900rpms.

I am currently looking through jdm92accorn's thread, since he took his cluster out at some point and showed how to adjust the gauges. However, I don't know if I am going to find the answer. He had a Nippon-Seiko cluster in his car, and I have the Nippon-Denso. In the NS, there are adjustment screws on the outside of the cluster housing, accessible from the top surface. This is not the case with the ND cluster.

Has anyone had to calibrate the tach on an ND cluster before? If so, I could use your help very much. I'm pretty sure I need to find the correct potentiometer and twist it to increase resistance, but I'm not sure where it is.
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

My thoughts...

Assuming it's off, it's going to be from old age And I think any repairs you make the same results may occur again.

Comment

Its interesting you point this out, as my tuner said that honda makes the tacs read 10% higher then what the actual engine is doing. I noticed this when I had my shift light set to 7500 in hondata. Yet my tac would be close to 8000 by the time the light would come on. I trust the ecu more then the tac gauge but I still shift a little early just to be sure.
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Thanks for the replys, guys. You two are some of the true active holdouts on here.

Nick, yesterday, I read this on Hondata's SManager help manual, so that is good to have someone else states them same thing.

Raf, I'm just frustrated that the Nippon-Seiko version of our clusters have the easy to reach adjustable potentiometers. It just seems so weird that the Denso versions just don't have any accessible adjustment. I'm certainly not going to take the whole thing apart just to locate them, though. With S300 V.3, I can just read the rpm from the ECU right to my phone, thankfully.

MRT
        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

As long as the forum exists I'll be around to provide help, and show appreciation for all the members who post on here. I don't have any social media, except for reddit. I miss the forum mentality but I know its a dying breed.

Glad you still post up as well. I look forward to updates on your youtube channel.
          ~Nick~
          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
          MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Ya, good info to know. I had no idea. I've never looked at the laptop and the rpm gauge at the same time haha. This topic reminds me of the prelude digital rpm cluster. You always questioned it.

Comment

the clusters arent linear in their behaviour - even if you adjust it to be completely correct at lets say 3500 RPM, it won't be correct at lower and higher rpm's. in most countries, regulations say that the tach can't show less then you are driving, it can show more though. in germany, a tach can have a wrong reading by 10% + 4kmh , so if you drive 100 km an hour, your tachometer can still show 114km/h and still be in spec.
              you cant really make them as precise as you want afaik. if its too far off or completely out of whack, its most likely old and worn capacitors on the clusters pcb. i had a similar issue on my german Nippon Seiki cluster and fixed it by changing the capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzly92 View Post
                the clusters arent linear in their behaviour - even if you adjust it to be completely correct at lets say 3500 RPM, it won't be correct at lower and higher rpm's. in most countries, regulations say that the tach can't show less then you are driving, it can show more though. in germany, a tach can have a wrong reading by 10% + 4kmh , so if you drive 100 km an hour, your tachometer can still show 114km/h and still be in spec.
                you cant really make them as precise as you want afaik. if its too far off or completely out of whack, its most likely old and worn capacitors on the clusters pcb. i had a similar issue on my german Nippon Seiki cluster and fixed it by changing the capacitors.
                Gotcha, so even if I could find and adjust the potentiometers, they would only shift the entire needle's reading in an additive sense, moving all readings up and down by the same amount. Well, forget that then. It seems like an much easier route is to rip a cluster from a JY car with less miles than mine. I have Hondata's display set up to show me ECU rpm's now, and I have perfect pitch that allows me to just know the rpm from the pitch of the engine.

MRT
                Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

all for 50-500rpm at the far high end ? Seems easier to just get a shift light, etc?

Comment

I'm seeing the same problem after a cluster swap but it's around 100 rpm high at idle and around 350-400 rpm high at the top. I'm shifting at 8400ish when the fuel cut off is set to 8000 rpm. I'm wondering if sonik would be willing to swap capacitors out.
                    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
                      Gotcha, so even if I could find and adjust the potentiometers, they would only shift the entire needle's reading in an additive sense, moving all readings up and down by the same amount.
                      on my EDM NS cluster, there are 4 adjustment trimmers - and there are 4 analog gauges. i would guess that there is one trimmer for each gauge but maybe there are two for the rpm one and two for the mph one. i never tinkered with mine but if thats the case, you may have more control over the two main gauges.
                      but even then the tach will still be only an approximation of the real value.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                        all for 50-500rpm at the far high end ? Seems easier to just get a shift light, etc?
                        I have a shift light on the Hondata Mobile app and the CEL. The reason this bothers me so much is that I want accuracy on the top end, accuracy that allows the pitch that I hear to match what I see on the tach, especially in the pull videos I make. It's not that I am watching the tach while I drive, but that I analyze my videos and compare them with others put out by different users.

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                        I'm seeing the same problem after a cluster swap but it's around 100 rpm high at idle and around 350-400 rpm high at the top. I'm shifting at 8400ish when the fuel cut off is set to 8000 rpm. I'm wondering if sonik would be willing to swap capacitors out.
                        He could, he could. He could possibly also point me to the adjustable potentiometers that are not accessible from the outside.

Originally posted by Chrizzly92 View Post
                        on my EDM NS cluster, there are 4 adjustment trimmers - and there are 4 analog gauges. i would guess that there is one trimmer for each gauge but maybe there are two for the rpm one and two for the mph one. i never tinkered with mine but if thats the case, you may have more control over the two main gauges.
                        but even then the tach will still be only an approximation of the real value.
                        Yes, those are at the top, and they do affect the readout, as a few people pointed out on here. However, those only appear on the NS.

MRT
                        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Working...
                        X