No announcement yet.

CyborgGT : 1993 Accord EX wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, there were some big orders in there!

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
    Which kit did you go with? For restoration?
    For the lights? Rain-X, because it came with sanding discs for a drill (1500g, 3200g, & 4000g) and I'm lazy, haha. It was $20 or something like that. I had my own set of discs from another project that allowed me to get down to 600, though; got a couple multi-packs off eBay that had 600/800/1000/1200/1500.

And of course it's snowing again, delaying my going to Denver for the head work further. I checked the weather just last night and it said we were supposed to be clear, but now it's snowing and the forecasts are suddenly all saying snow today and tomorrow. I smacked a curb the other night going to work because of the ice pack, so I'm not risking something worse that far away from home. I should move to AZ, and be done with this weather.
    Last edited by CyborgGT; 02-09-2020, 12:23 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
      Here's something annoying. I've kept a running list, with dates and prices, of pretty much everything I've bought for the CB since I had the sedan, everything I bought for the H22 when I originally swapped it, and up until now. I figured that since my belts have been sitting for seven years, even though they only got a year and a half of use from new when I still had that car, it's probably a good idea to replace them...

OEM H22 timing belt, part number 14400-P13-014: $50.53 in October of 2010, $67.98 today.
      OEM H/F balancer belt, part number 13405-PT0004: $32.57 in October of 2010, $55.31 today.

Granted, these are Majestic prices, not Honda's list prices (which probably increased, too), but they're still coming in well under list. Purely adjusting for inflation, the difference should only be $9 and $6, respectively. Geez, if you haven't already, start investing in what OEM wear items you can still get before they're gone, be they mechanical wear or things in the car you touch frequently. The biggest reason it's a shame that these aren't popular enthusiast cars is the fact that we'll never see something like Nissan's heritage program where they started making old GT-R parts again.
      My brother-in-law has a 2007 Accord 4-cylinder. He's getting the dreaded P0420 code on his car and basically needs a new cat. The aftermarket cats he's tried (at large expense via a mechanic) wouldn't clear the code, so the only option is for him to go OEM. Two summers ago it was a $900 part from Honda. It's now a $1,900 part.

The bizarro thing, a 2006 Accord part is still just under $1,000. The 2007 specific cat is different :facepalm:

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
        My brother-in-law has a 2007 Accord 4-cylinder. He's getting the dreaded P0420 code on his car and basically needs a new cat. The aftermarket cats he's tried (at large expense via a mechanic) wouldn't clear the code, so the only option is for him to go OEM. Two summers ago it was a $900 part from Honda. It's now a $1,900 part.

The bizarro thing, a 2006 Accord part is still just under $1,000. The 2007 specific cat is different :facepalm:
        Damn. I actually went aftermarket when I replaced the cat on the RSX this past October, with a Walker direct-fit. OEM wasn't worth it in that case, but the Walker cleared that same code for me. I did replace both oxygen sensors with OEM Densos at the same time just to be safe, though. Walker's donut gasket squeaks like hell, too (or could re-used spring bolts squeak?); I need to get back under there with an OEM to see if that helps. But my only real worry is that I hear aftermarket cats of any brand tend not to last more than a couple years.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Can't wait to see what you do with this one man. Unfortunately you it's a pain to replace the batteries in the keys.

The parts car I picked up had all the original keys with it but to mate it with my car I would have had to switch the locks, including the ignition and the computer that controls it (it's that black box underneath the driver seat).

Hindsight...I should have done it since I only have one transmitter key left for mine but I didn't want to go through the hassle at the time.
          Henry R
          Koni/Neuspeed
          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
          1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
          Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
          made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

The buttons themselves are broken, that's my issue. I'm sure the batteries are dead, too, but I wouldn't even be able to find out. I was hoping it would be as simple as finding a good fob and programming it like you would with any modern car that has a fob separate from the key, since the key itself isn't coded to the ignition. As it is, I just picked up a couple standard Honda blanks that I need to get cut.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

It warmed up a bit finally, so I got a couple things done...

This '05-'10 Odyssey rear wiper arm assembly was actually installed the day I posted that parts haul, since it was so simple. I love when little details make such a big change!

Last weekend I picked up the rear glass from a junkyard, as well as the regulator+motor in case I needed them. For those wondering, yes a sedan rear window does fit a wagon. Also, in an earlier photo you may have noticed some trim surrounding one of the side cargo area windows had come loose in a couple corners. That simply wedged back into place.

At least they did a thorough job of patching it...

God I hate thieves. I suppose at least they took out the more easily replaced of the windows, though.

Swapped and cleaned up... I do have plans to remove as much black trim as I can to re-spray it, by the way.

With the turn signals resurfaced, I worked up the courage and went after the headlights. Got one done tonight before my toes started freezing. Here are some before shots of the one side. Not too bad, really, but there was room for improvement. You'll see here I also threw on the eBay grille for test fitting. The fitment's crap, it sags a bit in the middle under the hood line. I'm not sure if I'll put the stock one back on, or keep it until the stock grille has been customized into a similar style with OEM fitment.

No going back now...

Still not perfect, but better than before. A couple scratches were deeper than 600 grit was wanting to take out without risking me grinding dips into the plastic, and at the end there's still some very slight swirl marks that the polish wasn't wanting to flatten out.

I got the 3M clear protective film on the three lenses that are done so far. The headlight was a massive pain to cover. I'm really hoping a heat gun or sunlight over time will take care of the crease marks left from repeated peeling back to flatten out air pockets. The film is flat now, it's just the adhesive underneath that got all ugly. And of course, thinking back now, I could have dug out my finer body work polish before putting the film on to take care of those swirl marks. Hopefully the driver's side will end up cleaner when I get to it.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Very nice man! I am hoping I can snag a set of one peice lamps for mine. I just recently picked up a set of RSX seats for $100. I also have some work ahead of me as well.
                Henry R
                Koni/Neuspeed
                1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,

Comment

Yeah, I saw that in your thread but from what you said I wasn't sure if you were keeping them since they sit higher. That's a proper deal for RSX seats, though. In good shape, I see them go for $5-600 all the time on the RSX forum. Are they '02-'04s, or '05-'06s with the thicker padding?

The '05-'06s in my '02 RSX:

Last edited by CyborgGT; 02-17-2020, 12:44 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Looking good. Love the headlights, classic properly done.
                    I would of just taken that whole back door off and outside somewhere to shake / vacuum, etc. I had a car window broken once, hated the idea of finding glass everywhere. I once knew a guy who broke his window and just drove around with the glass rattling in the door.

Comment

I bought the headlights as they are. Eventually I'd like to find another set that doesn't have the high beam dishes painted, and just put yellow bulbs in there.

But the head was dropped off at Heads by Drew in Denver today, it'll probably be a couple months (which is fine by me, I hate working in the cold). He's a big name locally, so he's backed up. It's funny, I go in there with my Supertech parts and he says, "oh good, you brought me good parts, none of that Brian Crower shit." I didn't even know Brian Crower were bad parts, but boy does he not like them. Dodged a bullet there, since I was seeing good and bad reviews for every brand available, including Supertech.

I think next Monday when I have time I'll just go down to PFI and talk to them about who they go to to re-sleeve their blocks and look over the crank, etc. I'd prefer to support a local shop rather than ship it out, but it's of course a matter of finding someone I'd trust with a Honda block (i.e. not a domestic shop).
                      Last edited by CyborgGT; 02-17-2020, 07:26 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Yeah, I saw that in your thread but from what you said I wasn't sure if you were keeping them since they sit higher. That's a proper deal for RSX seats, though. In good shape, I see them go for $5-600 all the time on the RSX forum. Are they '02-'04s, or '05-'06s with the thicker padding?

The '05-'06s in my '02 RSX:

02 to 04s

Ironically a few days ago an 05 with the exact seats I was after showed up for some maint at my work...owner is a smoker though.

I cant seem to find a good set of 05s though so these will do for now.
                        Henry R
                        Koni/Neuspeed
                        1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                        Legend FSM

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
                          02 to 04s

Ironically a few days ago an 05 with the exact seats I was after showed up for some maint at my work...owner is a smoker though.

I cant seem to find a good set of 05s though so these will do for now.
                          If you ever find a set of '05s, they are noticeably more comfortable. I wasn't liking my '02s on longer drives.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I bought the headlights as they are. Eventually I'd like to find another set that doesn't have the high beam dishes painted, and just put yellow bulbs in there.

But the head was dropped off at Heads by Drew in Denver today, it'll probably be a couple months (which is fine by me, I hate working in the cold). He's a big name locally, so he's backed up. It's funny, I go in there with my Supertech parts and he says, "oh good, you brought me good parts, none of that Brian Crower shit." I didn't even know Brian Crower were bad parts, but boy does he not like them. Dodged a bullet there, since I was seeing good and bad reviews for every brand available, including Supertech.

I think next Monday when I have time I'll just go down to PFI and talk to them about who they go to to re-sleeve their blocks and look over the crank, etc. I'd prefer to support a local shop rather than ship it out, but it's of course a matter of finding someone I'd trust with a Honda block (i.e. not a domestic shop).
                            I heard that since Brian Crower’s son took over a while ago, their quality in parts has gone down. But I have supertech parts and so far have not had any issues with them.
                            ~Nick~
                            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                            MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

did you use the headlight specific 3m film or the paint protective film to cover your lenses?

Comment

Headlight-specific. Three feet of this stuff: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254234823670

And now I'm just realizing that I forgot I was supposed to wet the headlight down first and squeegee it flat. It's not like I haven't done that before for large stickers, either. Damnit!
                                Last edited by CyborgGT; 02-18-2020, 03:00 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                                X