Valve springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve springs

Hey there guys got a question for ya. I plan on doing a whole head refresh here soon and was wondering what my options were as far as valve springs as I plan on upgrading my cam. Now I know about bisi, but I like to know all my options before I decide. Its not a crazy build but I want it to be sturdy for daily driving.

This is just my personal opinion and I'm sure others will disagree. Brand new f22a6 springs from the Honda parts department. People run the stage 2 cam with over 200k miles on stock f22a valvetrain. Its not the best idea with that many miles, but if 200k mile worn springs work, 0 mile springs should work and be reliable.

I feel that aftermarket valve springs wont be a benefit unless you're gonna rev the engine past the stock rev limit. The added seat pressure of aftermarket valve springs add to the overall wear to the valvetrain.

Comment

Originally posted by D1sclaimer View Post
      This is just my personal opinion and I'm sure others will disagree. Brand new f22a6 springs from the Honda parts department. People run the stage 2 cam with over 200k miles on stock f22a valvetrain. Its not the best idea with that many miles, but if 200k mile worn springs work, 0 mile springs should work and be reliable.

I feel that aftermarket valve springs wont be a benefit unless you're gonna rev the engine past the stock rev limit. The added seat pressure of aftermarket valve springs add to the overall wear to the valvetrain.
      wow, somebody that actually knows what you are talking about. the bisimoto springs are way too much for a DD. he claims 75 lbs but i have measured them upwards towards 95.

people have ran them with no problems though, i dont know if it will hold up over long term. i also have bisimoto and a6 springs.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

What about running 16 of the 14761-PT1-004 yellows from the A1??? Any one have any spring seat measurements on these?
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

cam

The biggest cam I would go on a a stock bottom end would be a stage 2 and I would get the springs that go with it.
          Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
          93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

this is all very useful guys thanks. Wed3k im more along the lines with you, i figure if i hear of people doing it on over 200k springs and no head work then i should be fine with some new oem replacements and retainers. i plan on having it tore down and reassembled at a shop also, so i am wondering about the valve lash since i know it wont be the same as stock?

Comment

thats something you need to ask bisimoto or the cam company...it should be on the cam card as well.
              I <3 G60.

Comment

Cool thanks man.. Im kind of a newb with some of this stuff but im eager to learn and try to do as much research as I can. I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way so keep an eye out lol

Comment

Depends how you drive. If you stomp it and like to get near the factory redline (or go above it) then Bisi. Anything else is way too stiff. If you drive calmly and stuff factory is fine. But I wouldn't trust the 200,000 mile springs with a stage 2 cam. Last thing you wanna do is float the valves and wreck your motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
                    Depends how you drive. If you stomp it and like to get near the factory redline (or go above it) then Bisi. Anything else is way too stiff. If you drive calmly and stuff factory is fine. But I wouldn't trust the 200,000 mile springs with a stage 2 cam. Last thing you wanna do is float the valves and wreck your motor.
                    Did you read my post in full or just pick and choose what you wanted to read?

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                      wow, somebody that actually knows what you are talking about. the bisimoto springs are way too much for a DD. he claims 75 lbs but i have measured them upwards towards 95.

people have ran them with no problems though, i dont know if it will hold up over long term. i also have bisimoto and a6 springs.
                      Do valve springs "settle" like suspension springs do? Maybe thats why you measured seat pressure so high? I honestly don't know.

Just for reference to this thread, my buddy cracked a ringland in his cobalt. We threw in forged pistons and he built and ported the head. Afterwards, he ran his water/meth injection tune on 91 gas and blew a headgasket like an idiot. When we pulled the head, his titanium retainers were cracked and chipped to shit after 3k miles. We took the springs to a machinist and he measured 100 lbs of seat pressure. Supertech sent him the wrong shit and luckily it was just the headgasket that took a shit. The retainers were ready to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by D1sclaimer View Post
                        Do valve springs "settle" like suspension springs do? Maybe thats why you measured seat pressure so high? I honestly don't know.

Just for reference to this thread, my buddy cracked a ringland in his cobalt. We threw in forged pistons and he built and ported the head. Afterwards, he ran his water/meth injection tune on 91 gas and blew a headgasket like an idiot. When we pulled the head, his titanium retainers were cracked and chipped to shit after 3k miles. We took the springs to a machinist and he measured 100 lbs of seat pressure. Supertech sent him the wrong shit and luckily it was just the headgasket that took a shit. The retainers were ready to fail.
                        i dont know if i would blame it solely on the springs but with lighter weight parts, you can run less spring pressure which is less stress on the other components. the cam(s) dont have to turn as hard and less stress on the valvetrain which in turn, improves durability.

but 100lbs on the seat is pretty common nowadays especially on a race motor and springs dont really settle. if they settled all the time, how would one get an accurate reading?
                        I <3 G60.

Comment

When I got my head work done last summer, the guy at the machine shop told me my springs were in great shape, after 263k miles. I didn't reuse them though because I had already purchased Bisi springs and retainers. The stock springs are stronger than one thinks.

1990 CB7 - Almost Done - Delta 272, SRI, 2.25 catback, Bisi intake manifold gasket, A6 intake double stacked, H22 plenum, AEM cam gear, F23a block, F22a head, Wiseco K20 pistons, DSM 450cc injectors

2004 Z33 - Brembo BBK, Nismo spoiler, Nismo lip, Nismo shift knob, AEM CAI

Comment

Working...
                          X