CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Technical

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #41
texasvtak
Southern Regional Mudder Hater
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: two guesses
Posts: 4,377
texasvtak seems to have made some friends! texasvtak seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to texasvtak
driving style is fucking HUGE. stock + ihe h22a with an h22 5psd, i can get anywhere from 23mpg to 36. if i drive like a dick, im gonna get 23mpg city. i recently got 31mpg city.

31. miles per gallon. city driving.

absolutely nothing changed, mechanically. it was all in my right foot. change your driving style or deal with low mpg.

*of course, engine condition contributes to it as well. my old auto f22a1 got 18 city, 28 highway, but it was on its last legs (ran on three cylinders and sounded like a modded sti for a while) and i drove the shit out of it.

all in all, take care of your shit and dont drive like an asshole. these are the key concepts of good gas mileage.
__________________
To-Do List for Today
Be Awesome
texasvtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #42
ErMMaC
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 209
ErMMaC is cool... so far.
Try reading up on this long read but has some useful stuff to help you out

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...t=Fuel+mileage
__________________
ErMMaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #43
Flyingsheep
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 114
Flyingsheep is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emosun View Post
Ah , so there does need to be some modification. It's nice to know the vehicle is actually capable of good millage when reconfigured.

It's also nice to hear that someone else considers 37mpg GOOD vs a measly 28. Definitely on par with what it should be. I'll have to take it to a shop and link them this thread so they can make the adjustments the car needs to be correct again
Like what TAMPA said, I have gotten 37.2 mpg 100% highway before, on crappy tires and with three intake vacuum leaks at the time. I don't have any modifications besides a P12 ECU, which didn't boost or reduce the MPG when I installed it. The engine is at 280,000 miles, and compression is nearly 180 psi all the way across. You don't need these modifications to boost your MPG. You just need a healthy running engine and a 5-speed transmission.

Check your compression, and inspect the overall health of your vehicle. If you aren't taking care of it, modifications will be a complete waste of your time.
Flyingsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #44
TAMPA
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 125
TAMPA seems to have made some friends! TAMPA seems to have made some friends!
Most modifications will increase efficiency. Increased efficiency means more power and to a point better fuel economy. Its not uncommon with light modifications to see some mpg gains.

Its not needed to see mid 30s with the CB but it helps. But yes, before performance modifications are done routine maintenance should be done.

From my experience with the CB, more low end torque helps with mpg by lowering the rpms needed to move the car down the road. The PT6, A6 cam, H23 upper intake manifold mated to A6 runners and a better flowing header drastically improves low end torque from a completely stock stand point.

The biggest gain in mpg can be had with good driving habits. I can get upper teens if I drive hard which I have many times. Normally I drive the speed limit and see 30s.
TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #45
honda2014
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Jackson, Tn
Posts: 150
honda2014 is cool... so far.
I get about 24 mpg all around, with a full tune up and everything besides the actual engine is in good health. NGK plugs and wires, no bad oil leaks(cam seal leak, very minor if even existent anymore), new fuel filter and kn filter on a generic sri. 300k miles does a lot to an engine.. And my transmission is automatic, that has a lot to do with it. Fucking shifting all the time -.- Driving helps a lot. I am extremely conservative, partly because my engine is in weak health, and partly because I want to save gas. I rarely drive above 3k rpm, usually at 2k or right under. If you really want to get fuel efficient, bump up your tire pressure to say, 38, maybe 40, and use fuel injector cleaner(lucas fuel additive works wonders. I literally get 3mpg+ everytime I use it, def worth it). Weight reduction and a tune to make your fuel consumption lean would be good, too. It depends on how good you want it to be. If you want 38 mpg constantly, go get a d series ef civic. MPG isn't what accords are all about.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quashish View Post
hahaha

noobs be like where to be buying hella flush yo?
honda2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #46
TAMPA
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 125
TAMPA seems to have made some friends! TAMPA seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda2014 View Post
I get about 24 mpg all around, with a full tune up and everything besides the actual engine is in good health. NGK plugs and wires, no bad oil leaks(cam seal leak, very minor if even existent anymore), new fuel filter and kn filter on a generic sri. 300k miles does a lot to an engine.. And my transmission is automatic, that has a lot to do with it. Fucking shifting all the time -.- Driving helps a lot. I am extremely conservative, partly because my engine is in weak health, and partly because I want to save gas. I rarely drive above 3k rpm, usually at 2k or right under. If you really want to get fuel efficient, bump up your tire pressure to say, 38, maybe 40, and use fuel injector cleaner(lucas fuel additive works wonders. I literally get 3mpg+ everytime I use it, def worth it). Weight reduction and a tune to make your fuel consumption lean would be good, too. It depends on how good you want it to be. If you want 38 mpg constantly, go get a d series ef civic. MPG isn't what accords are all about.
Like I said earlier in this thread. h311ra151n is getting 37mpg and it has 370,000 miles. His auto has 245,000 miles and gets 31mpg and it pisses a quart of oil every 50 miles. Other than the rear main seal in the auto which isnt drove anymore, they are extremely well maintained.

My tires max inflation is 40psi. So 38-40psi wont be too much. But the idea of increasing psi above proper inflation to improve mileage is not correct.

Tuning your engine to run lean is a horrible idea.

Weight reduction does wonders to an extent. Getting rid of all the crap people haul around will make a difference depending on how much crap there is.

What most people forget is that adding fuel additives increase the cost of the tank of gas you add it to. They forget that they payed for the fuel additive. Most times you actually lose money even though it gets better mileage.

You say you get 3mpg better using Lucas.
A gallon of gas here costs $3.54.
A bottle of Lucas fuel additive is $7.00.
If your getting 24 mpg your going 300 miles on 12.5 gallons. It costs you $44.25 to go 300 miles @ 24mpg.
With Lucas fuel additive your getting 37.2 more miles to 12.5 gallons.
That 37.2 miles is costing you $7.00
$7.00 at $3.54 a gallon will get you 1.9 gallons.
1.9 gallons will get you 45.6 miles @ 24 mpg

If you were to spend that $7.00 of fuel you would go 45.6 miles as opposed to only 37.2 miles using the additive.

So using Lucas fuel additive in your case is not cost effective.

I know the fuel prices where you live are not what they are here. However the current national average is $3.61 for regular unleaded gasoline. Even at $3.61 its still not cost effective.

Last edited by TAMPA; 06-17-2013 at 11:25 PM.
TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #47
RyanD
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Reno "The land of sand"
Posts: 1,280
RyanD seems to have made some friends! RyanD seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanD
so can anyone explain how i have a healthy auto and i only get about 26 mpg on average?
__________________

"The Salty Old Bitch"
F22a4, Manual (Auto lasted to 368k)
My MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194341
RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #48
TAMPA
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 125
TAMPA seems to have made some friends! TAMPA seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
so can anyone explain how i have a healthy auto and i only get about 26 mpg on average?
Your foots in and out on the throttle too much. I noticed it and so did our friend h311ra151n. Maybe its just here because you dont know the area very well. But we noticed you go in and out of lockup more than you should. Im saying this as a friend and because you asked.

The topic came about yesterday when he was welding my exhaust on my truck. I mentioned this thread, mpgs people were getting, his and mine and he mentioned you get 26. I asked why and he said if you had a steadier foot you would see 30s he thinks.


He only gets low 30s from his auto though. So not tons to be gained for you really. Maybe 5-6 mpg. Thats still some though.

You also have a stuttering problem on take offs from lights and stop signs. Something isnt quite right with your engine. And thats evidence of it not being completely healthy.

Last edited by TAMPA; 06-17-2013 at 11:38 PM.
TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #49
RyanD
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Reno "The land of sand"
Posts: 1,280
RyanD seems to have made some friends! RyanD seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPA View Post
Your foots in and out on the throttle too much. I noticed it and so did our friend h311ra151n. Maybe its just here because you dont know the area very well. But we noticed you go in and out of lockup more than you should. Im saying this as a friend and because you asked.

The topic came about yesterday when he was welding my exhaust on my truck. I mentioned this thread, mpgs people were getting, his and mine and he mentioned you get 26. I asked why and he said if you had a steadier foot you would see 30s he thinks.


He only gets low 30s from his auto though. So not tons to be gained for you really. Maybe 5-6 mpg. Thats still some though.

You also have a stuttering problem on take offs from lights and stop signs. Something isnt quite right with your engine. And thats evidence of it not being completely healthy.
is that why? i never thought i did that. so if i go lighter on the gas then i should get better mileage? must be the city then because i used to have a light foot. i will try that from now on.

that sputter in my engine is the clogged EGR. i dont think it affects mpg`s as it hasent gotton worse since it started. i could clean it out but im going to just get a new intake mani.
__________________

"The Salty Old Bitch"
F22a4, Manual (Auto lasted to 368k)
My MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194341
RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #50
TAMPA
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 125
TAMPA seems to have made some friends! TAMPA seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
is that why? i never thought i did that. so if i go lighter on the gas then i should get better mileage? must be the city then because i used to have a light foot. i will try that from now on.

that sputter in my engine is the clogged EGR. i dont think it affects mpg`s as it hasent gotton worse since it started. i could clean it out but im going to just get a new intake mani.
Most people dont realize it when they do. I dont have a really steady foot either so your not alone. But I have manuals so its not as bad. Its a bad habit I got from living in Cali where its bumper to bumper traffic at 80mph all the time.

The clogged EGR system is for sure effecting your mileage. Its been clogged for the last 200,000 miles most likely. Thats why you have not noticed it get any worse.
TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #51
RyanD
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Reno "The land of sand"
Posts: 1,280
RyanD seems to have made some friends! RyanD seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPA View Post
Most people dont realize it when they do. I dont have a really steady foot either so your not alone. But I have manuals so its not as bad. Its a bad habit I got from living in Cali where its bumper to bumper traffic at 80mph all the time.

The clogged EGR system is for sure effecting your mileage. Its been clogged for the last 200,000 miles most likely. Thats why you have not noticed it get any worse.
but it just started sputtering

im going to work on the heavy foot. slow takeoffs and easy accel.
__________________

"The Salty Old Bitch"
F22a4, Manual (Auto lasted to 368k)
My MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194341
RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #52
TAMPA
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 125
TAMPA seems to have made some friends! TAMPA seems to have made some friends!
h311ra151n just texted me. He said for me to quit picking his brain when i come over to his shop and posting it here on the forums. He said im starting to sound to much like him. I bet he will see this too, Fuck you h311ra151n! Just playin
TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #53
RyanD
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Reno "The land of sand"
Posts: 1,280
RyanD seems to have made some friends! RyanD seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPA View Post
h311ra151n just texted me. He said for me to quit picking his brain when i come over to his shop and posting it here on the forums. He said im starting to sound to much like him. I bet he will see this too, Fuck you h311ra151n! Just playin
that is funny shit! i just msg him on f book
__________________

"The Salty Old Bitch"
F22a4, Manual (Auto lasted to 368k)
My MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194341
RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #54
RyanD
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Reno "The land of sand"
Posts: 1,280
RyanD seems to have made some friends! RyanD seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanD
so why did the sputtering just start?
__________________

"The Salty Old Bitch"
F22a4, Manual (Auto lasted to 368k)
My MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194341
RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #55
TAMPA
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 125
TAMPA seems to have made some friends! TAMPA seems to have made some friends!
I dont know.

But hesitation on take offs like you have can be traced back to a clogged egr system. id try cleaning it and see what that does. You know it needs it anyways.
TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #56
RyanD
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Reno "The land of sand"
Posts: 1,280
RyanD seems to have made some friends! RyanD seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanD
yea and its gonna be a bitch to clean
__________________

"The Salty Old Bitch"
F22a4, Manual (Auto lasted to 368k)
My MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194341
RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #57
cb7 calling
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 435
cb7 calling is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
so can anyone explain how i have a healthy auto and i only get about 26 mpg on average?
That's actually pretty good for an auto. They are not as efficient. I will never own a torque converter for this reason. Maybe dct but not likely. My girlfiends 1996 with f22 gets about 26 mostly highway.
Edit* forgot to mention her car is auto
__________________
......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Last edited by cb7 calling; 06-18-2013 at 04:32 PM.
cb7 calling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #58
TAMPA
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 125
TAMPA seems to have made some friends! TAMPA seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb7 calling View Post
That's actually pretty good for an auto. They are not as efficient. I will never own a torque converter for this reason. Maybe dct but not likely. My girlfiends 1996 with f22 gets about 26 mostly highway.
Its not bad, but its not necessary either. The auto makes it hard but its still possible to get better than 26. There are members on here getting better than 26 with autos.
TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.