Fuel pump or Main Relay? No Fuel to the Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel pump or Main Relay? No Fuel to the Motor

My motor is not getting any fuel. My pump isnt turning on when i turn the ignition on. I replaced the main relay and even soldered the points just in case and it still is not working. I checked all the fuses on the kick panel and the fuse box under the hood. I jumped 5 & 7 on the relay and the pump comes on. I did the paperclip in the connector since the CEL is on when i turn the key and i get no code... I cleaned the ground behind the back seat and also under the thermostat. The pump randomly turned on the other day and the car tried to start but then the CEL came back on and no fuel again! I am running out of ideas here can anyone help?

I have 2 door panels to put on and the car is on the road again and this B.S happens.

Originally posted by brian91accord View Post
    My motor is not getting any fuel. My pump isnt turning on when i turn the ignition on. I replaced the main relay and even soldered the points just in case and it still is not working. I checked all the fuses on the kick panel and the fuse box under the hood. I jumped 5 & 7 on the relay and the pump comes on. I did the paperclip in the connector since the CEL is on when i turn the key and i get no code... I cleaned the ground behind the back seat and also under the thermostat. The pump randomly turned on the other day and the car tried to start but then the CEL came back on and no fuel again! I am running out of ideas here can anyone help?

I have 2 door panels to put on and the car is on the road again and this B.S happens.
    Whats wrong with your other thread? - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181298

Have you checked for power and earth at the fuel pump?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
      Whats wrong with your other thread? - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181298

Have you checked for power and earth at the fuel pump?
      no one seems to want to help me even though i read every thread and still can't figure it out. Tomorrow i am going to run power right to the pump from battery and ground it out.

Comment

Originally posted by brian91accord View Post
        no one seems to want to help me even though i read every thread and still can't figure it out.
        4 people helped you, maybe the other people that looked at the thread diddn't know the answer, so they diddn't comment.

As I said above, - Have you checked for power and earth?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
          4 people helped you, maybe the other people that looked at the thread diddn't know the answer, so they diddn't comment.

As I said above, - Have you checked for power and earth?
          was going to check it today but its pouring! It doesnt even seem like i have power to the main relay. But if i give it power its still not kicking on, only when i jump 5 & 7 the pump kicks on.

Comment

troubleshooting is a waste of time if you don't 100% check off each part of what you're checking

you know you need power, power to the relay, power to the pump and gas

check them in a systematic order. doing it right once is all you gotta do and we really can't do anything here at all. you have the right idea, and it can be a real PITA

chances are it's your pump. pumps can be intermittent or be so weak they dont' sound like they're pumping when they're actually coming on just barely.

just easier to make SURE it ISN'T something easier to check. dropping the tank is annoying
            ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

Originally posted by rickyduckworth View Post
              troubleshooting is a waste of time if you don't 100% check off each part of what you're checking

you know you need power, power to the relay, power to the pump and gas

check them in a systematic order. doing it right once is all you gotta do and we really can't do anything here at all. you have the right idea, and it can be a real PITA

chances are it's your pump. pumps can be intermittent or be so weak they dont' sound like they're pumping when they're actually coming on just barely.

just easier to make SURE it ISN'T something easier to check. dropping the tank is annoying

Well im not droppping the tank, i have a hole in the trunk already.. I dropped it 2 times im not doing it again. there is a walbro 255 in there now. I am still trying just getting very frustrated.

Comment

someone told me to run straight power to the pump and i did, the pump came on. I need my multimeter to check for power and ground at the pump.
                The Fuel injection resistor box wouldnt cause anything correct?

Comment

If the injector resistor box is bad, the injectors won't work... the engine gets no fuel.

If the pump works on direct power, and doesn't run when you turn the key, then the problem is either the main relay or the wiring. If the pump turns on when you turn the key, and the engine still gets no fuel, look to the injector resistor box.

I'm assuming that you've already confirmed that it's not starting due to a lack of fuel, and not a lack of spark. If you haven't... do that.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    If the injector resistor box is bad, the injectors won't work... the engine gets no fuel.

If the pump works on direct power, and doesn't run when you turn the key, then the problem is either the main relay or the wiring. If the pump turns on when you turn the key, and the engine still gets no fuel, look to the injector resistor box.

I'm assuming that you've already confirmed that it's not starting due to a lack of fuel, and not a lack of spark. If you haven't... do that.
                    Its getting plenty of spark. It gets direct power to the pump. I replaced the relay and i even soldered the points on the new relay. Motor is getting no fuel due to pump not turning on. If i jump 5 & 7 the pump turns on and while doing that i turn the nut on fuel rail, fuel comes out.
                    Also, every once in a while the pump will kick on by its self without doing anything to it.
                    Last edited by brian91accord; 08-22-2011, 07:50 PM.

Comment

It sounds like there's an issue in your wiring, then.

Comment

Yea, and i did nothing but take the main relay out and put it back in. It doesnt have to be grounded out correct? Same with the Cruise control box? Right now they are just hanging.

Comment

Yeah, that's all you need to do. My relay is hanging as well.

Check the wiring at the pump itself, and any wiring that may have been touched during the install of that aftermarket unit.

Also, if you resoldered the new relay, you may have caused issues. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            Yeah, that's all you need to do. My relay is hanging as well.

Check the wiring at the pump itself, and any wiring that may have been touched during the install of that aftermarket unit.

Also, if you resoldered the new relay, you may have caused issues. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
                            The wire near the pump was sliced a little bit but there is continuity in it and i taped it back up. I was thinking about getting a new relay for shits and giggles to just try it.

It just doesnt make sense, when i jump 5 & 7 on the relay, the pump turns on.

Comment

Then I suppose that narrows it down to the relay, if the wiring from the relay to the pump seems to be working properly. Unless there's an issue with the signal to the relay. That is getting beyond my abilities, though... I have little experience with the electrical system, as my own has never given me any major problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X