CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Technical

Old 08-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
brian91accord
CB7tuner Member

brian91accord is cool... so far.
Fuel pump or Main Relay? No Fuel to the Motor

My motor is not getting any fuel. My pump isnt turning on when i turn the ignition on. I replaced the main relay and even soldered the points just in case and it still is not working. I checked all the fuses on the kick panel and the fuse box under the hood. I jumped 5 & 7 on the relay and the pump comes on. I did the paperclip in the connector since the CEL is on when i turn the key and i get no code... I cleaned the ground behind the back seat and also under the thermostat. The pump randomly turned on the other day and the car tried to start but then the CEL came back on and no fuel again! I am running out of ideas here can anyone help?

I have 2 door panels to put on and the car is on the road again and this B.S happens.
brian91accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
evil_demon_01

evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian91accord View Post
My motor is not getting any fuel. My pump isnt turning on when i turn the ignition on. I replaced the main relay and even soldered the points just in case and it still is not working. I checked all the fuses on the kick panel and the fuse box under the hood. I jumped 5 & 7 on the relay and the pump comes on. I did the paperclip in the connector since the CEL is on when i turn the key and i get no code... I cleaned the ground behind the back seat and also under the thermostat. The pump randomly turned on the other day and the car tried to start but then the CEL came back on and no fuel again! I am running out of ideas here can anyone help?

I have 2 door panels to put on and the car is on the road again and this B.S happens.
Whats wrong with your other thread? - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181298

Have you checked for power and earth at the fuel pump?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.
evil_demon_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
brian91accord
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
Whats wrong with your other thread? - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181298

Have you checked for power and earth at the fuel pump?
no one seems to want to help me even though i read every thread and still can't figure it out. Tomorrow i am going to run power right to the pump from battery and ground it out.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
evil_demon_01

evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian91accord View Post
no one seems to want to help me even though i read every thread and still can't figure it out.
4 people helped you, maybe the other people that looked at the thread diddn't know the answer, so they diddn't comment.

As I said above, - Have you checked for power and earth?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.
evil_demon_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
brian91accord
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
4 people helped you, maybe the other people that looked at the thread diddn't know the answer, so they diddn't comment.

As I said above, - Have you checked for power and earth?
was going to check it today but its pouring! It doesnt even seem like i have power to the main relay. But if i give it power its still not kicking on, only when i jump 5 & 7 the pump kicks on.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
rickyduckworth
Banned

rickyduckworth is cool... so far.
troubleshooting is a waste of time if you don't 100% check off each part of what you're checking

you know you need power, power to the relay, power to the pump and gas

check them in a systematic order. doing it right once is all you gotta do and we really can't do anything here at all. you have the right idea, and it can be a real PITA

chances are it's your pump. pumps can be intermittent or be so weak they dont' sound like they're pumping when they're actually coming on just barely.

just easier to make SURE it ISN'T something easier to check. dropping the tank is annoying
Old 08-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
brian91accord
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyduckworth View Post
troubleshooting is a waste of time if you don't 100% check off each part of what you're checking

you know you need power, power to the relay, power to the pump and gas

check them in a systematic order. doing it right once is all you gotta do and we really can't do anything here at all. you have the right idea, and it can be a real PITA

chances are it's your pump. pumps can be intermittent or be so weak they dont' sound like they're pumping when they're actually coming on just barely.

just easier to make SURE it ISN'T something easier to check. dropping the tank is annoying

Well im not droppping the tank, i have a hole in the trunk already.. I dropped it 2 times im not doing it again. there is a walbro 255 in there now. I am still trying just getting very frustrated.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
brian91accord
CB7tuner Member

someone told me to run straight power to the pump and i did, the pump came on. I need my multimeter to check for power and ground at the pump.
The Fuel injection resistor box wouldnt cause anything correct?
Old 08-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
If the injector resistor box is bad, the injectors won't work... the engine gets no fuel.

If the pump works on direct power, and doesn't run when you turn the key, then the problem is either the main relay or the wiring. If the pump turns on when you turn the key, and the engine still gets no fuel, look to the injector resistor box.

I'm assuming that you've already confirmed that it's not starting due to a lack of fuel, and not a lack of spark. If you haven't... do that.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
brian91accord
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
If the injector resistor box is bad, the injectors won't work... the engine gets no fuel.

If the pump works on direct power, and doesn't run when you turn the key, then the problem is either the main relay or the wiring. If the pump turns on when you turn the key, and the engine still gets no fuel, look to the injector resistor box.

I'm assuming that you've already confirmed that it's not starting due to a lack of fuel, and not a lack of spark. If you haven't... do that.
Its getting plenty of spark. It gets direct power to the pump. I replaced the relay and i even soldered the points on the new relay. Motor is getting no fuel due to pump not turning on. If i jump 5 & 7 the pump turns on and while doing that i turn the nut on fuel rail, fuel comes out.
Also, every once in a while the pump will kick on by its self without doing anything to it.

Last edited by brian91accord; 08-22-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
It sounds like there's an issue in your wiring, then.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #12
brian91accord
CB7tuner Member

Yea, and i did nothing but take the main relay out and put it back in. It doesnt have to be grounded out correct? Same with the Cruise control box? Right now they are just hanging.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Yeah, that's all you need to do. My relay is hanging as well.

Check the wiring at the pump itself, and any wiring that may have been touched during the install of that aftermarket unit.

Also, if you resoldered the new relay, you may have caused issues. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
brian91accord
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Yeah, that's all you need to do. My relay is hanging as well.

Check the wiring at the pump itself, and any wiring that may have been touched during the install of that aftermarket unit.

Also, if you resoldered the new relay, you may have caused issues. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
The wire near the pump was sliced a little bit but there is continuity in it and i taped it back up. I was thinking about getting a new relay for shits and giggles to just try it.

It just doesnt make sense, when i jump 5 & 7 on the relay, the pump turns on.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Then I suppose that narrows it down to the relay, if the wiring from the relay to the pump seems to be working properly. Unless there's an issue with the signal to the relay. That is getting beyond my abilities, though... I have little experience with the electrical system, as my own has never given me any major problems.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #16
brian91accord
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Then I suppose that narrows it down to the relay, if the wiring from the relay to the pump seems to be working properly. Unless there's an issue with the signal to the relay. That is getting beyond my abilities, though... I have little experience with the electrical system, as my own has never given me any major problems.
yea i know a lot but when it comes to the wiring and electrical im lost. I am to the point where i want to part the car out. I have this thing ripped around, hole in the trunk.. wiring hanging.. just getting on my nerves.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #17
pedalpusher90
CB7tuner Member

pedalpusher90 is cool... so far.
when you solder the relay it is very easy to bridge 2 terminals that short can fry the whole chip and relay. I had an issue with mine about a year ago I went to a mechanic to do the fuel pump and a week later my car would not start so that i found the tutorial online to solder the relay and no issues since.
pedalpusher90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #18
brian91accord
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalpusher90 View Post
when you solder the relay it is very easy to bridge 2 terminals that short can fry the whole chip and relay. I had an issue with mine about a year ago I went to a mechanic to do the fuel pump and a week later my car would not start so that i found the tutorial online to solder the relay and no issues since.
yea i did all that. I am running out of ideas so its coming down to a problem with the wiring i think.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #19
Noridetoolow
CB7tuner Member

Noridetoolow is cool... so far.
Go to the junk yard and grab a few more relays, this SOOOOOOO sounds like a bad relay.

I have a Haynes manual for a DA Integra and it has a WONDERFUL step by step process to determine a no starting issue. I actually ended up with a bad ECU after a motor replacement. The Haynes manual for the CB7 does not seem to have this same awesome flowchart so its a bit more difficult for us to diagnose. I still lean towards the main relay, usually its the simplest thing causing the problem.

Bought from Darkcloud

http://wheelflip.com/r/DrAkE
Noridetoolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #20
brian91accord
CB7tuner Member

So now when i changed the relay i have no fuel or spark. This is 2 new relays i have in my hand. My coil is getting power. My pump reads power when i jump 5 & 7. When i don't jump it the pump has no power. I took the ground off of the thermostat and the CEL turns off..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: