Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

cluster issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cluster issues

hey whats up. so, lately i've decided that i wanna fix all the major "quirks" on my car, and being a broke college student, would like to do it all myself. but anyway...

so one of my biggest complaints is that my tach doesn't work. well, it does, but sorta, it's slow to respond 99% of the time, but sometimes it will be alright to respond, but id still end up around 4k rpm when i'm close to rev limiter. if i hold it at a certain rpm, it'll slowly climb to that rpm.

so, i took apart my dash today. Yay. pulled my cluster out, got everything taken apart, measured resistance in the signal wire from the coil to the tach (got about 10k ohms, so i'm just going to overlay a fresh wire for it) and put it all together. but now, my fuel gauge is stuck on full and i'm a little less than half...

is it just a matter of filling up to reset it? or is it something like, get a new gauge?

thanks for the help!

I took my cluster out to replace some bulbs a few months ago. When reassembling I used the long screws that were for the speedo or tach for the temp gauge and I heard a crack. Needless to say the temp gauge no longer works. If this happened to you, you will need a new cluster to fix your bad one, or just as a replacement. Check your local junkyard.

Comment

yea, one of the screws is stripped on the fuel gauge, that's probably exactly what i did, i just didn't notice it crack. you mean fuel gauge, not cluster right?

Comment

Once you disassemble the cluster, all 4 gauges are separate and can be replaced individually.

Your ICM in the distributor can cause your tach issues. One of my CB's is currently doing what yours is with the tach, so I'll be trying to repair that tomorrow.

What you need to look out for if you're swapping parts from your cluster, is that you will need to find a matching cluster.

There are 2 models of clusters. You will find on the bottom of your speedometer face it will say either ND Nippon Denso, or NS. Components are NOT interchangable between those two. You need to swap NS parts with NS and ND with ND. Also, 90-91 clusters are different from 92-93 clusters, as the pig tails and the wire harness plugs (the 3 main green plugs) are different sizes and do not fit.

Comment

Is there a difference between the denso and seiki clusters? Can you swap one with the other?

she is down....but definately not out

Comment

Is the Seiki cluster the one marked NS?

As far as I know and have personally see, there are the Nippon Denso and the "NS" clusters, neither of which are compatible.

So to answer your question, most likely no.

Comment

Yes it is the NS marked cluster. It is hard to find the Denso clusters.

Comment

The internal parts are different between the two. As far as the plugs for the same year models you would think they would plug in. Are the harnesses different?

Comment

All I've been finding lately is Denso clusters, and I'm in need of an NS cluster for the fuel/temp gauges for my coupe.

The plugs and everything are different. I know from experience trying to mix and match parts. Tried to put a 93 SE coupe cluster into a 91 EXR coupe and nothing plugged in or lined up. Then I tried to swap Denso gauges into an NS cluster and they didn't fit.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
                    Once you disassemble the cluster, all 4 gauges are separate and can be replaced individually.

Your ICM in the distributor can cause your tach issues. One of my CB's is currently doing what yours is with the tach, so I'll be trying to repair that tomorrow.

What you need to look out for if you're swapping parts from your cluster, is that you will need to find a matching cluster.

There are 2 models of clusters. You will find on the bottom of your speedometer face it will say either ND Nippon Denso, or NS. Components are NOT interchangable between those two. You need to swap NS parts with NS and ND with ND. Also, 90-91 clusters are different from 92-93 clusters, as the pig tails and the wire harness plugs (the 3 main green plugs) are different sizes and do not fit.
                    To add to this, IIRC they are broke even farther down into DX/LX and EX/SE. Honda was a bunch of pricks when they designed these clusters.
                    Originally posted by Mishakol129
                    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

^ SRSLY?

I have had a hell of a time finding a manual 90-91 NS cluster to get the temp/fuel gauges from.

Yes. They are a buncha pricks. Honda, Y U NO make clusters easy to fix?

I swear it was easier to wire up a CG cluster in my car than it has been to find an NS cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
                        ^ SRSLY?

I have had a hell of a time finding a manual 90-91 NS cluster to get the temp/fuel gauges from.

Yes. They are a buncha pricks. Honda, Y U NO make clusters easy to fix?

I swear it was easier to wire up a CG cluster in my car than it has been to find an NS cluster.
                        NS are pretty much all that's here.
                        Last edited by dj_ender; 09-10-2012, 12:18 AM.
                        Originally posted by Mishakol129
                        Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

i have change the 9293 fuel and temp gauge for a 9091 and same with speed, tech metter alll you have to do is open the cluster up and take it apart. like my cluster is a 92 auto cluster with 9091 tach meter and speed metter and fuel and temp gauges and worked jus fine

Comment

I've tried swapping parts around and absolutely nothing is compatible between the 9091 NS cluster and the 9293 Denso cluster I tried swapping with.

I have photos somewhere of the two of them side by side showing the differences. I'll need to find them.

Comment

man, i must have gotten lucky cause when i went to the junkyard on sunday, i pulled the first cluster that didn't have the prndl lights and the gauges worked perfectly...

Comment

Working...
                              X