Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Oil Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Filters

Howdy Everyone!

This is probably a silly question yet I am always interested to hear which oil filter you all stand by and why?

I currently use the WIX XP oil filter and i change my oil every 3000 miles.
    I like how there is a wire screen that adds more ridgity to the filter media pleats. Also, like that the filtering media is really high quality. Just seems like a really good high quality filter.

I wish Honda was still making the Filtech Oil Filters, the A01 filter. I would totally use that instead of the crappy Honeywell "Fram" A02 filter.

I'd love to hear your input and why you use your particular filter!

For the Accord I only use Honda brand, simply because I figured OEM is usually the safe bet and they aren’t that expensive, especially when the dealership has a special going on them. As for my tundra and rogue I use puralator, or whichever is on sale. Except I don’t use Fram or whatever it’s called.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I always had two filters I like to go to.

The first was, get it straight from the dealer. Honda's supplier built them to the exact specs needed. Can't go wrong.

The other one, and I think it's more marketing, was Mobil/Mobil 1. For some reason, I've always been fond of Mobil, and I think it's 99&#37; due to marketing and media press coverage. This comes down to politics if anything.

However, OEM from the dealer is my first choice.

EDIT : This is just my personal preferences. I'm sure other brands, many aftermarket brands, work just fine as well.
      Last edited by Straight Success; 06-24-2020, 03:56 PM.
      The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I have to agree with the others. I've always relied on Honda for OEM filters and just about everything else. I've also believed it's good practice to stick with one brand of oil but I'm guessing others may differ.

Personally I prefer Castrol GTX 5W-30 and though I've been tempted to switch to synthetic I don't want to risk any new leaks. Even though my SE ONLY has about 131k it's not given me any issues in almost 27 years by maintaining it with consistent changes since new or about every 3 months.

Lately I've wondered about "high mileage" oils but I'm still on the fence if it's really necessary. I still believe if you change it regularly that's enough to remove most contaminates. That way any good quality filter should work. If you go with Honda branded it's added insurance since the quality may be more consistent...
        My Collection:
        93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
        00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
        04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

OEM is the ways to go when it comes to reliability. But in my experience more than the quality of the filter is just keep up with maintenance regularly. WIX is also a good filter.

Comment

I want to like the OEM filter that Honda uses... but i just can’t.
            It’s just such an inferior product when i want to protect my investments.
            I think a lot of people don’t seem to care what is protecting their engine because they’ve never seen inside the OEM. Yes, i know it is the filter “designed” for Honda motors but technically its not. Honda has a new filter, the A02, which is in the middle made by Honeywell who is the makers of Fram Oil Filters. Frams high end filters are actually decent but the cheap basic ones are trash and this is what Honda uses now because they stopped selling the “A01” Filtech Filter in the USA.
            I know this is not a Subaru forum but i worked for Subarh for 8 years and they did the same thing with their filters and have Honeywell “Fram” making their 2 main filters...

Here is a comparison of the filters.
            The left A01 Filtech Filter is no longer in use and the Middle A02 is the one Hond uses now. My two big complaints is the filter media is just cardboard where the A01 is obviously a nicer filter media. Also the sealing around the bypass valve looks like it’ll leak dirty oil cuz it don’t properly seal....

Comment

Also, not here to piss off or argue with people.
              I just like discussing filters. Its something i always found fascinating!
              I wish there was someway i could get more scientific with this and like do testing of the filters somehow kind of like when people smash M&M’s together to see which one is stronger hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by truenomike14 View Post
                I wish there was someway i could get more scientific with this and like do testing of the filters somehow kind of like when people smash M&M’s together to see which one is stronger hahaha
                I personally use K&N Gold filters on all my vehicles.

In regards to oil filter comparison, may be interested in these videos:

Last edited by cloudasc; 06-28-2020, 12:11 PM.
                PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by truenomike14 View Post
                  Hopefully nobody is so passionate about their filter choice that they can get offended!

There really is a noticeable difference between the old and new model. Wow.
                  I need to see what filter is being used on my cars. I take it to a drive through place that I’ve been using for years. I got tired of changing my own oil when I drove 70,000+ miles per year, even changing at 10k with full synthetic (on my 09 Fit). I get quality Shell oil, but I don’t know what filters they use. I may need to start bringing my own filter!

Comment

@cloudasc, great informational videos.
                    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I've noticed on EB there are new 15400 PLM A01A filters available (not NOS) made by Union Sangyo. I've never heard of this company so I did a search and found this:

"Union Sangyo was established in Malaysia for over than 20 years since 1990 and is one of the leading manufacturers of automotive filter in ASEAN region. We are an ISO 9001 certified company and our philosophy is to provide high quality products with competitive price to meet customers requirement."

It would be highly informative to see a cut-away and analysis of this filter especially compared with the previous Filtech model. Anyone have any info about these?

Union Sangyo OEM Oil Filter for Honda & Acura 15400-PLM-A01 12-Pcs:
                      https://ebay.us/TTw8U3
                      My Collection:

Comment

The fact that their company description is off by a decade makes me feel a bit uneasy.

Comment

Wow. Kind of hard to believe how some company's stop caring about quality. I guess im going back to k&n or wix.

Comment

Every filter comparison video I've seen is the same: some guy in his garage cutting apart filters and explaining materials used as if he's an expert. Like in that second video, pointing out the coil spring vs stamped steel, only to say that 'they all filter 99&#37;'. How do we know that certain materials are actually necessary for the purposes they serve, if the end result is purportedly the same? "Obviously a nicer filter media"? What are you basing that off of? Can you explain the value of a metal end cap vs cardboard? Plastic vs metal bypass valves? Has anyone bothered to do oil analysis tests of their own, instead of going off manufacturer claims, using the same engine running on the same oil? Seems to me that that would be the only true test of the filter's performance, before making assumptions based on appearances.

On my nearly 270k mile RSX (bought the car at something like 96k miles), I've maintained almost exclusively the same combination of Honda filters and Mobil 1 high mileage full synthetic. Used oil never looks bad when I change it about every 5k miles (factory service manual calls for 10k mile interval), fuel economy is still holding strong, the engine revs great. I trust Honda's quality control .
                            Last edited by CyborgGT; 06-30-2020, 06:40 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

In case anyone is still "Jonesing" for the Filtech 15400-PLM-A01 filters apparently there is a dealer still selling them... apparently NOS so supplies are limited.

Not sure if it's worth it as each one is $15.75!
                              If you pop for 2 it's $14.96/ea and $14.18/ea for 3 or more

BTW they're not completely heartless as crush washer is included

https://ebay.us/2BJAJN
                              My Collection:

Comment

Working...
                              X