This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cb7_Hulk View Post
    hey ralphie i checked your log file, i dont really see nothing wrong but if im not a professional at reading logs from hijack, i use this analyzer www.hijackthis.de and its usually right all the time.
    another thing i can tell you is you should get a better antivirus software like eset nod32 or kaspersky and you can also install malwarebytes those are some good protection softwares, AVG sucks
    HOPE THIS HELPS
    I agree, the log looks to be fine.

AVG doesn't suck by any stretch and it's FREE. If AVG is giving you grief though, I highly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. Free as well, I became a believer in this program just this last week after it fixed a friend of mine's computer when everything else seemed to miss that last little bit. Seems to be lighter on system resources as well.

Malwarebytes is a great program to have installed as well.
    Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
    D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Originally posted by Masamune View Post

Agreed. I've been in the comp business for over 13 years now. There are A LOT of problems out there. The malware/spyware/BS is annoying. I feel bad for those who know nothing about computers (my family) and click on everything that pops up.

Great write up too! Something to add (hope i didn't miss it), is a new user account in windows can save ya a lot of times also, or help narrow down the troubleshooting. Also comes in handy when the old user account is dead with spyware.

Comment

I highly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials
        I heard of it but never actually tried it, im going to have to give a try
        almost fotgot......... great write up Masamune
        CB7_HULK SMASH!!!

Comment

Comment

I agree, the log looks to be fine.

AVG doesn't suck by any stretch and it's FREE. If AVG is giving you grief though, I highly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. Free as well, I became a believer in this program just this last week after it fixed a friend of mine's computer when everything else seemed to miss that last little bit. Seems to be lighter on system resources as well.

Ya AVG is just fine, but i might install that on my netbook to see if it finds anything.

Now another question.

If i have spybot installed that doesn't take care of malware?

i have having like 3 programs installed for freakin spyware and malware etc if there is one program that can handle it all.

I thought Spybot did but maybe not?

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
              what does the DNA symbol mean? i think it might be some sort of program or software, but i don't know.

later.
              no one knows? lol. later.
              Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                If i have spybot installed that doesn't take care of malware?

i have having like 3 programs installed for freakin spyware and malware etc if there is one program that can handle it all.

I thought Spybot did but maybe not?
                Unfortunately the very nature of malware means that there is no one program that will cover everything. Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, Spybot and others all being installed is nothing to worry about really. More than one AV software, however, will cause problems. The main difference between the two is AV tends to run actively in the background, whereas anti-malware tends to be passive and run only on your command (scheduled scans notwithstanding).

I can't see the symbol on my work computer! :P Off the top of my head, do you have a Sony laptop or desktop?
                Last edited by Masamune; 05-13-2010, 11:05 AM.
                Fix your Computer!

D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
                ┴─┴
                ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

does it come on everytime you turn the computer on? have you right click on it?
                  CB7_HULK SMASH!!!

Comment

I can't see the symbol on my work computer! :P Off the top of my head, do you have a Sony laptop or desktop?
                    no, i have an HP desktop.

Originally posted by Cb7_Hulk View Post
                    does it come on everytime you turn the computer on? have you right click on it?
                    yes, as far as i can tell it comes on every time. sometimes it will randomly appear, and also some times there are 2. i can't even right click on it because it disappears when you run the cursor over it. i've also seen it spin. later.

Comment

yes, as far as i can tell it comes on every time. sometimes it will randomly appear, and also some times there are 2. i can't even right click on it because it disappears when you run the cursor over it. i've also seen it spin. later.
                      Do me a favor and run HJT on your computer. Do "Do a system scan and save a log file" and post the contents of the log file please.
                      Fix your Computer!

┌─┐
                      ┴─┴
                      ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Ok, finally found an answer. Read here if you're interested in the place I found it. Long story short, it seems to be related to video and media files being played. It's an icon that pops up to let you know codecs are being loaded. The link earlier has symptoms exactly the same as yours (almost random, doesn't stay for long on screen, red and blue double helix). All in all, it's harmless. An indicator, nothing more or less.
                        Last edited by Masamune; 05-17-2010, 03:38 PM.
                        Fix your Computer!

┌─┐
                        ┴─┴
                        ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

thanks a lot for that. i asked so many people what that was and no one seemed to know. thanks again man. later.

Comment

here's a weird issue.

I got the av security suite virus and got rid of it sucessfully. I guess it's getting more and more harmful because I have a handfull of other viruses now too. I'm going to run a few scans to see if I can get rid of everything.

The problem is I can't visit windowsupdate.microsoft.com. Each time I try to go there it says it can't be displayed. Other sites (including microsoft.com) load up just fine. (O.O)
                            My Car
                            FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

Originally posted by mchaley View Post
                              here's a weird issue.

I got the av security suite virus and got rid of it sucessfully. I guess it's getting more and more harmful because I have a handfull of other viruses now too. I'm going to run a few scans to see if I can get rid of everything.

The problem is I can't visit windowsupdate.microsoft.com. Each time I try to go there it says it can't be displayed. Other sites (including microsoft.com) load up just fine. (O.O)
                              You have to be using Internet Explorer for the Windows Update site. You cannot use Firefox or other browsers.

Start Internet Explorer.
                              On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
                              Click the General tab.
                              In the Temporary Internet files section, click Delete Cookies.
                              In the Delete Cookies box, click OK.
                              Click Delete Files.
                              Click to select the Delete all offline content check box in the Delete Files dialog box, and then click OK.
                              In the History section, click Clear History.
                              Click Yes, and then click OK.
                              Exit Internet Explorer.

Click Start
                              Choose Run
                              In the Run box, type services.msc
                              Click OK
                              Right-click the Automatic Updates Service
                              Click Stop

After Stopping the Service please use Windows Explorer to rename the folder c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

Open Windows Explorer
                              Navigate to the Windows folder
                              Click on the + next to the Windows folder
                              Navigate to SoftwareDistribution folder
                              Right Click on the SoftwareDistribution folder
                              Select rename from the Menu
                              Rename the folder to SoftwareDistribution.old and click Enter
                              Exit Windows Explorer.

Finally:

Click Start
                              Choose Run
                              In the Run box, type CMD
                              Type: cd /d C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution
                              Type: rd /s DataStore
                              Type: Exit

Now restart the Automatic Update Service

Click Start
                              Choose Run
                              In the Run box, type services.msc
                              Click OK
                              Right-click the Automatic Updates Service
                              Click Start

Starting the service will take a moment.

Reboot and try Windows Update again, using Microsoft Internet Explorer.

-Pulled from Windows BBS
                              Fix your Computer!

┌─┐
                              ┴─┴
                              ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Thanks buddy, great info, well detailed, my PC thanks you, really!

Comment

Working...
                                X