SUSP : rear disc conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by byc_cb7 View Post
    damn ur the man froot loops..do u know how the e-brake line a regular brake line connect
    Glad to have helped.
    And yes I do know how they connect, just that it's hard to explain... they are pretty self explanatory though.

When you are running the e-brake lines for the disc brakes, they'll bolt up under the vehicle in the same spots as the drum brakes do. Just drop the exhaust, unbolt a portion of the heat shield, and have at it!

Once you get back to the trailing arms, that's where they differ a bit, but like I said it is pretty self explanatory. Here are a few shots from my install, not sure if it'll help any:

Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

nice pics
      back at it again

Comment

Wow, those calipers are kinda small aren't they??? Or do rear disc calipers vary in size anyway?

And can you get a set of bigger calipers from the front of another CB and out them on the back for better braking?

i can get a set like that at a junk yard within 10 minutes not including the removal so i am really interested.

Comment

The rear disc calipers are plenty big. Remember, there is virtually no weight in the rear of the car.

You could get some front calipers for the rear, but it would require lots of custom mods, mainly because the rear disc rotor is smaller, and is not vented like the front.
          Gary A.K.A. Carter
          [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Ok, here's my question...
            This is a rare car here in EU so no JYs... I need to shop for my parts.
            If I were to keep my trailing arms and my control arms, can I replace the rear knuckle and bolt the caliper to it?
            I haven't yet had the chance to see if the knuckle is a separate element...
            Here is where I come in with a silly grin hoping I said something sensible ^^

HONDAMENTALISM

Comment

Ok, don't bother - found the answer.
              It's a no... the knuckle is part of a bigger element.
              Anyone know what that element is called? The one the disc+caliper/drum assembly bolts to?

HONDAMENTALISM

Comment

The knuckles are a separate element (they're held onto the trailing arm by two bolts, but you have to remove four bolts to completely remove the knuckle and you have to separate the knuckle from upper control arm/ball joint).
                I kept my trailing and control arms from my 90 Accord with drum brakes, and swapped the knuckle off of a 92 with disc brakes (along with brake lines, rotors, splash shield, calipers, and all that other stuff) and it works perfectly.

#3/4 is the rear knuckle:

Comment

Thanks Frootloops!
                  That helps a whole lot to know someone's done it already!
                  Brings back a little confidence in my attempt
                  You are referring to the part group 3/4, right?

HONDAMENTALISM

Comment

Originally posted by jszuba View Post
                    You are referring to the part group 3/4, right?
                    Correct.

My exact procedure was:
                    1. Separate the knuckles from my trailing arms from my drum brake setup.
                    2. Unbolt the two bolts (#45 in the picture) that holds the upper control arms (#33/35 in the picture) from the car.
                    3. Separate the upper control arms from the knuckles.
                    4. Install the upper control arms on the knuckles from the Accord with rear disc brakes.
                    5. Install the disc brake knuckle onto my car and bolt the upper control arm back onto the car.

Probably the hardest part of the whole thing was removing half of the exhaust and heat shield to install the parking/emergency brake lines for the disc brakes.

Comment

That's exactly how I want to do it now that I know a bit more...

All that's left is to either find a donor car (hahaha good luck to myself! The only CB i EVER saw at a JY was a 2.0L carb with drums)
                      or buy the parts one by one as budget allows ;]

Again Frootloops, your help greatly appreciated!

HONDAMENTALISM

Comment

Originally posted by jszuba View Post
                        That's exactly how I want to do it now that I know a bit more...

All that's left is to either find a donor car (hahaha good luck to myself! The only CB i EVER saw at a JY was a 2.0L carb with drums)
                        or buy the parts one by one as budget allows ;]

Again Frootloops, your help greatly appreciated!
                        As always, glad to help!

Comment

Can someone help me out. I just swap my drums for disk yesterday and I don't remember how the e-brake line was routed. Can someone take a quick pic of there e-brake line with everything bolted up. I don't know if the line goes over or under the sway and control arms. Thanks alot in advance.
                          cb007
                          first cb wit full LED taillight retrofit

Comment

Bumby Bumb Bumb!
                            cb007
                            first cb wit full LED taillight retrofit

Comment

just did this yesterday

everthing went smooove...much much better braking too

Comment

Will these parts work?

I found a rear suspension set-up from an 97-99 Acura CL. Has control arms, brake rotors, e-brake cables, etc. Will this set-up work on our cars? Thanks a lot for the help.

Comment

Working...
                                X