Steering wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheels?

Looking for a decent wheel. I dont want one of those tiny clown car wheels, I also would rather stay away from the cheap dangerous ebay stuff. What is a decent company that isnt all that expensive? What are some of the wheels you guys are using?
    For the love of god, STOP putting H.I.D's in stock housings!!! Projectors ONLY!!!

I personally like the 90-91 Honda Prelude SI steering wheel. $20 at a junkyard, and there should have been the typical "H" center cap but that was taken. Not a perfect bolt on solution but not in any way difficult to put on.

Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Originally posted by 802cb7 View Post
      Looking for a decent wheel. I dont want one of those tiny clown car wheels, I also would rather stay away from the cheap dangerous ebay stuff. What is a decent company that isnt all that expensive? What are some of the wheels you guys are using?
      Id like to eventually get a Nardi Leader wheel though not cheap.

Heres a thread on swaps with pics...
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=130820

I thought there was another thread like that but im having trouble finding it

Comment

I do like that. If I ever find one in the yard I'll grab one. But we never get anything good in my area in the yards. Simple fact is I guess I dont really "Need" a race wheel. But I want one.
        For the love of god, STOP putting H.I.D's in stock housings!!! Projectors ONLY!!!

Comment

Or you could do something like this for free, and to make it feel authentic wear a helmet.

Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

I bought a wood wheel from mine. Its real wood, with laquer over it. I bought it from japan and i think it was like $100 used

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
              Or you could do something like this for free, and to make it feel authentic wear a helmet.

That doesn't look safe at all... I guess that's why you said wear a helmet? :P
              For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Comment

Originally posted by Theos92VR4 View Post
                I bought a wood wheel from mine. Its real wood, with laquer over it. I bought it from japan and i think it was like $100 used
                What's with the recent infatuation with wood wheels? It seems to be a massive trend. Have you always wanted one?
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                  What's with the recent infatuation with wood wheels? It seems to be a massive trend. Have you always wanted one?
                  I had one in my 76 jaguar xj6.. absolutely loved the feel and have always wanted another. I like them because the grip is not too thick, and your hand warms them up pretty quickly in the winter

Comment

btw does anyone know where the srs computer is for 92-93 owners? i wanna pull the air bag computer when I put my wheel on, i dont want the stupid light on all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                      I want people to think my steering wheel is cool...

In all seriousness, I have a '91 Lude wheel.

Stock

Lude

But don't pay $50 or $100 for one. You can find them in JY's for $15 with the clock spring.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                        I want people to think my steering wheel is cool...

In all seriousness, I have a '91 Lude wheel.

Stock

Lude

But don't pay $50 or $100 for one. You can find them in JY's for $15 with the clock spring.
                        Yeah, pretty much what I think I'm going to go with. Problem is We have no ludes in any yard here in VT. I wouldnt mind getting one on line or whatever, but I want it to be mint.

Comment

you can still find good deals on used, good quality, name brand steering wheels if you are okay with getting something slightly damaged (small scratches, slightly worn leather, etc.) or is a different style than what is the most popular at the moment. A couple of years ago, I got an old school Personal steering wheel (that turned out to be originally for a boat) for about $30 shipped.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                          Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                          'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                          Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

On a 92/93 I have never seen anyone do it right. As far as I know I'm the only person to ever get it to where everything works as it should with no exceptions.

You will also want to read on how to properly remove the air bag as there is a red plug you need. For safety reasons of course.

I hate to bomb the hell out of this thread with pics and info but I'm going to anyways.

The stalks on a 92/93 are too close to the steering wheel with the Lude wheel. They have more of an angle than 90/91. The wiper stalk from a 90/91 wont fit a 92/93 as it wont plug in. So, in order to get the 90/91 wiper stalk to plug in you need a 90/91 column. But the 90/91 column is too short. So you must cut the shaft, extend it to the proper length (IIRC it was 4-1/4"). So what you need is a whole steering column with stalks and covers from a 90/91. But then you are faced with another obstacle. The ignition. Long story short, you need to take your lock cylinder out of your old ignition and put it in your 90/91 lock assembly so your key will work. Then, you will notice when you try to install the ignition switch from your 92/93 on the 90/91 lock assembly the wires are twisted in an unnatural position, face the driver instead of facing down the column as they should be. So you need to use a 90/91 ignition switch as well. But then you have to depin it and repin it properly. IIRC I used the 92/93 plug that plugs into the fuse box on the 90/91 ignition switch.

If you try to shim the steering wheel out enough with 92/93 wiper stalks (which would mean you wouldn't have to go through any of the above) then you cannot use the clock spring, which means no horn. And if properly shimmed you also lose the turn signal cancel. With no clock spring it makes the turn signal cancel all screwy anyways.

Turn signal stalk angles. 90/91 is on top and has yellow salvage markings.

90/91 wiper stalk and 92/93 wiper stalk vs 92/93 wiring harness.

Clearly works. 92/93 wiper stalk into 92/93

Clearly doesn't work. 90/91 wiper stalk into 92/93.

Steering column out.

90/91 steering column bolted into 92/93 car. Too short. Doesn't reach.

Final product.

Comment

You don't need to do all that to change the wiper and headlight angles. All you need to do is take apart the switches and change the stalk arm itself.

Even with 90-91 column the prelude wheel sits to close to switches and has fitment issues with the column cover. The only proper way to install one is to cut the spline out and reweld so the wheel sits further out.
                              Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

Working...
                              X