spacer

intake clean up

1mm port

last of the parts to clear out

new tool

Comment

Airbox

Dug this up while doing some cleaning.
        Thrown down for over 2 years. I've got to use it. The current Spectre has been whistling for a while

Distributor seals came in

This mess is me doing the inner seal, and trying to remember where everything goes

Distributor always leaked, but it was getting worse, eating up the wires and hose

The seal was so bad it just came off with the shaft, so it definitely wasn't doing anything

I got some 235/40/17's as backup for the chewed up tires

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=3242212

so I put about 500 miles on the tires since alignment without camber kit, and I don't see any wear on the tires yet. The other set were chewed up in less than 200 miles when the toe was out

I did the JDM_Inspired brake thing
        before:

after:

I was going to do the intake swap this weekend, but I'm going to wait and see what this hurricane does first. Plus I'm still waiting on injector seals and plenum gasket

Comment

Distributor seals

Comment

Cruise control delete

Strut bar delete and stock airbox

I still have a serious idle surge, up to 2k rpm at times, raising the gas pedal with my foot everytime I come to a stop works, but is annoying. Plugging up the cruise control port didn't help. I tightened the fitv (Not a fan of the plunger technology) I suspected the spectre filter was letting gunk into the intake and causing the throttle body to stick, but the stock box didn't fix it. Maybe my throttle cable is loose some. It's got to be boost valve or manifold gaskets themselves. Or something to do with coolant.

It's been a phantom surge that comes and goes since I bought th ecar, and the last time I changed some coolant hoses and bled the coolant it went away. Still the last time it surged like this, the top of the radiator exploded soon after.

Hoping the intake manifold swap will fix it once and for all.

And the condenser fan stays on once the key is in the ON position, and the cooling fan doesn't cut on (but I think the soldering might have broken from when I re-wired the coolant temp. sensor couple years back). No idea why the condenser fan stays on all the time though

Comment

lol

Idle surge fixed.
              I checked the FITv again and realized I tightened it all the way down, so backed that off 1/4 turn. Then I remembered messing with the idle screw one time when I had a little surge. So I tightened that all the way, then backed it off 1/4 turn. Then tightened my throttle cable, but that made it rev like crazy, so I actually loosened it a couple teeth from where it was originally. Now I have perfect idle (800-900) no surge, not even a little. Somewhere between those 3 things it fixed it.

This probably the best the car has run since I got it, or at least in a long time. Just one of those things, like when the cooling fan doesn't work, the condenser fan now stays on, so no overheating

Couple other things I noticed. My throttle wheel has the extension for automatics on it. Hmm. Then it dawned on me that there are junkyard writings on the transmission. Always been there but I paid it no mind. The cooling fan has jy markings, that's cool. The condenser fan I got from fleetwood, so that's lifetime warranty. But now I'm wondering if it was 5speed swapped (doubt it), ot the throttlebody has been changed before, as well as the transmission.

With it running so good, I almost feel guilty but I'm glad because worst case scenario, I have a fully functional IM to swap back in if anything goes awry.
              Gonna test that cooling fan out when I get a chance.
              Last edited by DCB7; 09-03-2015, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Now I know this car has a gremlin in it. The cooling fan plug below the reservoir bottle was plugged out! how the hell. so I jumped the fan switch by the thermostat and both fans came on. So the cooling fan is good, but Im sure the other one shouldn't come on without the AC. I plugged it out for now, and the cooling fan is on all the time now.

All the wires and plugs around the distributor are full of oil, gonna clean them out. Looking for a degreaser safe to use on electrical components

Comment

WOW!

You are putting a lot of time and effort to the car.
                  Nice.

"Contact cleaner" come to my mind for cleaning electrical components.

If a lot of cleaning is called for, I may use Mineral Sprit to clean. if it was my car. It does not leave corrosive residue like regular de-greaser and less flammable than contact cleaner.
                  A&P-IA

Comment

Hey, how have you been?
                    Can you believe I'm messing with the cooling fan wiring again. That switch you gave me is full of oil. I put the old distributor back in and it drenched everything.

I got some of this: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/c...5103/7070074-P

I didn't get the Lectra Motive because of the residue, and it said 'keep off plastic'
                    I also have mineral spirits I can use Along with some simple green for the rest.
                    Thanks

I also have a lot of corrosion around the thermostat housing, and the hose clamps in that area. I maybe wrong, but I think the engine needs to be grounded better.

Any idea why the condenser fan (and the cooling fan) come on and stay on while the key is in the ON position? Has that to do with the same wiring from the distributor?

Comment

Looking at the diagram, for both fans to stay on, A/C pressure switch, A/C thermostat switch, A/C switch and blower fan switch to be "on".

Turn off the A/C switch and see if fans stops. If they stay on, I suspect home made wire(s) rigged to have them on.

Good luck
                      A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post

Looking at the diagram, for both fans to stay on, A/C pressure switch, A/C thermostat switch, A/C switch and blower fan switch to be "on".

Turn off the A/C switch and see if fans stops. If they stay on, I suspect home made wire(s) rigged to have them on.

Good luck
                        Thanks man
                        thanks for that diagram. Some interesting things I see there, like no matter how busted my temperature switches are, or how much oil is in them, none are connected to the condenser fan. The soonest I see the circuits meet is at that cooling fan timer. So I looked up cooling fan timer, and found this thread:
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=3142484

posts 17 and 20 show it, and it fixed the op's problem of fans staying on, though his stayed on after the car was turned off. I'm glad mine doesn't do that.

I'm going to try to get one asap

Comment

Maybe your cooling fan switch is closed all the time or wires on the switch is chafed to one another.

I think the fan switch is on the thermostat housing.

Unplug the cannon plug to that switch when the engine is cold and see if it stops the fans. If the fans were stopped, you know that switch is faulty.
                          A&P-IA

Comment

Ok I'll try that when the car cools down. I think they did cut off when I unplugged it, then both came on when I jumped the switch. I cleaned the oil out best as I could but no change.

I did get a couple things from the jy - coolant temp. sensor (looks newish), a fan relay, and a cooling fan timer

and some bb6 seats

I didn't get the switch itself though

Comment

Originally posted by DCB7 View Post

I did the JDM_Inspired brake thing
                              before:

after:

Looks good
                              Mine is still holding up!

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

thanks again. Mine still looks the same since I did it, and its been raining on and off since.

It doesn't look as clean as yours, but I know it was my prep work. I did it in a parking lot while waiting on someone to come out. I sanded it with some 800 by hand, and wiped it off with some hand cleaner. And sprayed it right there.

Imagine I almost sprayed it that silver that's on the calipers. I could use this for a few other things too

Comment

Working...
                                X