Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud Engine Tick Matching RPMs

Hi all,

I recently picked up my replacement for the wrecked accord. The body is nice and straight. The interior is clean and nearly flawless(now), but I notcied theres a weird loud tic coming from the bay. It can be clearly heard from the cabin. it somewhat matches the RPMs. It actually matches the almost perfectly.

This could be something as simple as a valve adjustment. Im not sure as I havent taken the VC off yet.. I barely noticed the noise. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Gabe
    Wrecked, Revived, and still Rollin'

Check out my MRT!

Originally posted by deevergote
    The most unique "modification" these days is a full restoration. Take a 20+ year old Honda and make it look brand new... and it'll be more impressive than the guy with the stock-block turbo and plastidipped steelies.

Probably the valves but I would not rule out the possibility of it being a transmission shaft bearing.
    Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

yep, this could be anything. Pop the hood and narrow down where the tick is coming from. Bottom, top, left, right? Cold be fixable, could be bad.

best of luck

Comment

is it at the driver side or pass. it could be belt slap or valve tick
        NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
        DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

definitely closer to the passenger side. It quiets down when Im stopped and idling, but when I throw it in gear and drive, It gets louder. Which leads me to believe that its transmission related. Maybe the shaft bearing as XCRN mentioned.

Just an FYI, I have a spare tranny with a fresh clutch and LWFW to go with it.
          Wrecked, Revived, and still Rollin'

Check out my MRT!

Originally posted by deevergote
          The most unique "modification" these days is a full restoration. Take a 20+ year old Honda and make it look brand new... and it'll be more impressive than the guy with the stock-block turbo and plastidipped steelies.

Comment

put the front on stands and let it idle in gear, then you can prod around and pinpoint things easily. ever heard of that screwdriver trick, youre basically using it as a poor man's stethoscope, put it where you think the sounds coming from and youll be able to feel it, or you can put your ear to it.

between scotty kilmer and eric the car guy you learn a lot of tricks lol.

Comment

Originally posted by High5er View Post
              definitely closer to the passenger side. It quiets down when Im stopped and idling, but when I throw it in gear and drive, It gets louder. Which leads me to believe that its transmission related. Maybe the shaft bearing as XCRN mentioned.

Just an FYI, I have a spare tranny with a fresh clutch and LWFW to go with it.
              The easiest way to determine if its an input shaft bearing, the noise should happen if you are in neutral and in idle. When you step on the clutch it should stop.
              Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

I'd check the injectors. These can be noisy and sound just like valves.

I would also do a valve adjustment. Whose to say someone didn't attempt to do it and did it wrong.
                1991 Honda Accord 2DR LX 180,000 Miles RIP

Comment

My first accord needed a valve adjustment. It helped with the loud ticking, but like the other guys said, it could be anything. I would think the cheapest place to start though would be a valve adjustment (correct me if I'm wrong). All I bought was a feeler gauge when I did my adjustment.
                  For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Comment

Working...
                  X