Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Installing hood pins on a CF hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing hood pins on a CF hood

Greetings,

I am looking at getting a CF hood for my drag build, but manufacturers also recommend getting hood pins as an extra safety precaution with these light weight hoods. Do you really have to drill holes through the hoods to install the pins? Where do the pins attach to the car underneath the hood? Would you guys recommend a certain hood pin brand, or are they really all the same?

Thanks for the help, all is appreciated.
    Last edited by af_1132; 02-13-2014, 03:45 AM. Reason: Replaced a word that was used incorrectly on accident. Replace 'trunk' in the title with 'hood'.
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

http://www.q-latch.com/

Most pins do require a hole in the hood. Most tie into the frame or support somehow.
    "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

why are you putting hood pins in your trunk?

am I misreading this, hmmm?
      MadLab Racing
      Southern Maryland

Comment

yeah...I'm a bit confused on this one.... there is no need to put pins in the trunk, carbon fiber or not. Now if it is some cheap repo that doesn't have the proper trunk latch mechanism. Then you may nee to lock it down somehow. Post some pictures of the trunk that you are looking to install.
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Darn it, I knew I wrote that wrong! Sorry, I meant "hood", not "trunk", of course. No need to worry about the trunk opening at the far end of the quarter mile.

I'm going with either the VIS Racing or TCSportline hood, and I actually am going to get a CF trunk from Carbon Creations. No pins necessary on the latter.
          Last edited by af_1132; 02-13-2014, 02:56 AM.

MRT
          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

yes, it is always a good idea to use hood pins. I've seen too many instances of an aftermarket hood failing. I've even seen once where the top layer delaminated from the inner web piece that held the latch and the mounting points. Apparently the top hood-shaped layers of carbon fiber just flew off on the highway while the webbing stayed in place. He left it like that and to be honest, it looked pretty cool.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
            Originally posted by Stephen Fry
            'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
            Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
              yes, it is always a good idea to use hood pins. I've seen too many instances of an aftermarket hood failing. I've even seen once where the top layer delaminated from the inner web piece that held the latch and the mounting points. Apparently the top hood-shaped layers of carbon fiber just flew off on the highway while the webbing stayed in place. He left it like that and to be honest, it looked pretty cool.
              Thank you for that. I'm definitely going to get some. I'm not sure I will like the delaminated look .
              What kind of tool will I need to machine the necessary holes in the hood, and do different brands have different attachment places under the hood?

Thank you for the help.

MRT
              Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Originally posted by drew12000 View Post
                http://www.q-latch.com/

Most pins do require a hole in the hood. Most tie into the frame or support somehow.
                Wow, I checked out that link, and I like those Quick Latch products! The Twist Lock ones seem really functional.
                It's pretty funny, but if you go to the picture gallery, you'll see a ton of pictures of the trunk of a drag mustang with five latches installed on his trunk! I can't imagine how fast you must be dragging to need five on your trunk.

MRT
                Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

The reason that mustang has them on the trunk lid is because it is a lift off lid. It does not have any hinges. Hinges add weight...lol

As far as your hood goes, glad we got that sorted out... I'm a fan of the AeroCatch hood latches. http://www.aerocatch.com/ They may be a bit pricey but I like the fact that they come with lock and key. Great idea if you need to lock everything up to keep those pesky track marshals and tech inspection guys away from your build when your not around.......lol
                  Last edited by GhostAccord; 02-13-2014, 11:22 AM.
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

GhostAccord, I like how those hood latches have a key, but it seems as though you have to cut fairly large holes in the hood of a particular shape to fit those things. I'm not sure I have access to the right tools. Have you installed these?

MRT
                    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

I haven't installed them yet. However, I know that I will be cutting the holes with a bi-metal hole saw drill bit and a jig saw with a metal blade.
                      MR Thread
                      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

If your hood stock, fiberglass, or CF?

MRT
                        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

It's an OEM metal hood.
                          MR Thread
                          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Hood pins are super important when it comes to cf aftermarket hoods.. a friend of mine lost his cf hood on his mazda3 because of the wind force.. it was a expensive hit.. as the hood flew backwards and hit another car's windshield.

Comment

I have installed the aerocatch hood pins.
                              Took me 2 hours just to figure out a nice secure place to put the pins.
                              It took me roughly 3 hours to cut each hole, as I wanted correct fitment.

They come with a paper layout in the box, but getting them lined up on your hood is up to you.

I used, angle grinder with cutting wheel, dremel, and the dremel stone grinding bits.

Then came the part of where I wanted the pins.
                              I had to weld an extra reinforcement, for my purpose under the front bar.

here are a few pics:

I hit the hood a little, but I plan on rerusting it.
                              I am all about the rat rod kinda, who cares about the body look!
                              MadLab Racing
                              Southern Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X