Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Whats The Best Tire Brand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats The Best Tire Brand?

Hey. i am going to be getting new tires soon. Which tire's are best for our CB's? i have stock wheels on right now. thx's

There really is no "best" brand. Much of that is just personal preference.
    Good brands are:
    Dunlop (my personal favorite)
    BF Goodrich
    Goodyear
    Pirelli
    Nitto
    Kumho (I keep getting them and hating them...)
    Sumitomo (very good)
    General
    Toyo
    Bridgestone
    Firestone
    Fuzion
    Yokohama/Advan
    Continental (very good)
    Kelly
    etc... the list goes on and on.

Stay away from super cheap crap like:
    Nankang
    Wanli
    Ling Long

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      Ling Long
      Did you just make that up?

I currently have Kumho or Sumitomo. Not sure which.
      MRT
      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
      Originally posted by Tippey764
      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
      Originally posted by deevergote
      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Usually the best will cost you more... and dont forget each brand got their own line of good to bad tires.
        Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

Originally posted by HATCHing View Post
          Usually the best will cost you more... and dont forget each brand got their own line of good to bad tires.
          true that

Comment

Also, if you haven't already, read up on tires.
            Summer, winter, and all season are your options.

Each type has different grades and ratings. I have T rated all season.
            T = Sustained maximum speed of 118 mph.

Chart:
            L 75 mph 120 km/h Off-Road & Light Truck Tires
            M 81 mph 130 km/h
            N 87 mph 140km/h Temporary Spare Tires
            P 93 mph 150 km/h
            Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires
            R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires
            S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
            T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
            U 124 mph 200 km/h
            H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes
            V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars
            W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars
            Y 186 mph 300 km/h Exotic Sports Cars
            Z is greater than 149 mph
            MRT
            37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
            30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
            27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
            Originally posted by Tippey764
            I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
            sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffMisiak View Post
              Did you just make that up?

I currently have Kumho or Sumitomo. Not sure which.
              No sir... The full company name is Shandong Linglong, but they sell their tires under the Linglong name. Car and Driver included one of their tires in a test with a bunch of the good brands I listed... the Linglongs were so terrible that it was laughable.

Originally posted by HATCHing View Post
              Even so, the "best" tire depends on what you need it for.
              Personally, in my work care (where I drive 1500 miles a week), I want long life, decent all-season all-weather traction, good gas mileage, and an affordable price. Some nice sticky summer sport tires would be fun, but I'd kill them in 2 months, and they'd kill my gas mileage due to the increased rolling resistance.

If you're not racing your car, then any quality maker's low-line all-season tire will probably be fine. I've always loved my Dunlops. I just always seem to manage to stick nails in them... My Kumhos that I have now are crap, but they get the job done. I like them better than the Yokohama S.Drives that I had previously.

Comment

I'm a big fan of fuzion. Always got my money out of them no matter how hard I drove my car. And as for the ling long wow might try those out sometime. Just so I can say I have some ling longs LOL.

Comment

Those Linglongs seem so bad that I wouldn't feel safe riding on them! (and I was recently riding on a fully bald Falken Ziex 512 that has been sitting in my basement since 2005...)

I always hated Fuzion's advertising... like, the brand was designed to cater to ricers.
                  Like, they don't focus on the performance, but the "cool" factor. Of course, I've heard nothing but good stuff about them. Granted, Fuzion is a Bridgestone/Firestone brand, so they're quality. They're Bridgestone/Firestone's "Scion".

Comment

My gf's civic has Fuzion tires... either the HRi or VRi... I really don't like them for one main reason.. NOISY.... wicked NOISY.. the snow tires we had on there this past winter were MUCH quieter....

anywho... My tires suggestion is Micheline Pilot Exalto A/S.. IMO best over all all-season tire out there! They are quiet, have a nice ride, good in the rain and light snow, and great in the dry! Awesome tread-wear too. Downside: pricy. You gotta pay to play. All 3 accords in our driveway have them as well as the Fit.

Check out tirerack.com for reviews
                    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

I have Toyo Proxes R28s as well as their predecessors the Proxes FZ4s, I love them. They seem to grip very well in the turns. Once I upgrade the suspension it will be interesting to see how much harder I can push them. I just wish I had gotten them in a bigger size. They do cost about 135 a tire though.
                      Last edited by Joey GT-R; 05-11-2011, 11:17 PM.
                      '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

I have 2 undersized FZ4s on my Fit right now. They're from 2006, though. They were on my friend's car, and he bent one of the wheels. Stored them in my basement. I just broke one of the wheels on my Fit, so I borrowed two of the wheels in my basement.

I'm sure it's due to the age and not the quality of the tire... but man... these things break loose CONSTANTLY with just 117hp! I also managed to pull off a 4 wheel drift yesterday... and I wasn't trying to.

Comment

For street tires I have always liked Kuhmo and BFG. For road racing Toyo, Kumho, Falken. I had Sumitomos and absolutely hated them worst tire IMO. I have a set of Firestones on my wifes 01 Accord and I am pleased with the wear, grip and noise level.

Comment

Nexen tires are awesome also. We have horrible roads here in sc and I never had a problem with any tire .

Comment

Nexen is a brand that I've always been wary of... they don't seem like quality to me. I have nothing to base that on, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X