doing a bit of cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doing a bit of cleaning

Well I had some downtime I could work on cleaning up my engine bay since I'm not daily driving my Honda at the moment, so I decided to start with my dirty ass intake plenum and manifold.

The plenum and throttle body:

The manifold:

The runners in the last pic still look dirty and they were when I took it but they've since been thoroughly cleaned. I'll get more pics of it installed on the car when I get it back together. Thanks for looking!
    We are all ricers, it just depends what flavor rice you are.

Minitrucker by heart, CB7tuner by coincidence.

My For Sale Thread
    Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Nice man!!!!!! I'll have to do this soon to clean out my ports.

How long and difficult was it? What did you use to clean her up with the engine degreaser?

Comment

You did a good job but i would have taken this as an opportunity to upgrade to an f22a6/h23a1 intake manifold.

Comment

Originally posted by Frostcb724 View Post
        Nice man!!!!!! I'll have to do this soon to clean out my ports.

How long and difficult was it? What did you use to clean her up with the engine degreaser?
        Taking the manifold out wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be (seeing as its a 20 year old car and it's probably never been off since factory). Haynes manual was very useful. The engine degreaser helped loosen the oil/sludge but a majority of it I had to scrub with a wire brush. The last pic was taken before I really got in there with the brush and cleaned the ports out but it came out really clean (sorry didn't get a picture). Just take your time with it and it'll come clean.

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
        You did a good job but i would have taken this as an opportunity to upgrade to an f22a6/h23a1 intake manifold.
        Thanks. I've heard of using the h23 but never the a6. I can never find a h23 around here at my local pull-a-part and a6's are hard to come by. Plus I wasn't sure about how all that would work with the egr valve and everything that's bolted to the manifold. Is it basically plug and play or do you have to have different egr valves/intake plenum/ and whatnot?

My For Sale Thread
        Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Comment

Wow that turned out great! And love your sig....

you and I are kindred spirits! lol I live and breath minitrucks and have for years!

Bought from Darkcloud

http://wheelflip.com/r/DrAkE

Comment

Originally posted by dbales View Post
            Taking the manifold out wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be (seeing as its a 20 year old car and it's probably never been off since factory). Haynes manual was very useful. The engine degreaser helped loosen the oil/sludge but a majority of it I had to scrub with a wire brush. The last pic was taken before I really got in there with the brush and cleaned the ports out but it came out really clean (sorry didn't get a picture). Just take your time with it and it'll come clean.

Thanks. I've heard of using the h23 but never the a6. I can never find a h23 around here at my local pull-a-part and a6's are hard to come by. Plus I wasn't sure about how all that would work with the egr valve and everything that's bolted to the manifold. Is it basically plug and play or do you have to have different egr valves/intake plenum/ and whatnot?
            Egr valve is the same, yes it is plug and play however you would need the a6 ecu to control the extra butterflies valves and proper wiring of the IAB black box to open up the butterflies at a certain pm.

Intake plenum is completely different between f22a1 vs. a6 and h23 however you can put the plenum of an a6 on a h23 runner, and plenum of a h22 on a6 or h23 runner as well. However the runners of the h22 will not fit the f22a1.

Coolant lines will just need to be looped around if you go the h23, a6 route.

There's guides for it. Love the intake cleaning! Superb job.

Comment

Originally posted by Noridetoolow View Post
              Wow that turned out great! And love your sig....

you and I are kindred spirits! lol I live and breath minitrucks and have for years!
              Haha yeah I had an Isuzu P'up and I came across the accord through my mom. It had front end damage when I got it and I was going to fix the accord to daily it so I could start bagging my truck, but then I rear-ended someone and totaled the P'up. I love the accord but I can't wait to get another minitruck.

Originally posted by ikayto View Post
              Egr valve is the same, yes it is plug and play however you would need the a6 ecu to control the extra butterflies valves and proper wiring of the IAB black box to open up the butterflies at a certain pm.

Intake plenum is completely different between f22a1 vs. a6 and h23 however you can put the plenum of an a6 on a h23 runner, and plenum of a h22 on a6 or h23 runner as well. However the runners of the h22 will not fit the f22a1.

Coolant lines will just need to be looped around if you go the h23, a6 route.

There's guides for it. Love the intake cleaning! Superb job.
              So all I would need to do the a6 conversion is the manifold, plenum and ecu? Does the a6 ecu plug right in, no modification?
              Last edited by dbales; 07-10-2011, 02:31 PM.

My For Sale Thread
              Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Comment

nice. looks like you might have even used some metal polish.

are you going to pull out the brass plugs and clean the egr ports also? later.
                Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
                  nice. looks like you might have even used some metal polish.

are you going to pull out the brass plugs and clean the egr ports also? later.
                  Good eye (I assume you're talking about the plenum), but I didn't use any polish. I did run a wire wheel lightly over it. I only did the plenum because the manifold had too many nooks and crannies that I couldn't get into with it.

i feel dumb for asking this but, where exactly are the brass plugs? I did clean out the egr ports pretty good. The hole for the egr on the flange was caked up with dried up oil and I took a dremel with a small grinder wheel and cleaned that out. The hole was almost closed up.

My For Sale Thread
                  Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Comment

Originally posted by dbales View Post
                    i feel dumb for asking this but, where exactly are the brass plugs?
                    this link should clear everything up.
                    http://home.comcast.net/~em-engineering/T2T013.pdf
                    later.
                    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Working...
                    X