Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Using a jack and jack stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a jack and jack stands

I want to do some repairs and maintenance on the exhaust, oil pan, and suspension. I'm having trouble with jacking it up and using the jack stands. I know that there are the four jack points by the wheels and the three in the front. What I have been trying to figure out is if I'm using the jack points for the jack, how do I get the jack stand under that jack point. I'm also wondering if there is another place on the car I can jack it up, so I can place the jack stand on the jack point.

before i was lowered, i would put the jack right under the front crossmember. (big metal bar that runs the width of the car under the radiator) for the back i would do the same thing. put the jack on the middle of the subframe.

Originally posted by scudweiser
    i farted while i was getting head once, i was drunk.

Comment

I just kind of made it work. lol my floor jack was on the smaller side and I could get the jack stands in there beside it and lower the car down on to them. I think Honda is at fault here for not widening those jack points just a little, but oh well.

MRT---> http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200945

Comment

Originally posted by 1993 CB7 LX View Post
        before i was lowered, i would put the jack right under the front crossmember. (big metal bar that runs the width of the car under the radiator) for the back i would do the same thing. put the jack on the middle of the subframe.
        That's usually where I go then you can put the stands at the actual jacking points.

Comment

I'm lowered myself and I cannot get a jack under my car either. Koni yellows and Neuspeed race.

What I do is place two boards on my garage floor, then drive over them, one under each front tire. Then I can get my jack under it.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I have also seen people use ramps, are those worth the money? Are they safe, reliable, easy to use?

Comment

I use ramps w/o any issue, but sometimes it is still too low for me to do work under my car. Any lowered car will have problems with a standard jack and for that reason I purchased a racing low-profile jack from Harbor Freight.
              MRT: http://www.cd5tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5748

Comment

I own some ramps that my neighbor gave me, but I haven't used them yet. I'm afraid I'll miss one and drive off! Quality ramps are safe, though, as long as you're careful.

Jacking from the front crossmember and then placing the stands is the most common way.
                I've also jacked the car up as high as I could by the rear jack point, then placed a jack stand under the lifted front point. The jack has to be able to go high enough to get the first stand under (the second one is easier)

Comment

Originally posted by 2winRB25 View Post
                  I'm lowered myself and I cannot get a jack under my car either. Koni yellows and Neuspeed race.

What I do is place two boards on my garage floor, then drive over them, one under each front tire. Then I can get my jack under it.
                  I forgot to add that once the boards are under the front tires I put the jack on the front cross member where the hook is placing the hook in the center of the jack pedestal and then jacking the car up. After that Im able put the jack stands under the front lift point tabs.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    I own some ramps that my neighbor gave me, but I haven't used them yet. I'm afraid I'll miss one and drive off! Quality ramps are safe, though, as long as you're careful.

Jacking from the front crossmember and then placing the stands is the most common way.
                    I've also jacked the car up as high as I could by the rear jack point, then placed a jack stand under the lifted front point. The jack has to be able to go high enough to get the first stand under (the second one is easier)
                    I almost did that the other day. Scary stuff

Originally posted by scudweiser
                    i farted while i was getting head once, i was drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

Originally posted by 1993 CB7 LX View Post
                      I almost did that the other day. Scary stuff
                      Reminds me of this.

Comment

Originally posted by djkurious View Post
                        I use ramps w/o any issue, but sometimes it is still too low for me to do work under my car. Any lowered car will have problems with a standard jack and for that reason I purchased a racing low-profile jack from Harbor Freight.
                        Low profile aluminum jacks are the way to go if you are lowered. They are not the most durable but as long as you are not using it all the time and just for the lowered car they are well worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by djkurious View Post
                          Originally posted by DemoDerby112 View Post
                          Low profile aluminum jacks are the way to go if you are lowered. They are not the most durable but as long as you are not using it all the time and just for the lowered car they are well worth the money.
                          http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...html-7814.html
                          http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

So i tried using the front crossmember where the hook is, but my jack can only go up 13in and that wasn't high enough to get the jack stands under. I see there are jacks for SUVs and trucks that go up to 20in. Would it be worth the money to get one of those and make it a lot easier? It seems like they just add an extension adapter onto the jack plate.

Comment

Jack up the floor jack with 2x6s, cement plates or something like that to gain some height.
                              It gets hairy but gets the job done.
                              A&P-IA

Comment

Working...
                              X