H311RA151N : 1949 Chevrolet Firetruck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H311RA151N : 1949 Chevrolet Firetruck

So I'm doing a thing. A coworker had this '49 Chevrolet Firetruck. It has 5,000 miles on it. It was professionally painted several years ago. Original Iowa truck. It was used in parades and for funeral services for firefighters. I'm taking possession July 4th after a local parade. Picked it up for $2,000 running and driving with a clean title.

Engine :

235ci 6 cylinder

Transmission :

Manual 4 speed transmission with 2 speed rear axle

Exterior :

500gpm pump
    250 gallon tank

Last edited by H311RA151N; 07-10-2019, 07:41 PM.

It needs a passenger side window wiper arm.

It's still 6 volt so all bulbs are 6 volt as well. It's hard to see at night. Kinda dangerous. But I'm going to see what I can do to overcome that. I want to stay 6 volt.

The interior is intact and should clean up nicely.

It may need a passenger side front tire. It sat most of the time and the tire went flat. These tires are super expensive. They have tubes as well. One steer tire is $275. Plus a $35 tube plus a $25 flap. I'm really hoping I dont have to replace the tire because I'll probably end up replacing both if I do.

It does come with a couple used spares mounted on wheels so we'll see.

I'm debating on how to get it to Missouri where I can store it. I don't know if I'd want to drive this 400 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
      I'm debating on how to get it to Missouri where I can store it. I don't know if I'd want to drive this 400 miles.
      Where's your sense of adventure?? I suppose it is short (height and length) enough that it could be put on a flatbed and carried that far. Worth getting a quote or two.

I love it.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

It's wild for sure. Talk about bare necessities. It's got a pretty neat horn. It's well taken care of. And the super low miles helps as well.

Comment

Makes me miss my '62 Chevy pickup. Had a similar engine (230, 235? inline 6, single barrel carb), three on the tree manual transmission, 4:11 rear end, deluxe cab (chrome trim and bumpers), 8 foot bed. Didn't realize it until I bought it (in 1983?) that it had torsion bar front suspension.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I've never owned anything prior to '73. Not to mention a Chevrolet truck other than a '90 S10. It's a different thing these old trucks. Babbet? rods and low pressure oiling systems. The mechanical starter button. I have no idea what rear gears it's got. It's a 2 ton truck. Lots I dont know.

Comment

I think the 62 was the oldest I've had. I had a couple 65 Cadillac convertibles, 63 Thunderbird convertible, 66 Buick LeSabre, 67 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (source of username), 69 Oldsmobile 98, 71 Chevrolet Caprice

Comment

67 Cadillac Fleetwood is an awesome car. Looong cars. Yet proportioned. From the 60's the Lincoln Continental is my all time favorite. Like JFK rode around in.

Comment

The Brougham was a few inches longer than the DeVille; longer rear doors and passenger compartment. It had rear passenger footrests and fold down desk surfaces on the back of the front seats. All black.

Comment

Fuel pump needed replaced when I went to pick it up. Probably from sitting. And the front brakes were a little weak. It's being repaired at a local shop. I plan to drive this a little bit then trade or sell it. It's fun to drive and very nostalgic. But I think it belongs with someone who is more into the fire truck thing. Either way I picked it up at a very decent price.

Comment

This is cool. Need more pics!

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                        This is cool. Need more pics!
                        I was at the shop today. Had I seen this comment I would've taken more.

It's a done deal. Traded title for cash today.

I'm picking it up at the shop tomorrow. It had the front brakes repaired as well as the brake master cylinder.

It needs the passenger side front tire replaced with the extra one it came with.

I purchased a mirror, wiper blades a wiper arm and a turn signal lens.

More pictures tomorrow.

Comment

Onto a set of front tires after some research.

I'm getting a set of Power King Super Highway HD 7.5x20.

I also have to get tubes and flaps. Flaps and tubes are $160. Ouch.

Problem is the wheels are split wheel design. I have to find someone willing to change them. They can be super deadly. Might have a hard time here.

Comment

Comment

If my pictures are small my apologies. NEW PICTURES /\ /\

Comment

Working...
                              X