EXT: Chrome DIY JDM Side Skirt Replicas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Chrome DIY JDM Side Skirt Replicas

Hey guys, I just had an idea to make replica Chrome Side Skirts that JDM Accords come with. I know this won't be "JDM" But it will be OEM and it will also be chrome.

Here is a picture of a 9091 JDM Accord with OEM chrome side skirts (photo taken from Ivo's facebook )

Now here is my idea. The fact that the Accords in all have the same style and just side skirts but just chrome for Japan and the other is painted/unpainted plastic in the US makes this DIY muuuuch simpler.

Supplies:

OEM side skirts
    Autozone chrome wrap
    spray on glue (possibly)
    heat gun
    socket set
    star screw driver
    pliers
    Something good to cut with.

Here is a picture of that chrome tape:

This is all brainstorming and I haven't put this idea into work yet. SOOOO I apologize that there aren't many pictures.

1) Take your front mudflap off.

2) Unscrew those plastic screws under the car. This is extremely hard to do with a regular screw driver because you may just strip the screw. But what my dad thought of was using a regular socket wrench with a small bit that can fit a star drill bit. This is much easier and safer to use when unscrewing. Just take your time. There will be some stuck bolts and there might be some pulling/cutting the plastic screw to get it out.

3) The side skirt is on clips firmly pull the center of the side skirt first. Then slowly work side to side on popping it out of the body.

4) Once the side skirt is out, the DIY begins.

5) Thoroughly clean the side skirt with simple green or wash it really good with car washing soap, hell dawn soap may work.

6) I'd assume to spray some adhesive glue to the side skirt so you can apply that chrome wrap. I am not necessarily sure, I have never worked with it.

7) Then lay the chrome wrap over the side skirt and squeegee out the bubbles with a card or a squeegee. Do your best job.

8) I'd assume to hit it up with the heat gun now to make the wrap nice and tight so the glue dries and the whole bit.

9) cut some of the excess trim but be sure to overlap over the top!

10) Re install the side skirt and there ya go! Chrome side skirts.

KEEP IT NICE, NOT RICE

I think he already has that on his door mouldings

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

I have that all around the car except the rear bumper. But for the side skirts mikey! SIDE SKIRTSSSS

KEEP IT NICE, NOT RICE

Comment

I need to read better. LOL.

Mikey likes this mod.

Would look awesome on the wagon.

Comment

Mikey needs to do this mod to the wagon. Mikey also needs to put on chrome trim all around the wagon.

KEEP IT NICE, NOT RICE

Comment

Dont you worry, the chrome trim will be done for sure. It'll just pop on the wagon, the way it does on your car.

Comment

Dark colors ftmfw. I think you need new rimsss.

KEEP IT NICE, NOT RICE

Comment

might try this. Going with a blue/white/chrome theme.

how did you guys keep the chrome trim straight?

^MRT^

Comment

Much much much much patients.

KEEP IT NICE, NOT RICE

Comment

Working...
                  X