Who makes good cv axles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who makes good cv axles?

Just wondering which company to buy from. My front passengers side is going bad and changing it soon. Want to get a good brand. I don't much like a1cardone products and read bad things about detroit axle. I can get duralast at auto zone but don't generally trust the parts at any part stores anymore for reliability and longevity. Anyone got any recommendations. Anyone hear of raxles?
    Last edited by zedjr10; 02-27-2018, 02:39 AM.

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
    Just wondering which company to buy from. My front passengers side is going bad and changing it soon. Want to get a good brand. I don't much like a1cardone products and read bad things about detroit axle. I can get duralast at auto zone but don't generally trust the parts at any part stores anymore for reliability and longevity. Anyone got any recommendations. Anyone hear of raxles?
    driveshaft shop makes good performance axles.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Honda.. , Honda makes really good axles for our car

Comment

Raxles or OEM is all I will put on the cars anymore. Raxles will only rebuild OEM axles.
        Last edited by Rilas; 02-27-2018, 03:30 PM.
        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

It's funny for my 2004 TSX...

Aftermarket Axle = $105 CDN
          Acura Axle = $899 CDN

And that's for one axle. What do you think the difference is

Comment

Yeah and honda axle is outrageously priced. SO is raxles if you don't have oem core. 300 dollars a piece without core at raxles. I've also read some bad reviews for raxles on yelp. It was only 3 reviews total though. So small sampling. Any other specialized axle shops? I guess the cv axle seal in there should be replaced.

Comment

A new axle from Honda at retail is right about $300 for the Accord. I paid $300 for an OEM axel for our '09 Pilot. If you want things to last you have to spend the cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                A new axle from Honda at retail is right about $300 for the Accord. I paid $300 for an OEM axel for our '09 Pilot. If you want things to last you have to spend the cash.
                Yeah true, true. Sounds better than raxles as i checked my axles and they aren't oem. The driveshaft shop have basic set of axles for 330. Maybe i should just replace both of them. The drivers side is good for now but it is cheap aftermarket also. Anyone got any experience with the driveshaft shop basic axles with no hp rating. Any other brands someone could recommend?

Comment

Found oem one from honda store for 262 dollars. This is hard part to find. Most honda stores don't sell it anymore.

Comment

I forgot to ask earlier. What other parts should i replace while there. The cv axle seal, or does all that stuff come with the axle?

Comment

If you can wait, there's this shop I used when I lived in AZ called Phoenix Rack and Axle. They rebuild OEM cores with new boots, grease and internal hardware depending on if its worn out.

I've used them for my 89 Accord SEI axles and my 95 Odyssey axles. I had my OE 42k mile axles rebooted and repacked with grease on my SEI and they turned out perfect for $100.

on the Odyssey, I traded in my OEM cores with 320k and got some OEM rebuilt ones for $120. It was an exact match to the ones I removed.

Find a shop nearby you that rebuilds OE axles, or you can try to contact these guys I used in Phoenix, AZ. They've been around since 2004 and even the dealer refers people to them for older Hondas. I've never had a problem with them.

http://phoenixrackandaxle.com/index.php

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

And of course there's DSS, but high end, usually racing material.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/

Comment

i got an oem one for $262. Fk it. I like longevity. Raxles wanted 300 for rebuilt one. THis is brand new for less so i feel ok. So what else should i change when down there. There's a seal and something else in there to change also(I've never changed a axle). Got to get all my ducks in a row cause i hate buying shit from local parts store. Twice the price for half the quality.

Comment

Zed, while replacing the axle I would take the half shaft out and replace the seal on the transmission with an OEM seal. It's 3 bolts with a 14mm socket/wrench. You can pop the seal out with a flat blade screw driver. I just pushed the same seal (new OEM) in by hand the other night. Other than that, you should be golden.

Comment

anybody ever try Insane Shafts? might be overkill for a stock car, but they are custom made and extra strong, and surprisingly not that expensive for the pair...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                              Current cars:
                              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X