H311RA151N : 1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
    Check for pitting inside the caliper caliper and caliper cylinder as really old brake fluid once contaminated can start causing erosion on the insides.
    Will do and thanks for the heads up on that. I imagine, just as you probably do that it's contaminated.

Hopefully, it don't have any pitting. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
      Will do and thanks for the heads up on that. I imagine, just as you probably do that it's contaminated.

Hopefully, it don't have any pitting. Fingers crossed.
      Also if you have never done it before, to extract the cylinder from the calipers you simply put a rag over the cylinder and caliper and take your air gun to blow compressed air into the caliper and it will blow it out just keep your Faingaz out of the way LOL
      [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I have actually never done it before. What you said to do is right on the money according to the OE service manual though! Thanks for giving me good information and input. I find it helpful to bounce ideas and such off people even if the task at hand isn't very difficult.

<A>

Comment

I successfully rebuilt my first brake caliper today. However, the brake caliper wasn't the problem. I found out it's the parking brake shoes on the inside of the rotor. A simple adjustment will fix the issue. I gently pulled the park brake during the test drive and the noise got louder. Once I released the park brake the noise went away and I couldn't replicate it again.

I'm guessing something was misaligned, probably due to wear. And messing with the park brake while driving must have got the park brake shoes aligned to where they quit dragging until it's used again.

The park brake system, from shoes and hardware to cables, will be replaced. It's not an immediate priority but on the to do list. I simply won't use the park brake until I get everything replaced. Luckily I have that option due to it having an automatic transmission

As for the caliper it is more than good to go and I obtained some experience today. More on that below.

The car is still on DOT 3. I wasn't going to fill it with the new DOT4 until after knowing if it was fixed or not. But it's ready to be changed out now.

First off I got the battery terminal situation completed. The car actually starts quicker and the lights are brighter. The red stuff is corrosion preventative spray I use.

The previous owner(s) left me quite the mess to deal with as seen in this first picture here. Horrible connection.

Finished product. I sliced the rubber boot on each side in order to bolt down the two wire sets nice and securely. It's a little odd looking but it's a quality permanent fix that will last.

As for the brakes.

It was much easier to take the caliper guide bolts out this time. The wonders of anti-seize and quality grease!

In the process of pushing the piston out. I did it slowly by pressing steadily and carefully on the brake pedal.

Little bit of gunk in there.

I washed it with soapy water a couple times and blew it off/out with compressed air in order to keep from contaminating my chem dip.

The caliper barely fits in the Chem-Dip can.

The piston was gunked up too. I cleaned it up as well and it cleaned up pretty decently.

Cleaned up and ready to assemble.

One last piece to go.

And, here it's back together ready for testing.

Comment

Props to you! That's one thing I've still never done.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Thanks Jarrett! I struggled with the inner seal. Getting the old one out was more difficult than getting the new one in as getting something underneath it to remove it seemed impossible. Scratching anywhere around the seal will make the caliper useless. But, they make a pick set for firearms made of plastic as they are scratch proof. That was how I was able to do it.

Getting the new seal in I thought they sent me the wrong seal as it seemed way to big. But once I finessed in there it fit. Sure enough. Everything else was pretty straight forward.

Comment

My GF does phenomenal detail work. She really made this thing shine yesterday.

After seeing how nice it actually looks I decided to order a couple things to help preserve it. It sit's most of the time so a car cover is really a necessity.

I bought a Duck Covers double defender car cover and Gust Strap car cover wind protector set. Which is basically bungie cords with rubber boots/hooks and such.

I also bought a car cover for the car cover. A Fasmov waterproof cover. I did this because reviews on the Duck Cover said that it's great except when it gets wet as takes forever to dry and gets really heavy. So that's why I got the cheaper Fasmov waterproof cover to go over it.

Both were relatively cheap. Less than $100 for the pair.

I have some U haul furniture protector blankets that are really thick and durable. I'm going to sew those onto the backside of the Fasmov cover. To protect from things like hail. I'm going to attempt this anyhow.

Comment

14b is getting rebuilt. And the fuel system is getting upgraded. Should be fun!

PSSSSSSHHHHHHHH Boooost!!!

T25 will make a nice desk piece!

Comment

I love seeing the results of a project that was researched and done correctly.
                    So well executed Josh !!

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
                      I love seeing the results of a project that was researched and done correctly.
                      So well executed Josh !!
                      Thanks Tomi!

I'm outta dough for vehicles at the moment. Working on other things in life currently. Trying to move still.

That being said, it's the right way or no way. Hence why I'm not doing anything at the moment.

Comment

I've decided that I'm going to let Forced Performance refresh my recently acquired 14b turbocharger.

It's rather expensive, for a 14b. However the 14b fits the bill perfectly as for what I'm after. After receiving it back from Forced Performance it will be in amazing condition and will be something I'm very confident in installing.

Comment

Sweet, FP does good work/makes good stuff. Whats the goal after the rebuild?

Comment

Originally posted by kseriescivic View Post
                            Sweet, FP does good work/makes good stuff. Whats the goal after the rebuild?
                            Tactrix cable so I can flash, FIC 1650's to complete the fuel system, VRSF front mount, shift box and little things like a Hallman MBC. Shooting for 11s on the 14b. It's been done. It's a stretch but with the right tuning it's doable. The 14b with a 360* bearing makes them hold 23 to 25 psi pretty reliably.

Comment

No more red valve cover. Thankfully.

I didn't paint the center section or focus on it rather as it's not seen with the aluminum Extreme PSI wire cover in place.

I'm going to go over it in bronze once more tomorrow. Afterwards I'm going to hit the letters and numbers carefully with a paint stripping wheel after taping everything else off.

Comment

Got the valve cover back on. Still not happy with it. Didn't take a picture. I want a different color.

I think I will buy another valve cover and send it to a local powder coater I know.

Comment

Working...
                                X