Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Cold Air Intake Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Air Intake Questions

Hey, I have a cold-air intake installed on my car and removed most of the airbox piping. My intake filter has a "hole" on the end of it that I could probably put some of that piping into and was wondering if it would be worth it to do that in case it helped it suck up enough air to make a difference at all.

if your filter has a hole then just replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmjimenez View Post
      if your filter has a hole then just replace it.
      Pretty sure he means this hole:

Just leave the hole alone.
      Originally posted by Mishakol129
      Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

With the stock intake setup, the ducting ensures that the air drawn into the system comes from outside of the engine bay, rather than inside. The air outside the bay is colder, and generally more dense, than the air inside the bay. At least this is my understanding.

A true cold air intake will move the air filter to a location where it has access to colder air than the stock intake; generally this is down lower in the bay, near the wheel well or in the front bumper.

A short ram air intake doesn't allow this relocation, and in certain setups can be coupled with a sort of insulation box that further isolates its air supply from that exposed to the engine in the bay, helping ensure that the air it draws is colder (and thus more dense, equating to more air). It may be beneficial to leave the stock wheel well/front bumper ducting in place to give the short ram air intake a more direct supply of colder air, but I doubt this is significant in practice. A isolation box would be a better choice.

As for the concave in the face of the filter, I believe that's just the design of the filter. I imagine it's conical shape helps with air flow and dispersion or such. It's not intended to be a feature for use as you describe, of that I'm certain.
        Last edited by reklipz; 10-04-2013, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
          It's not intended to be a feature for use as you describe, of that I'm certain.
          Not true at all.... But there's not much to be had.

The Spectre kit comes with a hose to add to the end of the filter. Junk IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
            mind... blown...

Thanks for the correction! I'll have to look at my Spectre filter, but I believe the concave in the face is sealed. I know the Apexi filter I have here is completely sealed. On filters designed like these, I suppose I would say I'm more certain there is no designed intention of feeding it air via a pipe like that image shows.

Comment

does a short ram air intake or a cold air intake actually give u any HP gains at all? some people say up to 15HP gains and some say only 1HP gains.

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
                mind... blown...

Thanks for the correction! I'll have to look at my Spectre filter, but I believe the concave in the face is sealed. I know the Apexi filter I have here is completely sealed. On filters designed like these, I suppose I would say I'm more certain there is no intention of feeding it air via a pipe like that image shows.
                I have the exact filter in the pic, there's a bunch of glue where the end meets the filter, but it is indeed open. Covering the end makes the filter whistle. I only know about the extra hose at the end because I bought the "kit" a long time ago.

I think the hose is meant to simulate a CAI....but with the filter inline. I actually tried using the hose and running it thru the hole in the passenger side of the engine, where the hole is hole the OEM air box. I removed the hose soon after.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmjimenez View Post
                  does a short ram air intake or a cold air intake actually give u any HP gains at all? some people say up to 15HP gains and some say only 1HP gains.
                  I think Wikipedia captures this question rather well:

Originally posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_ram_air_intake
                  There is still some open debate on this issue, but some believe that a problem with short ram air intakes is that the air entering the intake is at a higher temperature due to the proximity of the engine, which may reduce some power. This may be partially offset by an increase in the volume of air entering the engine. To counter intake heat problems, many short ram intakes include some form of heat shield. Moving the intake inlet port further away from the engine block will also help to alleviate the problem and some users use a cold air intake where the inlet air is at or close to ambient temperature. However, others claim that Short Ram Intakes (SRIs) or similar Warm Air Intakes (WAIs) offer benefits over Cold Air Intakes (CAIs) which include better MPG due to a more complete burning of fuel. Users with forced induction engines often opt for short ram intakes because compressors adjacent to the engine, especially turbochargers, heat the incoming air and negate much of the benefits of a cold air intake. Additional problems can result from using a short ram intake in cars utilizing a mass airflow sensor though most of today's sensors automatically adjust without issue. Turbulence in the intake airflow produced by the filter or piping, or a change in intake diameter at the point where the airflow is measured can produce inaccurate airflow readings. The error in airflow then translates to an error in the amount of added fuel. In the worst case, the air/fuel ratio can run lean, causing detonation and possibly engine failure although the airflow sensor will generally detect and correct the throttle to compensate for the warmer air. This can also be solved by modifying/elongating the intake piping, replacing the airflow meter, or by replacing/remapping the engine control computer to provide the correct amount of fuel for the intake airflow at all engine speeds.
                  How it affects your setup depends entirely on your setup.
                  Last edited by reklipz; 10-04-2013, 12:28 AM.

Comment

that was a really good answer to my quedtion, thanks

Comment

Cai are the best way to go, more gains all the way around. More expensive and more dangerous.

If you live in wet conditions or have occasional rainy weather. You must run a bypass filter (short ram intake in a sense). It sits in the engine bay between the cai and the piping to the intake manifold.

Wet weather will soak the cai and your gonna have a bad day.

A wet cai filter will cause more work for your intake and will eventually pull in your cylinders causing hydro lock and seize your motor.

By having a bypass filter whenever your cai filter is wet, your intake will pull air from the area with less pressure. That is why the bypass filter is important in street application cai.

Cai are always better
                      Cai Cons are that it's more expensive, and a bypass filter is highly recommended in wet weather use.

Cons to SRIs are that your pulling in more air, but warmer air.
                      Pros are more sound, roar. Increase in mpg a by about 2mpg

I personally prefer sri due to roar and it's cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                        Pretty sure he means this hole:

http://static.pepboys.com/images/pro...ement-8136.jpg

Just leave the hole alone.
                        Yeah that's what I meant. Alright, when I got it the guy put the tubing into that. I pulled it out because I didnt think it did much.

Comment

Working...
                        X