CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Audio/Electronics

Old 07-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
ricobravousa
Newcomer

ricobravousa is cool... so far.
Aftermarket Stereo Won't Power On Sometimes?

Okay guys, so the title is pretty much self-explanatory of the entire situation.

Recently, I've had some problems with my car stereo...
I replaced the stock head unit with an aftermarket Kenwood about 2-3 months ago and everything was working just fine. Bluetooth works perfect, it picks up stations pretty solid and I really couldn't complain about anything (besides that I only have three 9.5'' speakers since my driver side door speaker wire was cut d*mn near to the base by whoever was the original owner)
Anyways, the issue hasn't been that the music won't play through any of the speakers - but instead that it won't even power on!
A couple of weeks ago it first began having an issue with the power; For example, I would start the car in the morning and it would take 2-3 minutes before it would even power on. Once it DID get started, the text would be scrambled (on the monitor) and it would take forever to settle on an input ( the bluetooth may take 30 secs. or so to connect, or the radio wouldn't actually be playing).

Now, it won't even come on bro! I'm a pimp, so I enjoy my peace and quiet - but I gotta' have my smooth tunes sometimes!

So, at first I thought "Hm, let me just try and remove the faceplate and plug it back in - right?" Nothing. So, I took a bit of time to remove the fuse box and check on the fuse -- Here's what I found.

There's like 3-4 fuses that are the wrong number, and I think there's one missing too! However, If I recall correctly the fuse running my radio was okay.
I'll double check on it, and maybe post a couple of photos of what I mean just so I can clarify for you guys - but anyways I was really just wondering what else could the problem possibly be?

As a side note, I'm pretty sure that everything is installed correctly directly to the head unit..
ricobravousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
I know the remote wire can cause the stereo to not power on. Did this wire become unplugged?
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
AhYesCB7
CB7tuner Member

AhYesCB7 is cool... so far.
You need to go through the fuses and replace them with the proper size first.

Did you use a proper aftermarket harness to connect the headunit to the stock wiring?
AhYesCB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:30 AM   #4
apalileo
Gold Member

apalileo is cool... so far.
Is this a new head unit? How are the contacts between the head unit and the face plate? The scrambled text on the display suggests there is a communication issue between the two. Input selection and overall operation is completely dependent on the face being properly connected so I'd definitely investigate there as well.

apalileo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:25 AM   #5
accordlove
CB7tuner Member

accordlove is cool... so far.
replace all the fuses with correct ones under hood and behind the drivers side kick panel (behind hood release). once thats all good make sure the remote wire and power/grounds on the wire connector and adapter that connect to the head unit are all good. there should also be a fuse on the back of the head unit itself, check that. if all that is good then get a test light, it will help you see whats getting power and what isn't.
accordlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
ricobravousa
Newcomer

ricobravousa is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhYesCB7 View Post
You need to go through the fuses and replace them with the proper size first.

Did you use a proper aftermarket harness to connect the headunit to the stock wiring?
Preciate' it.

Thanks everyone, so pretty much I did go through the fuses and some of them were just completely wrong.
After replacing everything the stereo is coming back on - but it takes a little while for it to connect to the bluetooth still.

More than likely when I've got some time this weekend I'll disconnect it and do a little bit more thorough searching!

Honestly, I've been considering installing an AMP and mounting two 6x9's in my backdoors (there's a huge space under the panel and from what I can tell there shouldn't be any conflict with having them sitting in there "flush") so more than likely, I'll be re-wiring everything and getting down to the knitty-gritty soon.

Last edited by ricobravousa; 07-31-2017 at 05:46 PM.
ricobravousa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: