Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Cold Air Intake Options.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Air Intake Options.....

Is there much of a difference between the short tube cold air intake vs a long tube cold air intake? I mean, in a cold air intake you obviously want a cooler air induction into your intake, then why would you use a short tube intake when a lot of the heat from the motor is still trapped in the engine compartment?
    So realistically you'd want a long tube cold air intake and put the filter element in an area that would have the best outside air induction, correct?
    So, in building my own CAI where would the best "Path" be to get that cooler air?
    My Project, My Concept
    1990 LX Coupe

"Certified CB7 Tuner"

Honestly, I'd just throw a K&N filter in the stock air box. CAI/SRI intake gains are so small it really doesn't even matter..

Comment

But in cleaning up the engine bay you'd still suggest that? I mean I know its a dinky little F22 what is your opinion on cleaning it up some? I was under the assumption that in combination with my headers it would open up my bay "some" and give it a little more curb appeal so to speak'
      But if there is a way to make it aesthetically appealing by just using a K&N with the stock air box by all means shoot me an idea or 3!
      My Project, My Concept
      1990 LX Coupe

"Certified CB7 Tuner"

Comment

I installed a universal pod filter on my stock intake tube because i like intake noise and dont care about negligible performance decrease.
        Last edited by lbus9168; 08-15-2017, 03:55 AM.
        sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

When you say intake sound I'm assuming your talking about the sucking sound?
          My Project, My Concept
          1990 LX Coupe

"Certified CB7 Tuner"

Comment

The over under on these statements has to be infinity. The short tube or ram air as I call it that picks up near the battery is not quite as good as cold air, long tube. True cold air will give you a noticeable difference in power but it comes at a cost. Putting the intake outside the bay and lower to the ground increases your chances of sucking up water and locking the engine. Ever since I did that I have used the short tube style. The only difference between that and sticking a cone filter on stock piping is aesthetics. That part is up to you.
            ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

The stock intake is cold air. It pulls air from inside the fender.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

short ram (filter in the bay) = a lil more torque

cold air (filter outside the bay) = a lil more HP

i just deleted all the black tubes attached to the air box and deleted the resonator behind the bumper cover, then drilled holes in the bottom of the air box. so basically i now have a short ram intake.

to "open it up" and have more air flowing to the engine, you would want a bigger TB and a ported and polished manifold. or like ghostaccord, and have individual throttle bodies.

Comment

Okay, thanks guys for the break down much appreciated.
                  My Project, My Concept
                  1990 LX Coupe

"Certified CB7 Tuner"

Comment

Exactly.

The intake itself isn't the bottleneck. The throttle body, manifold, and head ports are a few.

If you want an open bay, that's cool, but the intake doesn't really inhibit one from accessing anything. Maybe relocate the battery to the trunk. You're going to have to do this for a "true cai" anyway.

Comment

I'm not sure if it'll go against your plans but ducting cool air to the filter on a SRI pretty much has the same effect as having a CAI without the worries of hydrolocking your engine. most of the clutter in the engine bay in my opinion is the various wiring and hoses. I know an intake will be easier to do but in the end it'll be the stuff I mentioned that makes your engine bay look more disheveled.

Comment

Also, keep in mind, when the car is in motion, engine bay air is not hot enough to affect performance significantly.

A cai requires cutting. That resulted in a hideous rusty butthole in my engine bay. Not at all clean.

Comment

Personal experience with the different intake setups.

Had an expensive blue powder coated AEM SRI. Performance was awesome! Just like OEM, just $200 poorer.

Swapped it out for a CAI with an AEM dryflow filter. It was sooooo much better than the SRI... filter was a pain in the ass to clean with it jammed up in the front bumper/fenderwell. I did like the sound it made though, couldn't hear the sucking sound as much.

The only intake setup my 'butt dyno' could tell the difference from was a homemade venturi setup. Better throttle response, but some actual R&D would have to go into it as to whether or not it was beneficial OR if it was just the fact that the larger diameter intake tube was allowing for the better throttle response.
                          Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            Also, keep in mind, when the car is in motion, engine bay air is not hot enough to affect performance significantly.
                            I thought about cutting a hole in the hood and have the filter sticking out for shits and giggles but nah...

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            A cai requires cutting. That resulted in a hideous rusty butthole in my engine bay. Not at all clean.
                            LMAO you're supposed to paint where you cut it!

Comment

Deev, I'm dying! Rusty butthole! Hahahaha!

Comment

Working...
                              X