Chris Cornell now Chester Bennington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris Cornell now Chester Bennington

I'm sure that some of you have already heard that today, on Chris Cornells birthday, Chester Bennington of Linkin Park committed suicide.

Hybrid Theory was the first album I ever bought. I was 11. It was the first album that really got me into music. I think the second album I ever bought was Meteora.

Sad thing to hear. I know a lot of people about my age, late twenties, grew up listing to Linkin Park.

I heard it on the radio on my way home from work, even after all these years I can listen to all the older songs of his.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
      Sad thing to hear. I know a lot of people about my age, late twenties, grew up listing to Linkin Park.
      I know a lot of people in their early 40's who spent their college and university years partying to these tunes. It's a shame! I have mixed emotions on these celebrity suicides. One side of me thinks that they are weak, the other side says they had a weak support system.

I have been with my soulmate for well over 25 years now. She has struggled with depression and severe anxiety off and on throughout those years. I know all to well the ups and downs of these mental issues. Sure we don't have to deal with the celebrity status. The issues are still just as strong. There is no reason for it to end this way no matter what the social status. Family is the only thing that matters.
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Everyone has issues regardless of the celebrity status, wealth, outward happiness, etc..
        It's those who suffer in silence by either not getting help, not knowing who to turn to for help, or even feeling the stigma of seeing a 'shrink' that prevents them from doing so, that often shock everyone.

Whatever the issues he had, be them personal, medical, financial, realistic, or delusional, he clearly reached that point that so many others have and so many others probably will.
        There is help out there and the help is right at their fingertips. A simple phone call, email, text message, or even face to face talk could have changed his mind.

Not knowing what he was dealing with, you really can't say other than I hope he found his peace. Suicide is not the only option, but it was the one he chose.
        Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Sad news indeed. Depression can affect anyone, I've suffered my whole life from it. Pills, counseling, etc. And at the end of the day it will always be there. Sometimes life sucks your whole life. Like Robin Williams these people probably were on the thin line between genius and insane. When at the top of the emotional roller coaster they excel in everything they do, when at the bottom no-one or nothing seems to be able to help.

It is sad.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
            I know a lot of people in their early 40's who spent their college and university years partying to these tunes. It's a shame! I have mixed emotions on these celebrity suicides. One side of me thinks that they are weak, the other side says they had a weak support system.

I have been with my soulmate for well over 25 years now. She has struggled with depression and severe anxiety off and on throughout those years. I know all to well the ups and downs of these mental issues. Sure we don't have to deal with the celebrity status. The issues are still just as strong. There is no reason for it to end this way no matter what the social status. Family is the only thing that matters.
            That is a misconception, that someone who commits suicide is "weak".

If you think about it, it is actually a really tough decision to make. Especially for someone in his shoes, who had 6 kids and lived a very comfortable lifestyle. To wrap a rope around your neck and pull the trigger that ends your life, things must be really bad and to have the courage to do that, for lack of a better word, takes a lot of will and determination. I see those people as very strong, because I have a wife, two beautiful daughters, a home, a car, and a good job and I have been so down that I have contemplated suicide, but at this point there is no way I would ever be "strong" enough to do that and leave behind my family. At least that is how I look at it. I don't like when people refer or assume they are weak.

Also its not really fair to compare them with your soul mate, as even though the symptoms might be similar, the stories are not and everyone's wired differently. Not picking on you, just sharing my side is all.

It is sad, no matter how you look at it. Just as with Cornell, these are people that had immeasurable value. When you strip away all the success and money, fame etc. They carried millions of people through dark times in their own lives with the music they created. I am not a huge LP fan. I have a few songs on my ipod, but I am a tremendous Soundgarden fan and thankfully saw them in 2011 after they reunited. I have been listening to them since 1996 when Down on the upside came out. For me that is 20 years now. At 34 years old, that is almost my entire life. So I can understand why people mourn them and why it affects them so much.

Comment

"Crawling" and "In the End" were the two songs I listened to in gradeschool.

I remember when I had my first ipod (bulky thing it was) and they were the first songs I put on there because my mom bought me the CD LOL.

Really sad to hear because you never want anyone to ever commit suicide. Especially when they have kids. I have had friends' parents commit suicide and they resorted to drugs and alcohol to cope with their loss. Damn shame.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone associated with him, especially his family.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post

If you think about it, it is actually a really tough decision to make. Especially for someone in his shoes, who had 6 kids and lived a very comfortable lifestyle. To wrap a rope around your neck and pull the trigger that ends your life, things must be really bad and to have the courage to do that, for lack of a better word, takes a lot of will and determination.
                I'm sorry I couldn't finish reading your post after I read the statement that you seem to think someone who commits suicide is courageous, full of will and determination. Those are definitely not words that I associate with persons who give up on themselves and their loved ones! That being said, this is only my opinion.
                MR Thread
                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

You can't really judge someone though, because you don't know them. I mean is it bad he offed himself? Of course it is but it was HIS choice and his alone.

I refuse to call someone weak because of what they did..I don't know who he was personally. I was a fan of his music..back in high school and I saw them in concert 5 years ago for the first and last time, looking back on it now it was all this angst and songs about the depression that I realize the guy was probably hurting all these years.

He just had a creative outlet to let it out.

I even have some of his old music from his old band called GreyDayz. I mean it was clear as day that he might have been struggling the whole time but as fans or just listeners we tend to not pay attention to the obvious until it's too late.

I can't fathom calling someone weak because they supposedly chose the easy way out but in their mind they probably thought they were better off.

Money can't buy you happiness for sure but in the end only he knew his demons even with a smile on his face.
                  Henry R
                  Koni/Neuspeed
                  1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                  1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                  Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                  made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                    Everyone has issues regardless of the celebrity status, wealth, outward happiness, etc..
                    It's those who suffer in silence by either not getting help, not knowing who to turn to for help, or even feeling the stigma of seeing a 'shrink' that prevents them from doing so, that often shock everyone.

Whatever the issues he had, be them personal, medical, financial, realistic, or delusional, he clearly reached that point that so many others have and so many others probably will.
                    There is help out there and the help is right at their fingertips. A simple phone call, email, text message, or even face to face talk could have changed his mind.

Not knowing what he was dealing with, you really can't say other than I hope he found his peace. Suicide is not the only option, but it was the one he chose.
                    I have an extremely strong feeling against suicide and those who choose it as a solution, I myself have suffered with depresion and although i understand there are different levels of it; i always have understood that there are people out there fighting to live and would give anything to keep on doing so even at whatever situation i am in. I have been at the physical level of not even being able to walk or crawl for that matter due to back injuries, the lack of sleep combined with the pain puts hatred on your heart but also humbles you and makes you realize how small and insignificant you are as you see people going on with their everyday life without you. Last year i was having symptoms similar to those of esophageal/colon cancer, had an endoscopy done and thankfully it was not the case; the period from when i started having internal bleeding and unberable pain to the diagnosis was the longest 2 weeks of my life and actually led me to accept the possibility of near death(buddy passed away from colon cancer at the age of 23) but it also led me to promise myself that no matter the pain and the arduous treatment i would never give up and would fight to the end. Suicide does not end the suffering but merely passes it on.

this quote sums it up

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience" Julius Caesar
                    Last edited by Crankshaft; 07-22-2017, 07:54 PM.
                    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I can relate to some of you who have mentioned you have or had at one time suffered from depression. Although my "experience" isn't something I talk about much I will share some of it.

The summary of my story is my parents split at 4. My mom took me and I was nearly homeless with her until she died 2 weeks after giving birth to my half brother when I was 5. My half brother and I were split up. I went with my dad who had already remarried. That wasn't their original plan so she didn't like me. She beat me once so bad my dad cried when he came home and seen black bruises from my belt line to the back of my knees. She died of cancer when I was 12. Last thing she said to me was in her dying I was going to get what I always wanted. Dad was a wreck, drinking and left with almost $100k in her hospital bills. I kept getting in trouble at school. Sent to a boys ranch at 15. Got out at 17 and was on my own. Troubles with the law at 18. In a severe car accident at 19. By 20 I had given up on life and tried to stay inebriated to escape my thoughts and my past.

It was constant. Relentless. One thing rolled into the next. And what didn't happen to me I brought upon myself. It was like falling down a hill and it never ending.

I don't even know how or when exactly it stopped. I think I was so numb from the drugs and drinking that things evened out.

Eventually I learned to cope better. Two years ago I left everything I knew to come to Iowa. That helped. When you don't see things that remind you of unpleasant past experiences it's easier to stay positive.

The last two years have been much better. I've actually been able to make advances in life. And when something bad happens chances are I've already dealt with it before so I know how to handle it better.

Those of you who have mentioned that you've had suicidal thoughts are very courageous. That takes a lot to admit.

Comment

If you think about it, it is actually a really tough decision to make. Especially for someone in his shoes, who had 6 kids and lived a very comfortable lifestyle. To wrap a rope around your neck and pull the trigger that ends your life, things must be really bad and to have the courage to do that, for lack of a better word, takes a lot of will and determination. I see those people as very strong, because I have a wife, two beautiful daughters, a home, a car, and a good job and I have been so down that I have contemplated suicide, but at this point there is no way I would ever be "strong" enough to do that and leave behind my family. At least that is how I look at it. I don't like when people refer or assume they are weak.

Also its not really fair to compare them with your soul mate, as even though the symptoms might be similar, the stories are not and everyone's wired differently. Not picking on you, just sharing my side is all.

It is sad, no matter how you look at it. Just as with Cornell, these are people that had immeasurable value. When you strip away all the success and money, fame etc. They carried millions of people through dark times in their own lives with the music they created. I am not a huge LP fan. I have a few songs on my ipod, but I am a tremendous Soundgarden fan and thankfully saw them in 2011 after they reunited. I have been listening to them since 1996 when Down on the upside came out. For me that is 20 years now. At 34 years old, that is almost my entire life. So I can understand why people mourn them and why it affects them so much.
                        I can't really agree with you.

It is taking the easy way out. The HARD part is toughing out the hard times to get to the next good times. The amount of suffering and heartache it inflicts on loved ones is nothing short of selfish. I get that people take their own lives for a lot of different reasons, and I think any person would be lying if they said they had NEVER considered it themselves.

That said, the damage it does to the people who didn't GET to choose is immeasurably worse and they have to deal with far more in cleaning it up and coming to terms with it.

Imagine the irreparable emotional damage this is going to do to his kids...

I was a huge LP fan (I am opposite of you in that I have never really liked Soundgarden all that much) and I respected Chester because not only was he from my home state, but he absolutely smashed the conceptions of what lead vocals should sound like. I went back and listened to a lot of the their songs with the music removed and you can actually sort of hear the pain in his singing.

That said, I still don't agree that he took the "hard" way out. It is unfortunate and sad as I really respected him as an artist and really wanted to enjoy more of their music.

The bottom line is that we need to not make asking for help as a depressed individual a social crime. We need to get away from the stigma of "the shrink" or "head doctor" as though anybody that needs to deal with stuff is automatically crazy. We don't think of people who need medial treatment for diabetes or cancer as being public health risks, so we need to move past the assumption that people who need help for depression as nut cases.

On a side note, in my industry, you couldn't even use the "D" word until recently because the FAA would yank your license first and ask questions later. So instead of getting help, hundreds, if not thousands, of pilots just lived with it. Divorce, financial ruin, job loss, starting over at the bottom of a new company, health issues, personal problems, etc. Didn't matter. If you were treated for depression, you were automatically assumed to be "not fit to fly" by the government. This lead, of course, to raging alcoholism in the industry. Luckily, in the last few years, they have started to realize that people weren't not depressed because they couldn't be treated, they simply went untreated. Note the GermanWings accident and his reported issues with depression.

Suicide is never the answer. Getting help is.
                        Last edited by owequitit; 07-23-2017, 02:28 AM.
                        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                          I'm sorry I couldn't finish reading your post after I read the statement that you seem to think someone who commits suicide is courageous, full of will and determination. Those are definitely not words that I associate with persons who give up on themselves and their loved ones! That being said, this is only my opinion.

See below.

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                          I can't really agree with you.

It is taking the easy way out. The HARD part is toughing out the hard times to get to the next good times. The amount of suffering and heartache it inflicts on loved ones is nothing short of selfish. I get that people take their own lives for a lot of different reasons, and I think any person would be lying if they said they had NEVER considered it themselves.

That said, the damage it does to the people who didn't GET to choose is immeasurably worse and they have to deal with far more in cleaning it up and coming to terms with it.

Imagine the irreparable emotional damage this is going to do to his kids...

I was a huge LP fan (I am opposite of you in that I have never really liked Soundgarden all that much) and I respected Chester because not only was he from my home state, but he absolutely smashed the conceptions of what lead vocals should sound like. I went back and listened to a lot of the their songs with the music removed and you can actually sort of hear the pain in his singing.

That said, I still don't agree that he took the "hard" way out. It is unfortunate and sad as I really respected him as an artist and really wanted to enjoy more of their music.

The bottom line is that we need to not make asking for help as a depressed individual a social crime. We need to get away from the stigma of "the shrink" or "head doctor" as though anybody that needs to deal with stuff is automatically crazy. We don't think of people who need medial treatment for diabetes or cancer as being public health risks, so we need to move past the assumption that people who need help for depression as nut cases.

On a side note, in my industry, you couldn't even use the "D" word until recently because the FAA would yank your license first and ask questions later. So instead of getting help, hundreds, if not thousands, of pilots just lived with it. Divorce, financial ruin, job loss, starting over at the bottom of a new company, health issues, personal problems, etc. Didn't matter. If you were treated for depression, you were automatically assumed to be "not fit to fly" by the government. This lead, of course, to raging alcoholism in the industry. Luckily, in the last few years, they have started to realize that people weren't not depressed because they couldn't be treated, they simply went untreated. Note the GermanWings accident and his reported issues with depression.

Suicide is never the answer. Getting help is.
                          The best way I can sum up my feelings on it is, how can you make that determination until you have made that decision? Obv im in the same boat, as I have never attempted it. What I am saying is, there is no doubt that it completely destroys the lives of the loved ones who you leave behind, but I think that it is a false narrative to claim that it is the "'easy" way out or weak. When you pull that trigger, or kick out the chair from beneath you, you KNOW the damage you are doing, you KNOW how much pain and suffering you will cause,, and you KNOW that you will NEVER look at your kids in the face again, never smell them on your clothes, never hear them laugh, etc etc.

And yet somehow people still find the self-determination to move forward with it. To me, that speaks volumes. I might feel differently know that I am a parent, but I just cannot fathom having the strength to actually commit to it. No matter how bad things are, I could never leave them to fight this big ugly world on their own. I want to be there as long as I could. Does that make me stronger then Chester or Chris? I don't think so. I don't really know how one would measure that kind of strength, but again, to me it just seems like to be able to come to the decision that your life does not matter anymore and ending it is better then going on, and actually being able to pull it off, takes a lot more strength and determination than I possess.

I just don't associate weak or easy with any of it. Selfish, yes, but not easy.

All opinion of course, I am not really trying to say anyone is wrong. This is a subject that I think cannot be contained to one narrative, I feel strongly about it, but no one side is right!

I just feel bad when people call those who make that decision weak. Its like saying, "well you obv couldn't handle life, so too bad for you". Its kind of dismissive. I am not saying to glorify suicide, or to make it special which would possibly entice others, although that is also a misconception that talking about it will entice someone to actually move forward.

As far as the stigma around it, and the way the U.S. handles mental health, I agree with you 100%. Chris Cornell is a great example. Here is someone who, like Chester, battled depression and substance abuse his whole life. Yea he was a big rockstar yadda yadda yadda. That does not make his mind or body work differently than any other human on the planet.

So since our mental health treatment is just utter b.s., they prescribe him MEDICATION when he was already an abuser, and when he accidently takes an extra one, that is the first place his mind goes. Its just unfair that we cant properly treat the millions of people just like them and even worse is that it only gets coverage because they're famous.
                          Last edited by Ralphie; 07-24-2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

See below.

The best way I can sum up my feelings on it is, how can you make that determination until you have made that decision? Obv im in the same boat, as I have never attempted it. What I am saying is, there is no doubt that it completely destroys the lives of the loved ones who you leave behind, but I think that it is a false narrative to claim that it is the "'easy" way out or weak. When you pull that trigger, or kick out the chair from beneath you, you KNOW the damage you are doing, you KNOW how much pain and suffering you will cause,, and you KNOW that you will NEVER look at your kids in the face again, never smell them on your clothes, never hear them laugh, etc etc.

And yet somehow people still find the self-determination to move forward with it. To me, that speaks volumes. I might feel differently know that I am a parent, but I just cannot fathom having the strength to actually commit to it. No matter how bad things are, I could never leave them to fight this big ugly world on their own. I want to be there as long as I could. Does that make me stronger then Chester or Chris? I don't think so. I don't really know how one would measure that kind of strength, but again, to me it just seems like to be able to come to the decision that your life does not matter anymore and ending it is better then going on, and actually being able to pull it off, takes a lot more strength and determination than I possess.

I just don't associate weak or easy with any of it. Selfish, yes, but not easy.

All opinion of course, I am not really trying to say anyone is wrong. This is a subject that I think cannot be contained to one narrative, I feel strongly about it, but no one side is right!

I just feel bad when people call those who make that decision weak. Its like saying, "well you obv couldn't handle life, so too bad for you". Its kind of dismissive. I am not saying to glorify suicide, or to make it special which would possibly entice others, although that is also a misconception that talking about it will entice someone to actually move forward.

As far as the stigma around it, and the way the U.S. handles mental health, I agree with you 100%. Chris Cornell is a great example. Here is someone who, like Chester, battled depression and substance abuse his whole life. Yea he was a big rockstar yadda yadda yadda. That does not make his mind or body work differently than any other human on the planet.

So since our mental health treatment is just utter b.s., they prescribe him MEDICATION when he was already an abuser, and when he accidently takes an extra one, that is the first place his mind goes. Its just unfair that we cant properly treat the millions of people just like them and even worse is that it only gets coverage because they're famous.
                            You are arguing false narrative by creating one...

You might be surprised about how much people know about decisions they may have thought about making. I'll just leave it at that.

My perspective on it doesn't change. It is selfish and easier than dealing with living and working through problems.

I'm not blaming anyone nor am I judging. I think it was unfortunate that somebody didn't step in to save him on the brink and that he felt like he had no other options. But that doesn't change the rest of it.

Suicide is not an answer to any real problem. It may be the only solution some people feel like they have, but that goes back to my bigger point of changing perceptions.
                            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                              You are arguing false narrative by creating one...

You might be surprised about how much people know about decisions they may have thought about making. I'll just leave it at that.

My perspective on it doesn't change. It is selfish and easier than dealing with living and working through problems.

I'm not blaming anyone nor am I judging. I think it was unfortunate that somebody didn't step in to save him on the brink and that he felt like he had no other options. But that doesn't change the rest of it.

Suicide is not an answer to any real problem. It may be the only solution some people feel like they have, but that goes back to my bigger point of changing perceptions.
                              How am I creating a false narrative? I am just explaining my view on why I do not consider people who choose suicide as "weak".

I can see your point about people having a bigger understanding about things they have thought about but not executed, I get that.

And I am not trying to change your perspective or your view, as its fruitless since it won't change, and I would not want to change it anyway since it is yours and yours alone.

22 soldiers take their life a day.

Police officers and law enforcement numbers are right behind them. Some of those guys are some of the toughest guys you would meet, not only physically, but also mentally. Suicide is just a complex and scary thing. Sometimes there are signs and sometimes there isn't.

Im just trying to understand how someone can label someone who takes their life as weak? I get the selfish part; it is indeed selfish, but weak/easy way out? Nope. I just don't get it.

What about that was easy? Every case is different, as based on the little evidence the public was given, I believe that Cornell was not in a right state of mind and might not have realized what the hell he was doing.

Others live in torment and grief for YEARS before they just can't deal anymore. I think for those that follow through, it comes from a place of strength, not weakness. The problem is getting them to redirect that strength to keep on going, like you said.

Part of the problem is the stigma that surrounds it. In a lot of professions, much like the airline industry, it is frowned upon. I can only speak for law enforcement, but the same issues plague us as well. Fear of being judged or removed from duty etc. Police are supposed to be strong in the face of danger, but they hurt as they are human too, so how can they be depressed etc?

I just think its unfair to label someone weak because they could not figure out how to push forward and felt there was no other option. If anything, WE as society are weak for not figuring out how to better serve the people who struggle with mental health issues by 2017.

Comment

Working...
                              X